hi

shortly i wondered if i should buy me a boss gt-8 or line 6 POD XT live.

please post your opinion about both effect pedals.

have you already made experiences with them?

thank you for your answers.
I've only had experience with the Gt-8.
Honestly, I like analog stomp boxes better.
yikes...i love both...personally i'd go line 6 but its really just ur call, they're both awesome
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Oh dude if you can afford it check out the new boss GT 10, that things f----ing amazing
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
From hearsay reputation:

Boss: Better effects, the amps are great IF you tweak them like a madman to get them just right
Line 6: Better amp modelling (easier to be good), also good for recording
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
From hearsay reputation:

Boss: Better effects, the amps are great IF you tweak them like a madman to get them just right

+1
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Yea, speaking of the GT-10, does anyone know if the GT-10B is just as good (i.e. f*cking amazing)? Also, is the outer casing just as sturdy as that of the GT-8?
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Mar 30, 2008,
Quote by Fama
From hearsay reputation:

+1, though I have heard boss are good for recording too.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
+1, though I have heard boss are good for recording too.

Can you record through USB with the Boss?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Close call but I'd choose he GT8.

Still you can't go wrong with either.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I don't think the GT-8 has USB (I don't actually own one) but it does have Stereo analog outs and 24-bit coaxial digital out. Someone who owns a GT-8 can chime in.

It looks like the GT-10 will have USB:

" And not just for the stage—the GT-10 is also great in the studio thanks to its USB capability and digital output."

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-GT10-MultiEffects-Pedal?sku=151133

Quote by Fama
Can you record through USB with the Boss?
PodXTL. I've never been a big fan of Boss distortion or their modeling, it sounds very dry and lacks character. The XTL is much better. You've got a lot more amp and cab models to pick from unlike the typical Boss models that you see from one unit to the next. The Pod's take some time to tweak, but can really sound great if you put in the effort and understand how everything affects your sound.

Don't go for the X3L yet, Line6 still has some bugs they need to work out. Until then, go with the XTL.
Quote by Guitarmiester
PodXTL. I've never been a big fan of Boss distortion or their modeling, it sounds very dry and lacks character. The XTL is much better. You've got a lot more amp and cab models to pick from unlike the typical Boss models that you see from one unit to the next. The Pod's take some time to tweak, but can really sound great if you put in the effort and understand how everything affects your sound.

Don't go for the X3L yet, Line6 still has some bugs they need to work out. Until then, go with the XTL.

This is off topic but do you get a better lead tone out of your Vetta or your Legacy?
Quote by Osiris77
This is off topic but do you get a better lead tone out of your Vetta or your Legacy?

I really like the Legacy's lead channel, I've yet to find another amp as articulate, smooth, and warm as the Legacy. Being as versatile as the Vetta 2 is, I doubt I'm going to be able to create a patch that sounds like the Legacy. I can get some really sick tones out of the Vetta. Any sound you're after the Vetta can do it surprisingly well. I may record some clips of the Vetta this week and post them in the thread I created last week.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I really like the Legacy's lead channel, I've yet to find another amp as articulate, smooth, and warm as the Legacy. Being as versatile as the Vetta 2 is, I doubt I'm going to be able to create a patch that sounds like the Legacy. I can get some really sick tones out of the Vetta. Any sound you're after the Vetta can do it surprisingly well. I may record some clips of the Vetta this week and post them in the thread I created last week.

Sounds good I'd like to hear some hi gain lead and some rythme chug tones out of it. I have a flextone III and I can get some good lead tones but I could never get a good chug out of it.
The dual amp function makes a HUGE difference in sound. I've got a few patches mixing an 01' Dual Recto, 01 Triple Recto, 5150, JCM900, Diezel VH4, and a few others that sound good for rhythm work. Two amps at once allows me to set up complimentary EQ's to dial in one tight, focused sound. The **** you can do with the Vetta is unbelievable.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Yea, speaking of the GT-10, does anyone know if the GT-10B is just as good (i.e. f*cking amazing)? Also, is the outer casing just as sturdy as that of the GT-8?

gt-10b is for bass you want a normal gt 10
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Boss wins if you take the time to tweak it.
Pod wins if you are just playing them both out of the box.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by sg-rocker173
Boss wins if you take the time to tweak it.
Pod wins if you are just playing them both out of the box.

Not sure why some of you guys think the Pod is plug-and-play. I find the stock settings and presets to sound like ****. If you actually want a good, convincing sound, the Pod's require a good amount of tweaking and knowledge about using the parametric EQ.
Boss is probably the better choice, in sound quality, but the PODs give you more options because of the ability to connect them to a computer and download new sounds. Basically they have better expandability. I still really want to get ahold of the GT-10 from Boss, though. If you're going to spend $450, you might as well drop another $50 to get a flagship.
I think it's crazy how people are saying how good the Boss GT-10 is when it hasn't even hit stores yet...
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Quote by weemansyndrome
I think it's crazy how people are saying how good the Boss GT-10 is when it hasn't even hit stores yet...

This is UG, you should expect that around here.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Not sure why some of you guys think the Pod is plug-and-play. I find the stock settings and presets to sound like ****. If you actually want a good, convincing sound, the Pod's require a good amount of tweaking and knowledge about using the parametric EQ.

I agree. After I first got it I wasn't to sure I made the right choice, but now 6 months into it and actually learning it it's great. And yeah the presets aren't great and it took some tweaking to get what I liked. Now I can't imagine being without it. Get the XTL
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
yea, i got the x3 live. im thinking of taking a hit and trading it in for the boss just to try it. would it go better with my dean markly amp??
I'd go with the line6 so I could use it with Gearbox.
Great program that..
Not one of your original picks but I really like my DigiTech RP250 if you have not noticed. Yes, it has USB. I use Audacity with it. Go to digitech's site and find effect preset demo and put in pedal view and listen for yourself. Better live though.
all imo
the gt8 has no usb but the gt10 does.

I have a Korg AX3000g which is about the same as the gt8 (and yes i have tried them both)
I have a GT-8 and have tried the Line 6, i went for the boss gt-8 for a number of reasons. I find that the GT-8 has some really unique editing features when you hook it up to your PC with midi cables. The twin amp modelling feature really allows you to get some unique tones and better still when giging you can have different amps playing through different aspects of the PA. But what everybody has said is right, out of the box the GT-8's presets are quite weak but some of the amp models with a tad of tweaking are some of the most accurate amp models i've ever heard. Recording is terrificaly easy, with the help of an RCA adapter you just plug the line out into the sound card and it sounds pretty good. I would record you some clips but i'm crippled at the moment and can't actually hold a guitar on my knee due to a cast going from my hip to my ankle thus making the guitar slide off!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I'm kinda married to the idea of the XT Live just because the GT-8 doesn't have a jack for my Variax :-/ I had a GT-6 though, and really liked it, and I'm using a GT-3 while I save up for my XT/X3 Live.
Quote by scott58
I agree. After I first got it I wasn't to sure I made the right choice, but now 6 months into it and actually learning it it's great. And yeah the presets aren't great and it took some tweaking to get what I liked. Now I can't imagine being without it. Get the XTL

I disagree.

I performed a great amount of tweaking on the POD in stores through different amps and rigs.. I still say the GT-8 wins. It sounds more analog once you find that sweet spot.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

That is a tough one for me because I did try both when I bought the POD and thought the GT 8 had a slight edge, but the fact that I got a Variax 700 at the same time swayed the decision. Variax and POD are pretty much made for each other. Who knows if I'd spent the last 6 months with a GT 8 instead of a POD i might agree with you, but a few weeks into the POD I was finding tone I really liked and still am. It's probably all good though both the POD and GT 8.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD