can any drum pros give me a quick or even detailed explanation of the tuning of drum kits?

i always get the same thing when i ask, what are drums tuned to? they say, "depends"

but i really would like to know specifics. i understand everyone's kit is different and parts can be different and tuned differently. but can drums be tuned to a key? does it sound better when in the same key as the guitar? is it common for snares to be the same percussive note as the bass drum? are cymbols tuned to a note? what are common note intervals of the toms or other drums, on a 3 peice set?(bass, snare, 2 toms, and floor tom). are there drum tuners?

just throw me anything you might know about drums and tuning.
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
Drums are not tuned to a key. Just tighten them until you've got them soundings good. It really is all preference.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
i understand its all about preference, but another question. Does anybody happen to know any specifics about any preferences any pro's might use involving tuning drums to notes?
If you dont find theory interesting, then DONT study it. IF your TRULY serious about playing guitar(enjoying), then EVENTUALLY you WILL WANT to study it.
I don't know much about this...
There are drum tuners, you can just do it by ear though.
It does sound better when the drums are in the same key as the guitar. But this doesn't really matter much, and it takes so ****ing long to tune a drum set anyway.
You can tune your drums to whatever notes you want, really.
1) Yes drums can be tuned to a key. Terry Bozzios kit has a range of two octaves (chromatic).

2) In theory yes, but nobody can really tell.

3) It is not common for the two to be tuned to the same note, because the dnare "drum" is not what produces the sound. It is the snapping of those little wires underneath.

4)Cymbals are tuned to a note, Terry bozzio has his cymbals arranged in A harmonic minor.

5)I don't know about a "common" interval but MY middle tom is a minor third above my floor tom, and my high tom is a perfect fourth above my floor tom. My snare drum is tight so I can roll well. My bass drum is an octave below my floor tom. It could be anything really.

6) There are no real drum "tuners" in the sense of guitar tuners, but you just tell by ear perfect fourth/fifth etc.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yes they are. Danny Carey of Tool tunes his to the key of D for gigs, I believe.

Good for him. The fact is a drum kit is not pitched percussion. Drums are used to keep time, not melody or harmony.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
hm... most helpful, keep it coming guys.
unless you are tuning timpani, just turn the key like a quarter turn and hit until you get a sound you like. With timpani they are tuned to a set pitch and it gets more difficult.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm