Page 1 of 2
Hey, I've been playing now for about 4 years and haven't really gained a large amount of callouses. I have read on the forums that Eric Clapton uses rubbing alcohol to dip his fingers into 3 - 4 times a day... I was wondering, what else can I do / use to gain callouses because i can't get any rubbing alcohol.. I was thinking something like nail polish remover if it would do the same thing as rubbing alcohol but I don't know.. Please please help..

Cheers
Last edited by frusciante_funk at Mar 30, 2008,
lol wut?
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
they don't have rubbing alcohol where you live? and other than rubing your fingertips on a rough surface I have no idea...
Quote by david_highland
they don't have rubbing alcohol where you live? and other than rubing your fingertips on a rough surface I have no idea...

do u mean like getting like 1200 grit sand paper or sumthin??
or buy those grip things from guitar center or just stop being a puss and play guitar more
Quote by frusciante_funk
i play gat like 3-4 hours a day.. my fingers arnt hurting im jus wanting to get callouses. what about nail pollish remover? whould that do the same thing

You could try brine. Bare knuckle fighters use it to toughen up their knuckles
Quote by frusciante_funk
do u mean like getting like 1200 grit sand paper or sumthin??

well I suppose that could work, but playing your guitar should have the same effect. I hardly have any callouses either cause I play on such light strings but if it's an option having a spare guitar with heavy guage strings on it might be good...and I don't know about where you're from but where I'm from you can buy rubbing alcohol at pretty much any store...
Quote by mckraf
how can you not get rubbing alcohol?

really? you cant? i find it really hard to believe that their isn't like a CVS or anything near you
incubus rocks my world
Quote by ShamiqSevenfold
"rubbing alcohol" as in some kind of remover or thinner?im confused,what the hell is that?

A.K.A. nail polish remover
incubus rocks my world
Why would you want calluses if your fingers aren't hurting?

Anyway, what calluses are, is a layer of dead, dry skin. If you have your fingers in water a lot, then your skin won't dry as easily. Rubbing alcohol helps with drying the skin.
Well yes it is easier, but that's because it doesn't hurt as much.

Think about it, if you do not have a problem with your fingertips hurting now, then why would a layer of dead skin help you play better? In this case, it would just make your fingertips less sensitive to touch.

Just consider yourself lucky that you don't need calluses.
Quote by nrc141
A.K.A. nail polish remover

Rubbing alcohol=either Isopropyl Alcohol or denatured ethanol

Nail polish remover= Acetone or other ketone based organic compound.
You could rub dirt or salt on your skin.

Or you could be a man and put 12's on your axe.
i saw on a website
You want and need calluses to play proper guitar.
Practice till you bleed! (just kiddin') Eventually the calluses will make it easier for you, and the notes will ring truer and cleaner.
Just play. With enough playing and bending/sliding you'll get something rubbing alcohol won't give you. Experience. I mean I'm sure genetics has something to do with it, but I just can't imagine it being too hard to get callouses from playing all the time. Maybe I'm blessed.
Last edited by BChill at Mar 31, 2008,
Do you think its a good idea to give your fingers a chance to recover a bit when first playing, or just keep going until they toughen up. I'm playing morning and evening on a heavy steel string acoustic and my finger tips are just numb and tingly all the time from the abuse they're getting. The numbness is making it quite difficult to feel my way around the strings as I'm learning. I wonder if I should give the guitar a complete rest for 24 / 36 hours to let them settle down a bit?
Quote by frusciante_funk
What about meths?? another 1 i thought of..

Rowers use meths sometimes to harden up their hands when they get blisters and the like, but if you play and it doesn't hurt surely you already have calluses?

Quote by Kevin T
Do you think its a good idea to give your fingers a chance to recover a bit when first playing, or just keep going until they toughen up. I'm playing morning and evening on a heavy steel string acoustic and my finger tips are just numb and tingly all the time from the abuse they're getting. The numbness is making it quite difficult to feel my way around the strings as I'm learning. I wonder if I should give the guitar a complete rest for 24 / 36 hours to let them settle down a bit?

Might as well... can't do any harm
Or use gloves when washing the dishes to preserve your freshly-earned callouses after practice?

Or play an acoustic more?
Play more, seriously calousses come from constant playing.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Play an acoustic that has heavier UNCOATED strings more.

Either that or do like Stevie Ray did and cut off the skin of your heel and superglue it to your fingertips. Instant callouses.
dude, just play a lot, i've been playing for three years, no (big) callouses, and haven't been hurting. basically, nut up, play, and wait.
The tried and true method is always best, play, and play alot, thats what I did, and I had calluses within the first week I started playing.
Ok - so I'll just crack on. No recovery time for my throbbing digits! The calluses are already coming
i dont have calluses but my fingers never hurt. I believe its from working at a cafe my whole of my teenage life and constantly having my hand in and around water. Just a theory of mine though
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
LOL

My fingers were quite raw at first. I remember I couldnt even practice cause it just hurt! I took a day off here and there and just kept practicing. I got some nice callouses to be proud of!
Quote by ze monsta
You shouldn't play past the point where it hurts. Because then you can get scarring, which isn't good. It may resemble a callous but it will hurt even more.

Thats why I took days off to heal up.
Quote by A Tua Prima
Take up tennis. It destroys my right hand. Covers it with callouses

Hopefully you play guitar left handed.
Page 1 of 2