http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lktfsZ-PZo

I love the sound of the guitar in this video, and am considering buying a new acoustic for that style of playing (rapid plectrum solos etc.). Does anyone know which guitar is being played, and whether it is nylon or steel strung, or electric-acoustic or not?

Also, I am used to playing on a nylon string guitar - if it is a steel-string, would it be much different to play?
Last edited by Mahavishnu Fan at Mar 30, 2008,
Looking at the vid I thought for a moment Wow, how can this McLaughin dude look so incredibly young after all these years? How powerfull these hindu meditation excercises must be. But then I realized that the film was shot perhaps even 35 years ago.

And it's definitely an Ovation. Buy one if you can afford one. Especially this single sound hole spruce top Balladeer model has an exeptionally sweet yet powerfull tone. Anything you'll play on it will sound heavenly.
Quote by szekelymihai
i think its an electro-acoustic but dont know about the type.
Get a banjo or a dobro guitar,Have you ever heard one?they re really cool

Are you sure its electric-acoustic? He's playing into a mic, so is the sound fed into several seperate channels or something?
I need to be able to play with that sound, and am wondering whether there is much difference between the nylon and steel strung guitars' playability.
Quote by Mahavishnu Fan
Are you sure its electric-acoustic? He's playing into a mic, so is the sound fed into several seperate channels or something?
I need to be able to play with that sound, and am wondering whether there is much difference between the nylon and steel strung guitars' playability.

He's playing in the mic alright, but also the knobs of the pre-amp are clearly visible on the side of the body. Indeed he might use both at the same time.
And not by any means to discourage you, but here you see some serious virtuoso displayed by an extremely skilled and talented musician. Just buying a Balladeer won't get you there.
Probably mr.McLaughin will sound almost as good playing my Crafter, just as I will sound as crappy as I always do on his Ovation.
And not by any means to discourage you, but here you see some serious virtuoso displayed by an extremely skilled and talented musician. Just buying a Balladeer won't get you there.

Of course, of course, I absolutely respect Mclaughlin's technique, and of course acknowledge that it his own refined playing style which endows with such a beautiful sound more than anything. However, the tone and resonance produced by this guitar is superior to any other that I have heard, and, as it is my aspiration to buy a new guitar in the near future, I think it is only natural for me to wish to make the best investment possible.
The matter of technique is an entirely different one, and no amount of money or threading will get me there. I love the guitar, and intend to hone my technique till I reach the highest level possible. Hence, I appreciate your comments and acknowledge them as truth, but don't misintepret me as a naive wannabe with no discipline or love for his instrument
Of course you know. I was teasing a little bit.
It is a natural ambition for any guitar player to own the same guitar as his or her greatest hero. That's where all these signature models are aimed at. In your case the admiration not only concerns a great player, but also a very fine guitar. Even if you decide at some point to take a completely different musical road, this instrument will go along. You'd be better off then all those poor suckers who bought a Tommy Delonghi rep Strat, only to discover that they do Blink182 sounds and nothing else.
A pitty though that the cheapest usable Ovation is well within the $1000,- range.
A pitty though that the cheapest usable Ovation is well within the $1000,- range.

Arghhh.....can you recommend a particular model (as the likelihood is that I won't be able to find out which particular model is used in that video) ?
It's hard to tell which one is used in the clip. It's definitely a deep bowl/round soundhole Balladeer model. These go at about $1150,- up to $1900,-. There are, and have been, special issue Balladeers that cost as much as $4500,-. Chances are that Mahavishnu John is playing such an unobtainable custom build rarity, but there should be no need for you to do the same. A regular Balladeer, such as the 1.2 grand 1771 model, will fulfill the needs of even the most demanding players.
If you are a poor sucker like most of us, you could consider Kaman's B-brand Applause guitars of similar design. They have less expensive hardware and simpler electronics, but soundwise still come pretty close to the real thing.
And of course you can try to find a used one. I had one offered to me for about $500,- recently, albeit without electronics.
Don't have yourself lured into buying any of the Celebrity models. Dispite having Ovation on the headstock they are cheaper than the Applauses and sound like a wet carton box.

I can imagine you are not in a position to immediately run to the shop to buy one. Maybe you can dream a bit more while surfing on www.ovationguitars.com. There are nice pics there.