Hello. I am currently trying to put together my dream pedal board to really get the tone that I am wanting. I am interested in a sound similar to that of Eric Johnson's and Steve Vai's. I will be running these pedals through a Peavey ValveKing halfstack. Here are the pedals:

BK Butler Tube Driver
TC Electronic Stereo Chorus Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
Ibanez TS808 Vintage Tube Screamer Reissue
Dunlop Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face Pedal
MXR M-101 Phase 90 Pedal
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Stompbox Tuner

and maybe a Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal if needed. These pedals are in no particular order. I know some of them are pretty far off from the Eric Johnson sound, but I wanted the Metal Zone pedal just for the times where I really need that hi gain metal sound, and the tube screamer just because I love that sound. Let me know what you think!
Last edited by Rangerbob86 at Mar 30, 2008,
If I were you, I would buy the Tubescreamer from Keeley. They make a much better pedal. Also, if you are looking for a compressor, you can't do any better than a Keeley Compressor.

Do you care about true bypass?

Other than that, the pedal board looks friggin sweet! (and expensive)
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

^ A Maxon OD-9 would also be a very good choice, it's the original 80's tubescreamer (the good one basically)

But yeah with that standard of pedals, the MT-2 comes short
Yea those links aren't where I will actually get most of my pedals...I was thinking about Keeley. I would love true bypass however I really don't think the setup I have would really suck a whole lot of tone out of the sound...would it? Also...any opinions on compressiojn/sustain? I have never had one of those in an effects board...do they really add a whole lot to the sound? And lastly, without the MT-2 (or similar metal/high-gain pedal), will I be able to get enough distortion for some heavy songs. The tube driver is the only pedal I've never actually used, I've just heard great things about it...I really am unsure of what exactly it's capable of. Thanks!
ibanez has the gemeni pedal thatll give ya the steve vai sound
dunno the price but its on their website
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Ok for now, I will hold off on the MT-2 and see what I can do without it. As for the tubescreamer I am not entierly sure on which one I was going to get as there are so many different options for that type of pedal...I might go with Maxon I dont know yet...there are a couple more I would like to play first before I decide.
Swap out the mt-2 for an ehx metal muff.
Gibson SG Standard
MIJ 57 Fender Strat

Marshall JVM & Fender Blues Junior NOS

Dunlop Crybaby from Hell, EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress, Boss DS1, EHX Big Muff, EHX Digital Delay, MXR Dyna Comp
Doesn't Eric Johnson use a Tonebone? I think you could knock out a few unneeded overdrive's and whatnot if you got one of those. Take a look into them.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
All of that looks fine to me, minus the MT-2. Should sound great.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Sorry to be bitchy but I don't think you will be able to get close to EJ's tone with a Valveking no matter what high-end pedal you get. Eric Johnson uses an old germanium Fuzz Face I think along with a Chandler Tube Overdrive.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Sorry to be bitchy but I don't think you will be able to get close to EJ's tone with a Valveking no matter what high-end pedal you get. Eric Johnson uses an old germanium Fuzz Face I think along with a Chandler Tube Overdrive.

Eric Johnson uses more than that. HE uses every pedal ever. Fact. But to be fair, EJ uses 3 seperate amps and pedal rigs for different sounds: clean, crunch and lead. So unless you've got about 30 grand to send, you're not going to get perfect. But the stuff listed will get on the right path.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Yeah, he even claims the flight of migratory birds have an effect on tone. Just kidding. I am just saying that the Valveking isn't excactly the best amp to have as a starting point for trying to replicate such a great tone. But yeah, those pedals would do a pretty good job except I wouldn't go for the Fuzz Face Reissue. I would just go for a germanium clone.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/588/

Geez, enough cables and pedals much?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah, he even claims the flight of migratory birds have an effect on tone. Just kidding. I am just saying that the Valveking isn't excactly the best amp to have as a starting point for trying to replicate such a great tone. But yeah, those pedals would do a pretty good job except I wouldn't go for the Fuzz Face Reissue. I would just go for a germanium clone.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/588/

Geez, enough cables and pedals much?

You managed to pull a random Eric Johnson quote out of the air...and have it be a quote that I made up! Impressive :P
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Woah. Haha I didn't even know it was yours. I just remembered it from someone's sig a while ago. Crazy.

Haha yeah, I think Dave MC sigged it a while back. That's random :P
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Rangerbob86
Hello. I am currently trying to put together my dream pedal board to really get the tone that I am wanting. I am interested in a sound similar to that of Eric Johnson's and Steve Vai's. I will be running these pedals through a Peavey ValveKing halfstack. Here are the pedals:

BK Butler Tube Driver
Ibanez TS808 Vintage Tube Screamer Reissue
Dunlop Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face Pedal
MXR M-101 Phase 90 Pedal
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Stompbox Tuner

and maybe a Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal if needed. These pedals are in no particular order. I know some of them are pretty far off from the Eric Johnson sound, but I wanted the Metal Zone pedal just for the times where I really need that hi gain metal sound, and the tube screamer just because I love that sound. Let me know what you think!

Change the following pedals to:
Planet waves pedal tuner
isp decimator
line 6 verbzilla
Dont get a distortion pedal....
this phaser
Get a fuzz face clone from somewhere, they're actually cheaper than that dunlop peice of trash
Get this instead of the tubescreamer (same thing basic, but closer to the actual vintage one
Deluxe memory man
TC electronics chorus/flanger
butler tube driver
and then i suggest the MXR Dynacomp for a compressor
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Thanks for your opinions. I think this is where I'm at now:

BK Butler Tube Driver
Maxon OD-9 (Possibly modded depending on what I like after playing some more tube screamer types)
Boss TU-2 Tuner (Already have this one)
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb/Line 6 Verbzilla (Still deciding...)
MXR M-101 Phase 90 Pedal/MXR CSP-101CL Custom Shop Script Phase 90 (Sound pretty much the same to me...)

I decided to completely hold off on a fuzz pedal for now, and if I end up wanting more crazy gain I think I'll go with the EHX Metal Muff. How does this sound?
I you really wanted a nice TS 808 clone, you could get the Visual Sound Route 808. It's the same OD that's in the Double Trouble, Jekyll and Hyde, and the Route 66, except in a single pedal form.

Oh, and if you were interested in a better fuzz, you could build your own with a kit from BYOC.

http://buildyourownclone.com/fuzz.html
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Last edited by SSL27 at May 6, 2008,
Dump all the boss stuff if your thinking about spending that kind of money. The barber tone pump is an amazing 808 pedal with two channels. Chandler just distributed Butlers stuff. Good luck tone chasing isn't for the weak or cheap.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Don't get that fuzz. It's horrible imho.

you could take a look at the one in my sig you might like it.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by greyalien
Swap out the mt-2 for an ehx metal muff.

No. That won't give him the sound he wants. Stop jumping on bandwagons, people.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X