Page 1 of 3
when you play guitar (or bass),who do you sound like or try to play like?
Quote by Rush_fan2112
i want to walk down the streets of a very large, populized city (one like toronto, or new york) wearing a wonder woman costume and eating a stick of butter

Quote by figsandbobo
I can eat a 16" no problem.
Per Nilsson...
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Myself.

but my influences are John Frusciante from RHCP, Noel Gallagher of Oasis, Slash, John Squire from The Stone Roses, and Jeff Piper from the Dirty Americans.
Last edited by strat335 at Mar 30, 2008,
Im influenced by the following:
Metallica
Slipknot
Unearth
Opeth
Tool
Btbam
and Whitechapel
Ibanez Universe w/ EMG 707 > Ibanez TS9 > Boss NS2 > Peavey xxx > custom 4x12 w/ 2 veteran 30's & 2 et65's
Everything.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
dimebag/ kerry king and jeff hannemann/ james hetfield and kirk

for solos it's a lot of angus
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
Protest the Hero and BTBAM for metal, Guthrie Govan and Allan Holdsworth for jazz fusion, my own style of blues (which is probably real generic crap) and bluegrass. And Classical, of course.

My influences are a very good many more, but that's all I care to post. Haha
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I try and sound like David Gilmour.

But he's amaziing, and i'm terrible.

YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Muse
Placebo
Radiohead
Stiff Little Fingers
Casualties
Sex Pistols
The Business
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
I try to be a combination of Peter Hook, Justin Chancellor, and Flea. I sound like me.
well my two main influences are slash, synyster gates, and jimmy paige.

for solos i go for slash, and for rythm i like to sound like synyster gates.
Aphex Twin, Boards Of Canada, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, The Mars Volta, Queens Of The Stone Age, Venetian Snares, Autechre, Evol Intent, 65daysofstatic, Sigur Ros, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, DJ Shadow, Porcupine Tree, Brian Eno, UNKLE, Kyuss, Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy, Saul Williams, Death From Above 1979, Sonic Youth, Neutral Milk Hotel, Jose Gonzalez, God Is An Astronaut, Explosions In The Sky and many more.

I don't try to sound like any of these bands/artists but they all have inspired me to some extent.
Metallica
Dream Theater
Tool
Opeth
Meshuggah
Yngwie
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Any type of heavier progressive music. Seriously, that genre is so amazing because you can really do whatever you want. Before that, i didnt think people could really change time sigs and it would jsut ruin everything ha
Quote by One on Sunday
well my two main influences are slash, synyster gates, and jimmy paige.

for solos i go for slash, and for rythm i like to sound like synyster gates.

That's three.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I have a lot of influences, so many they all sort of blend.. the ones I started with were probably Jimmy Page, Hendrix, early Clapton, Pete Townshend, Steve Morse.
Well back in the day my first guitar idol was Tom Delonge. Seeing as I'm probably better than him by now I'd say that the guitarists who influence me the most are Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Jonny Greenwood, and Matt Bellamy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
My parents where big influences. They listened to bands like Pink floyd, Gong, Ozric tentacles. My current infuences as far as bass players and bands are:
Victor Wooten
Marcus Miller
Dream Theater
Jaco Pastorious
Steven Wilson
Larry Carlton
SRV
Iron Maiden
Led Zeppelin
Frank Zappa
Black Sabbath
The Who
Santana
Hendrix
Deep Purple
Free
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Myself. I don't believe in sounding like someone else, but obviously, your favourite bands are going to find their way into your playing after a while.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
for rythym/harmony/writing: radiohead, hendrix, robert johnson, pete townshed, placebo, the ramones, the decemberists, muse, Mississippi fred mcdowel, the decemberists, cheap trick, agnostic front, afi.
For leads, muse, Pink Floyd, Anti-Flag, the blood brothers, the mars volta, jack white, the dillinger escape plan, Django, Frank Vignola, Joe Pass, Gogol Bordello (more their violinist then their guitarist though).
I naturally seem to copy Paul Simonon's (The Clash) playing style with both guitar and bass. It isn't intentional, it just seems to happen.
I have a lot of favorite bands that have taught me stuff, but as far as guitar players go, these are my two main influences. The perfect combination, I think- blues and shred. Anyway, here they are:

Dimebag Darrell:

Dime taught me how to play badass rhythm, and of course play lead. But he taught me to have feeling to my lead, you know? I love his "It Makes Them Disappear" solo. It's my favorite one to play.

Chuck Schuldiner:

Chuck opened doors to me. He showed me another genre, and opened me up to putting more thought into my riffs instead of just power chords. He also taught me how to play fast.

Others include
Metallica [This is the first band that got me into metal, I've learned so much of their stuff.]
Trivium [Just by learning Ascendency, I've become so much better at guitar.]

EDIT: I forget Slayer, too. Oops.
Last edited by DeathForAll at Mar 30, 2008,
Quote by betty boop
patti smith, pj harvey, tori amos, rilo kiley, katie melua....
according to what i`ve recorded so far.
i usually don`t go for soft acoustic stuff, but i can`t help my voice.

Speaking of your recordings they are seriously amazing, especially your cover of Just Like Heaven.
Buckethead is my first influence, for clean rythm, I'd go for Frusciante.

theres a twist of Slash, Carlos Santana, David Gilmour, Angus Young and Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Eddie Van Halen's my biggest influence though..
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
u know I really hate this question cause...

I just don't know...
I guess RHCP but I'm not a huuuuuuge fan of them...
some Pearl Jam influences but neither a huuuuuuuuge fan

and... I just odn't know:P
I've been told I sound like a mix of Angus/Tremonti

Nowhere near as good, just technique I guess.

Prize for who finds the third guitarist there.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
I try and be original but end sounding like: Santana, SRV, and Peter Lindgren meshed into one ball of teh secks.

But, my influences are

Mikael Akefeldt: creativity, tone, and just the fact that he can go from shredding triads to calm jazz interludation (not a real word...)

Chuck Schuldiner: Tone, clean playing. Seriously. Listen to his soloing, it's cleaner than a Dog's mouth (which happens to be extremely clean)

and

John Petrucci: Do I have to get specific, it's KIND of obvious.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
For bass, Les Claypool definitely helped me see that you shouldn't be afraid of thinking outside the box. David Ellefson showed me the wonders of using a pick.

For guitar, my Kirk Hammett influence is kind of apparent, but I don't really want to sound like him, so yeah Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, and Dave Mustaine are huge influences. Yep, the Megadeth guys. Frusciante is an influence too in the sense that he showed me that simplicity isn't always unfavored, not to say that he is a simple player though. He's a great musician.
Page 1 of 3