Well, I have a guitar with emg passive pickups (an ibanez), and Im starting to play more rock, alt rock, and MAYBE some metal. Just need a heads up of what kind of pickups I should get.

Otherwise, I have a roland cube 30, just for practicing...is this alright? If not, whats a cheap practice amp that would suffice? I dont have any pedals yet, so maybe i should get some before picking up an amp that doesnt have any effects. The roland cube 30 has enough, though.
Honestly if you want to improve your tone, you may as well get a new amp. The Cube 30 is a good amp for practice, but maybe you should look into a small tube combo instead.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I would get any pedals whilst you have that amp, hmm you wont benifit alot with new pickups through your amp, save up for a tube amp, you will notice alot of change then
Manchester United
Well, a cheap valve amp would be good for anyone. Epi Valve Jr. or something 15 watts, valve, but good quality and not masive so doesn't have to go so loud neighbours kill you. I can recommend EMG actives, they're nice. (lets face it EMG passives are cheap marketing **** to sell guitars). Try Seymour Duncans, they're imo the nicest passive pickups. Also consider bareknuckle pickups.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
i recently bouight some seymour duncan distortions for £100 for the 2. they improved my tone so much, as for the amp cubes are perfectly good but you might want to get a pedal for gigging
You don't need new pickups - they won't make any appreciable diferrence to your sound. The Cube is a perfectly good practice amp, particularly for metal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well the thing is, I'm not going to play metal anymore. (well, not really)

I think i would just rather go the passive pickup way, because active seems a bit to complicated, and a bit too much money.

And are there any amps that are tube that come with alot of effects that are nice? Or should I be looking for some pedals and a small tube amp?

thanks
You don't need any new pickups, the stock pickups are more than good enough for you at this stage.

The amp you get depends on the type of sound you want, if you want a range of sounds or aren't quite sure of the tone you want then you might as well stick with your Cube. If you know the kind of sounds you're looking for then describe them and people will chuck some suggestions your way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com