I've read a lot on screaming (in a musical sense) and how to do it and what to avoid. Yet I still have trouble pulling it off. So I was hoping for some info from any of you who may have experience with screams? How long did it take you to learn? What techniques did you use? What would you recommend?

Also, do you think the ability to scream in this sense is a natural talent or can anyone learn it?
some people just can't scream man. i know for a fact i can't, i've tried it. i just sound like an old geezard coughing up a lung afterwards.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by teegman
Screaming doesn't need learning, otherwise you're defeating the point of screaming.

true, but you can seriously mess up your voice doing this, like davey havok from afi, i think he had to have surgery because he was makeing his throat bleed every time he did it.

so moral of the story, it doesnt need learning, but to do it write you need some help, so you dont screw yourself over.

and to TS, what songs are you doing it too? is it something you feel strongly about, because sometimes i cant do it because i just dont "feel" it.

and also are you keeping hydrated, you cant really do it if you have eaten certain things recently, like dairy kinda screws me up, and alot of soda can screw me up too. just stick to water.

*note: i am not a professional at screaming, i just started trying, and thought i would say some things that i personally have found.
I don't know how to explain it, really. It came so naturally to me. I listened to metal enough to where I could do it effortlessly. I can pull out metalcore Killswitch Engage/All That Remains type screams easily, but I have trouble doing growls and screamo screams.

But to get back to helping, maybe pick up the Zen of Screaming?

Anyone can learn how to scream...it's doing it properly with no pain involved, and with plenty of breaths and diaphragm pressure to make it clear, that takes practice.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Thebiz
I don't know how to explain it, really. It came so naturally to me. I listened to metal enough to where I could do it effortlessly. I can pull out metalcore Killswitch Engage/All That Remains type screams easily, but I have trouble doing growls and screamo screams.

But to get back to helping, maybe pick up the Zen of Screaming?

Anyone can learn how to scream...it's doing it properly with no pain involved, and with plenty of breaths and diaphragm pressure to make it clear, that takes practice.

yeah same it came naturally and i listen to alot of old avenged sevenfold and the more i do it the better and louder i get
Just try it, i can guarantee you havent tried it cos your to afraid of people hearing you.
Quote by punkextremest
Steve owns it again lol

Quote by Steve The Plank
I always own it, you know that.

Good old Steve =D
Quote by Paquijón
If you ever want to have a tolerable singing voice don't scream.

wrong.
case in point: Jari maenpaa
We walked into the night

Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed

Is for you?
Ive kicked my little bros ass a few times for screaming lycrics unproperly.......its a very fine art
Quote by Beast-Wyvern
wrong.
case in point: Jari maenpaa

Yeah, you're right; allow me to correct myself:

If you ever want to be a GOOD singer, don't scream.

EDIT: It's incredible how involved people have become with screaming. Up until recently I didn't think there was much thought put into it, but it's a technique like any other.
Last edited by Paquijón at Mar 30, 2008,
Don't use your throat, use your stomach (if that makes sense).
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by Paquijón

EDIT: It's incredible how involved people have become with screaming. Up until recently I didn't think there was much thought put into it, but it's a technique like any other.

Case in point: Devin Townsend
3 places / things to look at...
1. the growling thread in the metal forum.
2. www.angelagossow.com - there is an entire section dedicated to screaming techniques
3. buy the dvd 'the zen of screaming' by melissa cross. it's in a lot of music / guitar stores.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by SRX700
Don't use your throat, use your stomach (if that makes sense).

Very correct! Thats what a lot of people stumble on.
Quote by punkextremest
Steve owns it again lol

Quote by Steve The Plank
I always own it, you know that.

Good old Steve =D
Quote by sneyob
have someone jump out and scare you

it comes naturally

Best. March. 08'er.
This week I have mostly been listening to...

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
As an additional remark, I would advise everybody to stfu and listen to Buz XD

Quote by Paquijón

Case in point: Mikael Åkerfeldt
Case in point: Mike Portnoy

Quote by Buz O)))
Best. March. 08'er.

+1
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
a trick i learned....that can keep you from damaging your throat too much, and actually have some vocal control of your scream...is to bite down on a pencil and practice throwing your voice "over" the pencil. its kinda hard to explain over the internet, but look around and you might be able to find a better explanation of it.

edit: and of course breathe into the diaphragm (think thats spelt right) not into your chest, and when you let out your scream, focus on something far away from you and imagine you want your voice to reach it.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Last edited by RageAgnstUrJaw at Mar 30, 2008,
from what i've learnt, it's very akin to singing, in that alot of things are required.

proper breathing

constant hydration (you may be trying to do it without hurting your throat, but even singers need to drink heaps)

just look up tips on singing and use them, for example, you must use alot of force, but if it ever starts hurting, then stop.

there is definetely a way to scream and growl and grunt and squeal all you want without damaging your voice in anyway, look at tommy rogers from between the buried and me, he can do any vocal technique under the sun, yet he can still sing beautifully, and has a normal voice.

and aswell as singing, remember anyone can do it, but it just varies on how good it sounds.
Last edited by sweet_requiem at Mar 30, 2008,
Right now I'm trying to increase my lung capacity...I have to take semi-deep to deep breaths to do my best screams at the moment, and I start to lose good clarity and my voice starts to crack after a while.

Anyone know any tricks to help me with this?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
yeah dont push from your throat i did that way to much and ended up getting a node on my vocal chords and had to have surgery to remove it...but pushing from your diaphragm and stomach are the best ways to do it.
Gear:
Ibanez GAX 30
Fender mexi tele <3 holy mother of god im in love
digitech D-7 distortion pedal
line 6 delay pedal
heartke 4x12 320 watt cab
Marshall MGHDFX100
try honey or lemon. hell even that cherry throat spray helps. i cant remember the name of it though...but im pretty sure you know what im talking about.
Gear:
Ibanez GAX 30
Fender mexi tele <3 holy mother of god im in love
digitech D-7 distortion pedal
line 6 delay pedal
heartke 4x12 320 watt cab
Marshall MGHDFX100
Quote by InvaderTSN
Are you going through puberty right now?

I can pull it off.....

But, practice is all I can say. You have it when you can make the right noise, without ruining your throat. and practice your breathing. I for some reason neve had problems with breathing.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by Paquijón
If you ever want to have a tolerable singing voice don't scream.

Not true. Listen to Opeth. Besides, I can scream, and still have a good singing voice.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!