Page 1 of 3
after looking at the thread for the metal picks i realized that in my 4 years of playing i've only actually bought ONE pack of picks. all the others (and trust me there's a LOT) have been those "demo" picks, as in where you ask the salesman for a pick so you can try out a guitar or somethin lol. either that or i've just used a friend's and never gave it back. i've prolly got like 50 or more picks layin' around of all different gauges, colors, and sizes and was just wondering if anyone else gets their picks this way?

damn makes me feel a lil cheap lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I have like 50 of those cheapo store-brand picks.

And a bunch of miscellaneous name-brand picks that I mysteriously accumulate.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
lol ahhh i figured i wasn't the only one...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
the pick gnomes steal mine.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
I've keepen (that's not even a real word) about 3 picks that way.

I tend to buy the odd single here and there and file them to keep the points sharp.

Except for Jazz III's, because I've been trying to wear them down for about 6 months with no sucess.
sorry batiboy but it's a dog-eat-dog world out there, keep your hand on ur pick or next time you look down it'll be GONE.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I've grabbed pics that were just sitting around at a amp in a store or kept the ones the sotre people give me at GC (they don't care). I conversely accidentally drop them or leave them around. Kind of like golf balls.
I lose more picks then I buy, in the four months that I've been playing I've bought close on 50 picks and lost close on 300.
I lose them because when i'm done playing they go behind my ear and tend to fall out.

I've found picks I've never played with in my couch, I swear they breed in there...
i have four left from my second pack of jazz 3's and i have a pack of dunlop tortex .73
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
im reporting you to the authorities........Who are the Authorities?
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
I do it all the time, I just go over to friends then break a string and i get a free set of strings!
Just go to the NAMM show. About half of the guitar-related companies have logo picks laying around for the taking. If they have surplus on the last day, they'll give away fistfuls.

A couple years ago, a buddy of mine was handed a few packs of strings as he walked by a booth on the last day. This year, I got a folding guitar stand because the company wanted to lighten their load for the trip home.

Thread starter, I suggest you make a shirt that says "Pick Magnet."
I've had 6 picks since I started playing. I broke one. and still use all the others.
Keeping it real since '92
carpepax, that's the best idea i've heard in a while!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I've bought 4 picks in what, 2 years I've been playing. Still have them all.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I have about 30 picks, all in different thicknesses but I mostly keep and use the Fender 351 Celluloids.

my pick list:
Fender 351 Premium Celluloid - Blue and Abalone - Medium
Dunlop Tortex - 60mm
Notable music super thin celluloid
and three tiny Fender picks - Takes a lot of skill to use these...

I cant see me loosing any of these and even if I loose some, I dont think I'll ever need to buy any for a long time...
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 30, 2008,
Meh, i got some cheapy marbely ones a while ago, most of which Ive set on fire... Because ive discovered they smell like vicks and disintergrate within a minute.

^I demand a video of you using the tiny fenders.. >_<
them tiny fenders look pretty cool!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by moody07747

and three tiny Fender picks - Takes a lot of skill to use these...

pinch harmonics would a total breeze with those lol
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by beckyjc

^I demand a video of you using the tiny fenders.. >_<

sure thing, I'll have to use my still cam because my parents have the MiniDV video cam this week...

I'll have the video out in a few minures
niiiiice
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Video link:
http://files.filefront.com/Mini+fender+pickMOV/;9920157;/fileinfo.html

It's quick time format (.mov) and was not recorded with my digital still so quality isn't great but good enough. Sound was not recorded with my main rig, I just set the PA up and used the cam to capture the sound so I didnt have to edit and sync...
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 30, 2008,
i went to music live, this music event, and just took as many complementary free guitar picks as i could.... has kept me going =D
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
well...when I get used to a pick I like to keep playing with same picks.
When I moved from .73 dunlop ultex(?) picks to .60 tortex I needed 2 days to get used to thinner feel...But I like them more.
so...I only got like...6 left of those...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I bought 4 yamaha picks and 2 gibson picks 10 years ago and I have only just bought a new packet this month... £5 for 6 picks?! The world has gone mad...
I must play too much. I can't even imagine how many packs of picks I've bought over the years. I really wear mine down too. I just threw out a Dunlop Tortex .73 last week, it was worn down to about half its original size. I've got a few packs of Fender mediums that I never use and about 10 packs of Dunlop Jazz III's. I like smaller, rounded picks. Used to use the small Dunlop Jazz Stubbies, don't think they make them anymore though.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I've keepen (that's not even a real word) about 3 picks that way.

I tend to buy the odd single here and there and file them to keep the points sharp.

Except for Jazz III's, because I've been trying to wear them down for about 6 months with no sucess.

Wow... I go through a Jazz III in a week...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a different problem as I don't use picks. I need fingernail enhancer or something. Seriously, my right index fingernail is thinner than my left lol

Do you play a lot of percussive strumming like flamenco-ish or more fingerpicking? Ani Di'Franco does both with much intensity and uses fake fingernails on her right hand because she doesn't use a regular pick either. A co-worker of mine plays fingerstyle and uses some kind of clear nail polish to strengthen his nails.
Quote by moody07747
Video link:
http://files.filefront.com/Mini+fender+pickMOV/;9920157;/fileinfo.html

It's quick time format (.mov) and was not recorded with my digital still so quality isn't great but good enough. Sound was not recorded with my main rig, I just set the PA up and used the cam to capture the sound so I didnt have to edit and sync...

Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
god i get so pissed when i lose my picks. i lose mine all the time and i can never find them. like i loose whole packs at a time, but ive only bought 2 tins of picks, cause i always find'em when i dont need them.

i wish i was a pick magnet
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by carpepax
Do you play a lot of percussive strumming like flamenco-ish or more fingerpicking? Ani Di'Franco does both with much intensity and uses fake fingernails on her right hand because she doesn't use a regular pick either. A co-worker of mine plays fingerstyle and uses some kind of clear nail polish to strengthen his nails.

I guess that's what you call it, it is percussive and i like to be able to pull strings up from behind. I've tried the clear polish but man the way i shred sometimes the polish just gets all jammed up and scratched. I have seen plently of guitarists with nail polish on though but i bet most use picks. I've tried picks and just can't get the sound i want. And the fake nail thing might work i was just always afraid that i again wouldn't be able to finger pick like i do now and the damn things would get pulled off.
obviously i'm a bit off topic - but at least i'm saving on pick costs!
and thanks for good advice!
Guitar center picks... crappy but oh so plentiful.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Page 1 of 3