I recently just picked up a t-40 peavey bass, ive read it was made in the 70-early80's .. well it has a little bow in it so i grabbed my allen wrench set and it doesn't appear to fit .. the hole almost looks like a screw .. is there something special i need or am i just blind?
What does the hole look like? Can you get pics?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead

im assuming a special wrench? i got it up close with my 6megapixel cam lol
Last edited by ColdToiletSeats at Mar 30, 2008,
first, congrats on the T-40. it was my first decent bass, i bought new in 1979.
second, a bass neck should have a slight bow.
third, i strongly recommend you have the bass "set-up" by a pro, at the music store.
they will adjust the truss rod, plus several other adjustments to make your bass play,
and sound, as good as possible. and usually you can watch them do it, and learn some valuable lessons in keeping your bass, in top form.

Edit: this site may help.
http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/
how do i adjust the neck though what do i use ?
thats not a allen key hole..

my dad has a buddy that is a musical genius and knows everything ill have him look at it in a month but i kinda don't wanna wait that long .. the strings are like 3/4 of a inch away from the neck it definately needs to be adjusted .. it was my sisters bass but she gave up on it and i gave her 40 bucks for it (she obviously doesn't know the real price of it lol) but i can play it but the strings like i said are just to far away
Try emailing Peavey. It seems that they sell (or used to sell atleast) a "Torsion Rod Wrench" which works on the truss rods of T-40s.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

thats not a allen key hole.. /QUOTE]

Use a box spanner on a screwdriver type handle, it is standard for a small socket to do the job; nothing special.
If you do attempt it yourself make sure that you de-tention the strings first and don't adjust more than 1/2 a turn at a time, looking at the truss rod nut in a clockwise manner.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift

If you do attempt it yourself make sure that you de-tension the strings first and don't adjust more than 1/2 a turn at a time, looking at the truss rod nut in a clockwise manner.

corrected

I had to stare at that for quite a while before i worked out what it was XD

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by ColdToiletSeats
thats not a allen key hole..

my dad has a buddy that is a musical genius and knows everything ill have him look at it in a month but i kinda don't wanna wait that long .. the strings are like 3/4 of a inch away from the neck it definately needs to be adjusted .. it was my sisters bass but she gave up on it and i gave her 40 bucks for it (she obviously doesn't know the real price of it lol) but i can play it but the strings like i said are just to far away

Thats awesome you ripped off yer own sister!!!!

ahahahahahahahaha