Well i just started noticing this because i have recently stopped ancoring my palm on the bottom two string. When i play something on the high E,B, or G strings and then dampen it, the low E string will ring with a harmonic like sound. Nothing (including my hand) is hitting the string and it goes away when i anchor my palm there, i don't want to anchor any more so does anyone have any idea what this could be

it's an ibanez RG 370 if that helps
It's called "string resonance" or "sympathetic resonance." From Wikipedia:

String resonance occurs on string instruments. Strings or parts of strings may resonate at their fundamental or overtone frequencies when other strings are sounded. For example, an A string at 440 Hz will cause an E string at 330 Hz to resonate, because they share an overtone of 1320 Hz (3rd overtone of A and 4th overtone of E).

Both left and right hand muting are important. "Anchoring" your palm isn't exactly anchoring--it is simply part of right hand muting. If you don't mute the lower strings when you play on the high ones, you'll eventually end up with a bunch of muddy garbage
I always have my hand resting on the bridge, close enough that it isn't palm muting and not far away either. I feel fully comfortable, and I can palm mute instantly!
Quote by Serendipity
It's called "string resonance" or "sympathetic resonance." From Wikipedia:

Both left and right hand muting are important. "Anchoring" your palm isn't exactly anchoring--it is simply part of right hand muting. If you don't mute the lower strings when you play on the high ones, you'll eventually end up with a bunch of muddy garbage

so that's not bad? i assumed that was anchoring. Thanks for the info
Quote by Dance_of_Death

No problemo, it's part of proper technique. Anchoring is when you put a finger on a part of the body and use it as a reference point in regards to the strings. It's most commonly the pinky finger placed near the pickups.
Quote by Dance_of_Death

I dont know if thats considered anchoring or not...
but on my strat i pick between neck and middle pickup (pretty close to the neck pickup) and i can access palm mutes and all taht jazz and being able to mute, but more importantly going from string to string isnt a problem
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by diminishedtobme
Practice using the fleshy part of your right hand to mute unused strings.

+1
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
I really wonder how Friedman can play stuff well, because his right hand technique doesn't always allow him to mute those strings when soloing, and he doesn't mute with his left hand either...