So I was listening to hurt for the 5,000th time and I still can't get over that distorted and sickeningly excellent effect they have on the acoustic guitar. I can't figure out how the heck Trent got it to sound that way... It sounds almost like severe abuse of compression because there's so much noise and its so... crushed.... sounding.... Do any of you happen to know how they made the acoustic guitar sound as it does on the studio version of Hurt?
GEAR:

Jackson Dinky DX-10D Amber Sunburst (W/ EMG-81, EMG-85)
EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
Trent's recording studio has $300,000 worth of effects processors alone!
Almost every instrument in his music is heavily processed and he does all sorta weird techniques to get unique sounds out of this instruments.
Thats why Trent and NIN are so freaking amazing!!!

Okay, the guitar is just a distorted acoustic guitar recorded about 5 times.
It is actually a mix of clean and distorted guitars. Placed all over the track and they come and go blending into each other.
The ambient noise most probably is just a synth whose level is gated to probably the guitar or some sorta LFO with a weird wave pattern.

Like its all just heavily processed instruments. And some clever use of synths.

Acutually among listening to it again, there is a very heavily distorted and heavily compressed acoustic guitar playing during the verses. It has been heavily processed through loads of filters so it almost sounds like noise which has been compressed and gated. Probably.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Mar 30, 2008,
^ af_the_fragile Wow thanks man, the reason I was wondering is because I wanted to cover it with my band. I guess any crazy effects can come either by accident or playing around. That song gives me the chills every time i hear it. It's an extremely haunting song.
GEAR:

Jackson Dinky DX-10D Amber Sunburst (W/ EMG-81, EMG-85)
EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
^Its never easy trying to replicate NIN's sounds. The clean samples of his instruments sound nothing like the heavily processed stuff on the album. He just spends most of his time processing the instruments to get different and unique sounds out of them. He makes up his own synths, instruments and effects. I remember when he was speaking bout this distortion effect he made up on NI's Reaktor software which when routed to a pedal sounded like the most ultimate distortion pedal on this universe!
you should listen to the johnny cash version of that song. its amazing. it actually shows how much of a great song writer trent is. im generally distracted when i listen to NIN.
Agreed with the guy up there... its multiple recordings laid on top of eachother. You have to stack tracks to make guitars sound huge... and you gotta play it really close to the same every time.. then it sounds BIG. I do this on all of my tracks.

Check this one out to see what I mean about big guitars - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=861993
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music