Eh.... So I have an Epi Lp Standard and a korg ga-30. I can tune the the E (6th) string. But when i go to tune the A (5th) string the tuner goes to G (3rd) String. What am im doing wrong?
I'm thinking that the A string is tuned to a G note so you have to tune it up to an A note.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Quote by weemansyndrome
I'm thinking that the A string is tuned to a G note so you have to tune it up to an A note.

So Tune it higher?
No, tune it lower. If the A string is registering as a G string, then it's two strings too high. I would take joyal's advice and make the string really loose, then try to retune it.
Last Album Purchased:

Portishead - roseland nyc live
Quote by eversio11
No, tune it lower. If the A string is registering as a G string, then it's two strings too high. I would take joyal's advice and make the string really loose, then try to retune it.

But then my E String is higher than the A....

I need to make a video showinf what im talking about.
Well, if you correctly tuned the E string then it will be lower than a correctly tuned A string. Likewise, if you hit the E string at the fifth fret, it should register as an A string.
Last Album Purchased:

No need to make a video Jessica. Just start over is all. Detune all of your strings to the point that you feel comfortable that they are all below the pitch they should be. It's the only sure fire way at this point to get it in shape.
Start off by tuning up the high E rather than the low E. This way, each string lower in tone than that one will be lower in tone, not higher and possibly too tight, get the point?
So start slowly bringing up the high E string to pitch. You want the needle dead center, green light on, no red lights, and only the 1E showing in upper lefthand corner. Don't worry if it flickers back and forth between 1E and 6E, as long as it says 1E most of the time.
Then do the B. Same thing, but the tuner will show 2B. Then 3G, 4D, 5A and lastly 6E.
Once you have them all set, go back and recheck. You might need to tweak them again.
If you go over the correct pitch, lower the string tension for that string below where it's supposed to be and then bring it back up to correct pitch again. Never try to tune down to pitch from above, always come up to it from below.
This ought to set you right up.
Quote by eversio11

No, tune it higher. The string is registering as a g note, not string. Its 2 semitones too low. Tune it higher to get it to A
Quote by littlephil
No, tune it higher. The string is registering as a g note, not string. Its 2 semitones too low. Tune it higher to get it to A

You really need to work on your relative pitch if you think a tuned G string is two semitones lower than a tuned A string.

The pitch of a tuned A string is 110hz, and a tuned G string is 196hz. That means these two unfretted strings are 12 tones (or notes) apart, making a full octave.

Trust me, I have the exact same tuner she does, I know what I'm talking about. If it displays 3G on the tuner when she plucks the A string, that means that string is vibrating at 196hz, incorrectly registering as a G string.
Last Album Purchased:

Last edited by eversio11 at Mar 30, 2008,
I never said a tuned A string is 2 semitones lower than a tuned G string. I said the A string is registering as a G note, which is 2 semitones lower than A, so she needs to tune it up. If she tunes down, it will register as A, but it will be an octave too low
tune higher, you are at G probably just a step and a half from the low E..so tune a step higher.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground