Me and some friends recently started a band and we've practiced alot and we've worked really hard. There is a spot open for a gig in a couple of months and I told the singer of the band and asked if he was up for it. He asked how much we'd get paid. I thought he was joking at first and told him we wouldn't get paid.

Then he text me a couple of hours later telling me he might be able to get us a spot at a paying venue (which is way out of our league) and he doesn't want to do unpaid gigs. I've tried telling him that it will give us experience and get our name out but he really doesn't seem up for it.

So, my question is, how can I get him to change his mind?
Tell him that a new band that's recently started and is untested is not going to get paid gigs immediately. Thats the truth of it. If he refuses to do them, get a singer who will. Often the gigs will be given based on ticket sales (so if you have fans, expect to start getting paid relatively soon, until then however, do unpaid)
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Keep telling him you need to make yourselves a name before someone will be actually going to pay you for your music.

Or just kick his sorry ass out.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
-you won't get paid gigs right away, unless it's a crappy venue where you have to play 3 hours to split 150 bucks between the whole band.

-your singer is a twat... even people who are in it for the money wait until they've stage-tested their stuff to see if it's even worth paying for

-i think the best way to convince him would be to show him this thread.
I concur with frigginjerk. You should show him this thread.

You guys need all the experience. You really need to establish yourselves in your area before people will pay to see you. And if he's not willing to work, then just boot him.
Sounds like he's in it for the money. If that's true, boot his ass! He won't work! For him, it's all about the money, not the music
Thanks for the advice. We are practicing tomorrow, more like writing because the bassist is on holiday. I know our drummer agrees with me so we'll bring it up.
Well I wouldn't jump the gun and say he's just there to score some cash, but that could be the case. But also maybe he just feels that his and the bands time is worth getting paid for. After all, you guys probably put a lot of time and money (for equipment) into practicing and maybe he just wants to start seeing some rewards coming out of that. However, I would just explain to him, that for the first couple shows, you might not get paid, but you'll get experience. Most bands start off playing for free, just to get experience playing live as a group. Then soon you'll be playing clubs for money and you can split the gig pay.
Last edited by OpposingForce at Mar 30, 2008,
I know lots of people who won't show up without a promise of being paid. These people are generally those who define themselves as 'professional musicians.' They are old enough and experienced enough that they have 'been there, done that' in terms of paying their dues by playing for free. Now they have a name and a reputation, and people know that if they are involved in a project, that they will have to pay for it, and they have every confidence that it will be good.

However, your profile says you're 15. At that age, you are indeed lucky to be given the opportunity to play at all, never mind getting paid. You should expect to play for free simply to cut your teeth and get that experience. You should also expect to get paid something sometimes. But not all the time, and not that much, really.

Once the promoters and bookers and club owners know you because you've been around for ten years and have established a reputation - like 10 years from now or whatever - THEN you can adopt the "no pay, no play" attitude.

Another way.... put yourself in the booker's shoes. Why would he pay you when he has a zillion other bands he has never heard that would be willing to play for free?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 30, 2008,
Quote by stephen_rettie
soundsl iek he's in the band for the wrong reasons

dis man b right on teh money
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
shoot him in the foot and tell him to pull his friggin head in.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by axemanchris
I know lots of people who won't show up without a promise of being paid. These people are generally those who define themselves as 'professional musicians.' They are old enough and experienced enough that they have 'been there, done that' in terms of paying their dues by playing for free. Now they have a name and a reputation, and people know that if they are involved in a project, that they will have to pay for it, and they have every confidence that it will be good.

However, your profile says you're 15. At that age, you are indeed lucky to be given the opportunity to play at all, never mind getting paid. You should expect to play for free simply to cut your teeth and get that experience. You should also expect to get paid something sometimes. But not all the time, and not that much, really.

Once the promoters and bookers and club owners know you because you've been around for ten years and have established a reputation - like 10 years from now or whatever - THEN you can adopt the "no pay, no play" attitude.

Another way.... put yourself in the booker's shoes. Why would he pay you when he has a zillion other bands he has never heard that would be willing to play for free?

CT

Exactly. The oldest member is almost 18 and his old band played dozens of gigs and never got paid and that's how it should be. Our payment should just be the fact we we get to play.

Anyway, I pursueded the singer to do unpaid pub gigs for a few months before he even tries getting a paid show.
Quote by Arc Of Time
Exactly. The oldest member is almost 18 and his old band played dozens of gigs and never got paid and that's how it should be. Our payment should just be the fact we we get to play.

Anyway, I pursueded the singer to do unpaid pub gigs for a few months before he even tries getting a paid show.

Yeah, consider youself lucky, man. When opportunity knocks, answer it, even if that means having to boot the singer. I'd kill for a position in a band to play for free!
Play the gig instrumentally. If he doesn't want to perform without being payed then he shouldn't perform at all. Learn some good instrumental songs.
Tell him that if you do a few unpaid gigs and manage to build up a good following who will go to see you in other venues, then once you do start playing for money, you can charge more because you already have a following that will 'pay' for a ticket and 'buy' refreshments from the venue's manager.
It also means that you'll be in a position to then hire a venue yourself and charge your own ticket price in the safe knowledge that you have a following that will buy those tickets, thereby making even more money.

Hey, if the guy's money motivated, he'll listen.