Page 1 of 2
The book, movie or whatever. I just saw the movie and I was moved (to be specific I was in the fetal position, but in a good way).

Anyone else?
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
great soundtrack by eddie vedder, one of the best OSTs ever i think....

have to see the movie!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Yeah the soundtrack is beautiful.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

i thought it was an amazing film along with an amazing soutrack by Mr. Vedder. I was especially moved by the scene where Chris was gonna make a phonecall, but there was the old man next to him who seemed to be begging his wife not hang up on him. He gave him the money to make another call. Simply amazing.
Quote by JimiVai
i thought it was an amazing film along with an amazing soutrack by Mr. Vedder. I was especially moved by the scene where Chris was gonna make a phonecall, but there was the old man next to him who seemed to be begging his wife not hang up on him. He gave him the money to make another call. Simply amazing.

That was a great scene. I also loved the one with Ron, who asked if he could be his grandfather.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I can say, with full confidence in my masculinity, that I cried when I saw it in the theater. Truly incredible film.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Haven't seen the movie but I read the book in American Lit in the 10th grade. All I can remember is that my teacher was a bitch and the book was pretty good.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I highly recommend the movie.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I personally found the movie absolutely inspiring.

The ending was so powerful, and I wish I could say more about it. Even if it is a true story, some people may not know how it turns out.

I also thought Vedder (and Kaki King!) did a great job on the soundtrack.

The character of Christopher/Alex makes me wish I could be that kind of person.
What a coincedence, I watched this movie just last night.

Quote by terrencemaddox
That was a great scene. I also loved the one with Ron, who asked if he could be his grandfather.

Yeah that scene was really touching. I felt bad for Ron though after the movie finished.

Did anyone else feel that Chris was making a big scene out of nothing? I mean, his parents weren't that bad (well, they didn't seem that bad from what the movie gave away).
I think he had some mental illness or something.

Brilliant movie though.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
I had to read the book for english. I have an exam on it tomorrow that is worth zero of my final mark. It was boring and i'm going to fail
Quote by nipplezthemouse
does anyone know if its out/coming out in theaters in australia?

It came out in selected cinemas I believe. I remember really wanting to see it but it didn't come out anywhere near me. Your best bet would be to buy the DVD off Amazon or other means if you get me.

Great movie. Really moving and the best soundtrack ever. 10/10.
i hated the book. i couldn't get past chapter two pretty much. i hated the writing style, it was too dry IMO. never seen the movie.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by nipplezthemouse
does anyone know if its out/coming out in theaters in australia?

Yeah it came out a while ago. It's not on anymore though, so just hire the DVD like I did.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
Amazing movie, I am looking forward to reading the book. The soundtrack is amazing as well. The only thing I dont really understand is why did he never fish? Maybe he did so in the book, but I dont recall him fishing in the movie.
I watched it a couple weeks ago. I admit, I cried. And the soundtrack was amazing as well. I'll probably watch it again soon.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
We just watched the move in my American Lit class and read the original article, Death of an Innocent. They were both really sad, but amazing.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
One of my favorite books.. I love the whole Transcendentalist movement and so the entire thing was very intriguing and relateable.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by digimon go!
the book was alright
we're talking about the book written by jack london, right?

No, that's Call of the Wild. The one about dogs.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by digimon go!
the book was alright
we're talking about the book written by jack london, right?

You're thinking about Call of the Wild, this is the true story of Chris McCandless, a man who went to Alaska to live off the land and his story.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
its my avatar!

I own the movie, book and soundtrack. i have to say they are amazing!! sean penn did a great job directing and vedder was the perfect person to make the music.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by terrencemaddox
The book, movie or whatever. I just saw the movie and I was moved (to be specific I was in the fetal position, but in a good way).

Anyone else?

i kinda thought the "based on a true story" thing was bs. The guy they based this on went bat**** insane and ran off into the Canadian Wilderness. Most people think he had a death wish. A bit different from the whole inspirational message.

Doesn't make it any less of a good film though.
I was completely shit face ripped when I saw this film.

It was really good.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
I've watched it 3 times. Truly amazing/tragic story. I googled the hell out of Christopher McCandless and I found that the book shows both the poetic soul searcher AND pseudo-idiot sides of McCandless.

The Moose? Actually a caribou. He didn't know the diff. The guy that gave him the ride and the rubber boots begged him not to go until he prepared himself a little better.

6 miles from where he was there was a fully stocked ranger outpost that was for his exact situation. He would have found that out if he had visited the local ranger station.

I'm probably going to get a copy of the book. I've still got lots of questions.

How could you starve to death right beside an Alaskan river that would be guaranteed to hold massive amounts of fish?(artic char, grayling, cutthroats, golden trout....etc) Didn't the last person he spent time with (old dude)give him a goddamn fishing rod????

How could you lose an entire Caribou to maggots right beside a river? He obviously never thought of sinking some of the meat and working on it in small pieces. Imagine how long it would keep in that water.(+/- freezing)

He had some really good ideas but the massive holes in his preparation for Alaska killed him. It's hard to watch that kind of stuff. I'm heavily into river fishing, camping, kayaking, and I've done my share of hunting too. At least this movie tells people that you can't go deep into the bush without lots of research and prep. and expect to get out alive.

He was cool, but he was also a bit of a sh*thead.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by Guitarminator
How could you starve to death right beside an Alaskan river that would be guaranteed to hold massive amounts of fish?(artic char, grayling, cutthroats, golden trout....etc) Didn't the last person he spent time with (old dude)give him a goddamn fishing rod????

He allegedly ate some poisonous sweet pea that acts like a tapeworm, consuming his nutrients from what he eats. That's the author's theory, anyway. Seems pretty valid though.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Yeah, you have to realize that for someone completely unaccustomed to the lifestyle of climate, he last for a damn long time. If the sweet pea pod shell theory is correct and he really did die from poisoning, the entire thing is ridiculously impressive.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Suicide IMO. I think he knew about the ranger outpost. Im sure the gentleman that dropped him off at the trailhead told him a little bit about what to expect and what was out there and available. I'm sure mccandless was exploring the area and came upon the outpost as well. He was there for a four months and im sure he discovered it at one time or another. I think he was too stubborn to take anything from the outpost, and when he finally decided he needed help it was too late and he was to weak.

I also think it was a suicide because he had completed in my opinion his life goal. His goal of living out in alaska, living off the land, and once he did that where was he going to go? Back to his parents that he hated? He was a smart kid, he did this for a reason, he knew what he was doing and I think he wanted it to end the way it ended.
Well...it looked good for the movie, but this is from wiki.

Biographer Jon Krakauer suggests two factors may have contributed to McCandless's death in August, 1992. First, he was running the risk of starvation due to increased activity, compared with the leanness of the game he was hunting. [4] However, Krakauer insists starvation was not, as McCandless' death certificate states, the primary cause of death. Initially, Krakauer claimed McCandless might have ingested toxic seeds (Hedysarum alpinum). However, extensive laboratory testing proves conclusively there was no alkaloid toxin present in McCandless' food supplies. In later editions of the book, therefore, Krakauer has speculated a fungus Rhizoctonia leguminicola could have grown on the seeds McCandless ate. However, there remains no evidence to support Krakauer's theory, and all forensic data suggests starvation.

I still think it's a great movie, but this could have been a success story if he would have prepared himself with some good old fashioned knowledge.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by BikeRacer69
Suicide IMO. I think he knew about the ranger outpost. Im sure the gentleman that dropped him off at the trailhead told him a little bit about what to expect and what was out there and available. I'm sure mccandless was exploring the area and came upon the outpost as well. He was there for a four months and im sure he discovered it at one time or another. I think he was too stubborn to take anything from the outpost, and when he finally decided he needed help it was too late and he was to weak.

I also think it was a suicide because he had completed in my opinion his life goal. His goal of living out in alaska, living off the land, and once he did that where was he going to go? Back to his parents that he hated? He was a smart kid, he did this for a reason, he knew what he was doing and I think he wanted it to end the way it ended.

Check this out...it explains a lot.

http://www.terraincognitafilms.com/cw-sub/debunked.htm
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
amazing film, inspiring.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
spectacular movie...the guy who played alex (from girl next door) perfect fit to the character. I can honestly say that I was on the brink of bursting into tears during this movie just because it's that moving. When you become that involved in the plot you know the movie's great. going to read the book next.
Page 1 of 2