Page 1 of 2
So, a huge oppertunity has opened up for me to join this band, which is all experimental, ambient rock instrumental.
http://www.myspace.com/godisanastronaut

And been ampless right now and getting ALOT of money fairly soon I can splash out for a nice amp with endless cleans. I dont need overdrive at all. If it has good od, thats a plus.

Im looking into Fenders, but dont know what one to look at because of all the god damn different names I prefere american voiced if possible but Im willing to try any out.

So any suggestions on a few fenders or anyother company would be great, no price limit either so dont worry

And now another thing. a nice delay pedal. Its one of the most important aspects of my sound. So it has to be quality. But not a pedal Im afraid to get wrecked or anything lol! Any suggestions?

As for over drive, Im getting two tubescreamers, one for od and another for boost.

And whatever else I need I will update the thread.

Cheers for the help!
Yeah, I'd go for a Fender. Anything above 40 watts should give you more clean headroom than you'll ever need.

Maybe consider a Vox AC30 as well.

EDIT: as for a delay, well, I know Roland makes a tape echo simulator. And Moog makes a very expensive (but likely very good) analog delay.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Mar 29, 2008,
You should definatly get a fender amp, can't point you to a specific model though. As for delay, you should go with an electro-harmonix deluxe memory man, best delay on the market, although its really pricey.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
If you can afford it get a Two Rock. I finally got a chance to try one yesterday and the cleans were AMAZING.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Fender Hotrod or Blues series.
Or, if you can pick up a ceriatone blackface (I don't know how much you will spend).
Make sure to get a higher wattage so you get more clean headroom.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Or, if you can pick up a ceriatone blackface (I don't know how much you will spend).

+1 to that

also look into used musicman amps from the 70s and 80s. they have a GREAT clean and reverb is pretty amazing also. I'm telling you it sounds like a Deluxe reverb or the like not quite as good but like a small version of it

also look into a Roland JC-120
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Are you looking for straight up plain clean, or something centered around clean/mild OD tones? I've been scoping out some clean amps for a while, but the OD was important to me too. Dr. Z makes some really nice amps for those tones. Carr and Divided by 13 were also some others I was checking out, but hella pricey. Check out the Paisley clips at the bottom of this page, those Z's sound badass. http://www.drzamps.com/rxes.html

Want to see a cool vid? This guy Troy Grady goes to Ultrasound studios in NYC. They let you rent rehearsal time to play thru their amps, and then let you deduct the cost if you actually buy an amp, since they are a dealer too. Some kickass amps he demos. Not much straight cleans, just so many boutique amps, it's fun to watch. http://www.troygrady.com/mov/amps.mov

By the way, if you can get anywhere near decent prices on the Cornford stuff, check out the new MkII 50, it's supposed to be a phenomenal amp. A friend of mine just got one, and he absolutely loves it. That reminds me, I "think" the Cornford Guthrie uses is a MkI. Such a sick player. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If you're looking for clean-cleans, then Roland Jazz Chorus pretty much dominates that. I hear they handle pedals exceptionally well.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
If you're looking for clean-cleans, then Roland Jazz Chorus pretty much dominates that. I hear they handle pedals exceptionally well.

They handle SOME pedals really well. The Jazz Chorus' strength lies in its ability to amplify your guitar tone with minimal colouring of the signal.

I'm sure you understand what that means, but for some other people who might not, this means it REALLY shows through if your using a bad guitar/bad pickups/bad pedals or play sloppy.

So while they have the clearest sound of most amps out there, depending on the player & the other gear, the could also be the worst amp for them.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Wulver
Yeah, I'd go for a Fender. Anything above 40 watts should give you more clean headroom than you'll ever need.

Maybe consider a Vox AC30 as well.

EDIT: as for a delay, well, I know Roland makes a tape echo simulator. And Moog makes a very expensive (but likely very good) analog delay.

I was thinking of looking at 80 watts the most. If I could find one I liked it would be a plus.

As much as I like the AC30 its not what I would be looking for!

Ah, Moog, one company I forgot. I was also looking at a T-rex delay. Are they good? Going by the price they would want to be lol!

Quote by deathbyawesome
You should definatly get a fender amp, can't point you to a specific model though. As for delay, you should go with an electro-harmonix deluxe memory man, best delay on the market, although its really pricey.

Yeah I was looking into them, they seem pretty good!

Quote by soul_power
If you can afford it get a Two Rock. I finally got a chance to try one yesterday and the cleans were AMAZING.

Do you know what model it was you were playing? They seem very interesting!!
Quote by darkarbiter7

I played the hotrod for a good while, thought it was nice but I thought I could do better seeing as I have the money!
I will look into the Ceriatone Blackface, can they assemble it for me ya?
And definally a high wattage!

Quote by Erock503
Are you looking for straight up plain clean, or something centered around clean/mild OD tones? I've been scoping out some clean amps for a while, but the OD was important to me too. Dr. Z makes some really nice amps for those tones. Carr and Divided by 13 were also some others I was checking out, but hella pricey. Check out the Paisley clips at the bottom of this page, those Z's sound badass. http://www.drzamps.com/rxes.html

Want to see a cool vid? This guy Troy Grady goes to Ultrasound studios in NYC. They let you rent rehearsal time to play thru their amps, and then let you deduct the cost if you actually buy an amp, since they are a dealer too. Some kickass amps he demos. Not much straight cleans, just so many boutique amps, it's fun to watch. http://www.troygrady.com/mov/amps.mov

By the way, if you can get anywhere near decent prices on the Cornford stuff, check out the new MkII 50, it's supposed to be a phenomenal amp. A friend of mine just got one, and he absolutely loves it. That reminds me, I "think" the Cornford Guthrie uses is a MkI. Such a sick player. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik

Well, its pure clean with very very slight break-up. Check out the songs in the link and you will see what Im talking about

Checked out Dr. Z, Very nice. But no clips of just clean! But none the less Im gonna look into them!

The video didnt work

Yeah I will look into cornford, but the only place I could find them cheap doesnt stock them any more
Quote by soul_power

which TR did you play?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I'm not really contributing but just wanna say GIAA are ****ing awesome!

Good luck if you get to join them!
Quote by deathbyawesome

+1.

Look into the Deluxe Reverb, or was it the Twin, I can't remember.

All I know is that one had too much clean headroom, and one had not enough.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by False_God
How does the twin reverb hold up does anyone know?

i'll probably get hurt for this, but i was never impressed with the [reissue] twin reverbs' clean. it just didn't sparkle, and maybe because the bright switch was left off as it's too piercing. but fender's hot rods and blues junior have the sparkliness i was looking for.

hate to say it, but from the amp's i tried, a mark III or IV has my favorite rounded/glassy/fendery clean. and yeah, i guess it's kinda the opposite of what you're looking for, with all the versatility... sorry ha. the orange rockerverb has very nice cleans too (and great drive, so it's a plus i guess).
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i'll probably get hurt for this, but i was never impressed with the [reissue] twin reverbs' clean. it just didn't sparkle, and maybe because the bright switch was left off as it's too piercing. but fender's hot rods and blues junior have the sparkliness i was looking for.

hate to say it, but from the amp's i tried, a mark III or IV has my favorite rounded/glassy/fendery clean. and yeah, i guess it's kinda the opposite of what you're looking for, with all the versatility... sorry ha. the orange rockerverb has very nice cleans too (and great drive, so it's a plus i guess).

So would it be better to look for a older model twin? Because I found a silverface model from 1975.

I will look into the rockerverb definally. They are cheap enough too!
Last edited by False_God at Mar 30, 2008,
Quote by igotabcrich32
which TR did you play?

I'm pretty sure it was a Jet.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Older Fender if possible, the cleans are amazing.

Delay, for ambient noises try the DL-4, and if you can afford it also get a Deluxe memory man. The two delays will rock.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by False_God
So would it be better to look for a older model twin? Because I found a silverface model from 1975.

I will look into the rockerverb definally. They are cheap enough too!

my other friend has a 70s silverface twin, and though i haven't played it in a few months, i remember it blew me away the first time hahah. check with mr. hankey, since he lives/breathes fender

and god, the rockerverb is just amazing... *drools*
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by False_God
$3000 for the Jet head.
Only 20 watts tho..

You can usually get pretty good deals on used ones. http://instruments.search.ebay.com/two-rock_Musical-Instruments_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ619 and if you decide you don't like it keep in mind that you will easily be able to make all your money back.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Any Fender Tube Combo, srsly

My supersonics cleans are so shimmery and smooth, and using single coils give it that nice round glassy sound.

And there is so much headroom, so cranking it wont make it dirty
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Roland jc
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by Lightitup
Older Fender if possible, the cleans are amazing.

Delay, for ambient noises try the DL-4, and if you can afford it also get a Deluxe memory man. The two delays will rock.

Have a damn big list of delays to try out, tho the DMM is really tempting me now

Quote by UnsignedRecords
my other friend has a 70s silverface twin, and though i haven't played it in a few months, i remember it blew me away the first time hahah. check with mr. hankey, since he lives/breathes fender

and god, the rockerverb is just amazing... *drools*

Would you compare the Silver face twin to the RV?

Quote by soul_power
You can usually get pretty good deals on used ones. http://instruments.search.ebay.com/two-rock_Musical-Instruments_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ619 and if you decide you don't like it keep in mind that you will easily be able to make all your money back.

Bookmarked that page, and will keep a look out for them

Quote by Teh GIR
Any Fender Tube Combo, srsly

My supersonics cleans are so shimmery and smooth, and using single coils give it that nice round glassy sound.

And there is so much headroom, so cranking it wont make it dirty

Well Im gonna aim above 40 watts to get max head room. But I will definally play around to see. More than likely with mic'ing up a lower wattage could be the way to aim.
Quote by False_God
Would you compare the Silver face twin to the RV?

hm, their cleans are both great, just a little different. twin's cleans are clean and glassy, but for some reason, the rv just seems to jangle and chime. i can vaguely hear someone hitting a bell everytime i hit a note. it's weird o_O
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Well the Supersonic is 60 watts on the combo

and its PLENTY loud

Its also got besides the amazing cleans, amazing high gain/ med gain tones on the burn channel

So its very versatile of you need a lot of different tones
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by UnsignedRecords
hm, their cleans are both great, just a little different. twin's cleans are clean and glassy, but for some reason, the rv just seems to jangle and chime. i can vaguely hear someone hitting a bell everytime i hit a note. it's weird o_O

I have been listening to clips that I found and the RV seems to be more what Im going for. Must try and play one!

Quote by Teh GIR
Well the Supersonic is 60 watts on the combo

and its PLENTY loud

Its also got besides the amazing cleans, amazing high gain/ med gain tones on the burn channel

So its very versatile of you need a lot of different tones

I played the supersonic for a few minutes only. Didnt get to crank it tho, so I felt it was mediocre. But as I said, didnt get to crank it at all. Might give it another go.

Well for once the key here isnt versatility!
Quote by False_God
I have been listening to clips that I found and the RV seems to be more what Im going for. Must try and play one!

it's a must try! hopefully it does work out for you. cause then you could ship over to me on weekends...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
it's a must try! hopefully it does work out for you. cause then you could ship over to me on weekends...

Haha! And you can ship the Mark to me
i like that idea actually

so uh, yeah... go on and get that orange... hahaha.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
i like that idea actually

so uh, yeah... go on and get that orange... hahaha.

haha, ok. *sets off on a dark mystical jouney with one mission and one mission only*
twin reverb they will not break up. Cleanest beast There is.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I would say look into a Twin Reverb, but if you don't have the money then a Hotrod Deluxe/Deville would suit you too. The JC-120 seems far too sterile with no character.
Get a rockerverb
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
one more suggestion for a delay: go ahead and get whatever modern one you want, but also get a vintage tape delay. Univox tape echoes are on eBay almost constantly, and it would give you a greater variety in your tonal palette. Also, I'm not sure if you can get digital delays to oscillate or not....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
^Actually I was looking into one of those a while back.

Would I not have to buy tapes eventually?
Probably yes, but I'd imagine not very often. Depends on the pedal too, I guess.

Of course finding tapes can be difficult for discontinued pedals - or not, what do I know. But might be a good idea to check it out.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Thats what I would be afraid of.

I might look into the newer models. Seeing them go for 400euro which aint too bad.

Tho the first two Im checking out are the DMM and T-rex.
Carr Rambler. Seriously, sounds like the most perfect amp to ever have existed, to my ears at least.

Info
Clips

I know you said about wanting at least 40W for headroom, but it would go plenty loud enough with un-miked cleans for most situations. And you could always get a more efficient speaker if need be.

If it's not enough for you though, there are some specific Ceriatone clones I'd recommend -

Super
BandMaster
Overtone

I think the Fenders are about 40W each, and the Dumble copy is 50W.

Hope that all helps
Page 1 of 2