i've had a search around, and most similar threads seem to concentrate mostly on amps for metal, not quite what i need.

right, unfortunatly i live pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and the only music shops nearby only stock beginner amps really, so i can't really go anywhere and just sit down with a bunch of amps and just experiment.

i need quite a versatile amp, cabable of high-ish gain (not really heavy metal levels, but fairly high) with lush leads if possible, but still capable of crisp cleans and a decent crunch (although the crunch can be created by using a pedal through the clean channel)

think Radiohead and Muse-esk versatility needed

I've got about £600 atm, but more money can be obtained. and i could go upto nearly any ammount, but try and keep it feasable really
Maybe a VOX. But if you live in the middle of nowhere I would look for something on Ebay or online. Don't limit yourself.
You can always order amps. And my personal opinion is that if an amp is able to get a good metal tone, then it probally could get everything in between. Engls are great, a bit pricey though. If you're looking for a more rockish amp, i'd recommend a Peavey 5150. Used ones can run low and they have incredible tone.
Quote by Dubh Dara
You can always order amps. And my personal opinion is that if an amp is able to get a good metal tone, then it probally could get everything in between. Engls are great, a bit pricey though. If you're looking for a more rockish amp, i'd recommend a Peavey 5150. Used ones can run low and they have incredible tone.

Not really, a lot of metal amps are mega high gain or clean with nothing in between.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
well obviously i'm going to order it, but since i can't try out an amp without either tracking down someone who has it, or taking a long trip to a decent store, its nice to have some idea of what amps to look at for my needs.

and to those recomending VOX and Engl amps, which models?
Carvin v3 .
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
Quote by _DeX_
Carvin v3 .

aren't they hell to try and get in England? i've really wanted a Carvin guitar for a while, but can't find anywhere that imports them
aren't they hell to try and get in England? i've really wanted a Carvin guitar for a while, but can't find anywhere that imports them

Sucks dude. try ebay? maybe
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Peavey JSX?

about £800 more isn't really reasonable is it
anyone had much experience using a valveking for all those uses, is it versatile enough? or is it better just to get something more expensive?
maybe an engl screamer? it has 4 channels (clean, crunch, soft lead, heavy lead) so its pretty versatile. check out the range of demos on youtube, on some videos it shows the amp is capable of pretty high gain with the right pickups, and some sweet clean and leads too.

Il send you some links of the variety of tones it can achieve

Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJ9MqMulFc

All different types:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk9SrjPoH6U&feature=related

Creamy lead tones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gkb7qfrysI

good luck with your search.
Quote by Bowe
about £800 more isn't really reasonable is it

Are they really as expensive as that? I though it was about £800.