So basically, I put the action on my Ibanez pretty high (for me at least). It is around 1 cm at the 12th fret. I though I could do this because it could strengthen my hands and what not, but are there any health risks OR bass risks to doing so?

EDIT: Wait, I measured wrong. Its actually only about half a cm. So I don't think its too bad, but the question still should be asked.
I can't see it having any noticeable effect on strength. Only discomfort. I might be wrong, but eh, that's me. If nothing else, you'll play slower with it higher, but you may be able to increase the strength a little.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
The action on my Warwick i set to about 8mm at the moment, I have noticed it much easier to play when I get on friends basses and the like, with their action around 3-4mm. I dunno though, I might get it lowered when i receive my new set of strings, but there's a certain slap sound you get with high action that I can't seem to replicate with silky-smooth, hug the neck type action.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
You could also try putting heavier strings on the bass.

I've found that since I've been playing my BEAD-dedicated Ibanez (with a 5-string set), playing on my standard tuning, medium-gauge Jazz copy is a lot easier.
Quote by Charlatan_001
You could also try putting heavier strings on the bass.

I've found that since I've been playing my BEAD-dedicated Ibanez (with a 5-string set), playing on my standard tuning, medium-gauge Jazz copy is a lot easier.

I second that, after playing a year and a bit with my warwick, going back to my ibanez SR knockoff is proving to be allot easier to play on, due to lower action and a smaller string gauge.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
i don't see the point of this.. it's not like it takes any strength to hold down the strings with normal action anyways.. building endurance is far more important than strength.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
You'll probably hurt the tips of your fingers until you get used to it...

But I don't see what else.

--Arojekt.
R.I.P. Andrew Thomas Butler - 11/07/07. You're in our hearts forever, man.

Setup:
Traben Phoenix 5-String Bass.
Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX 4-String Bass: Blue (For Sale. Contact me if you're interested.)
Dingwall Afterburner II 5-String Bass.
if you play really hard it might be a lil easier for the strings to pop out of the nut

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Health-wise the only risk I could see is possible strain of your wrists and fingers, but I assume you know if it hurts, stop. I could actually see this making your fingers somewhat stronger, but it would also make you perceive playing regular setup basses a lot easier to play. That said, I'm not a big fan of handicapping oneself to improve playing. I always here the "if it's poorly setup and you practise on it, then go back to your bass it'll seem so easy." Well, yeah, there's that, or you could just practise on a comfortable bass from the start, save time and energy. Personally, unless you're doing this for some kind of huge fret buzz error, then I recommend against it, but it's not my decision.
having a high action maybe be bad for your hands
also if you are presing really hard your frets could damage a bit every time
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Oh my goodnes gracious yes! Having your action high can be bad. When I had the action on my 5-string set hig, my fingers would actually slide underneath the string and tick me off so much it's not even funny.

I prefer low actions unless I'm slapping, then the higher the better for me.
Quote by Captain Insano
Doesn't higher action make for better tone.

for popping/slapping, the pop will be louder, and the slaps will be louder because you're using more force to hit the neck. other than being louder, i'm pretty sure it doesn't make any tonal difference.

But i can confirm this loudness effect because i have accidently put the action on my jazz way too low and it was more quiet.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.