They look like clippers to me.

One pointing 'each direction' basically. Shouldn't have any effect if theyre in the wrong order, but if theyre pointing the wrong direction youll get either no clipping or no signal.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ok, I built the pedal and it dosn't have much distortion (I swiched from LEDS to 4001 diodes) and the gain pot acts like a secone volume pot, it has no control over the gain.
Are the 4001 diodes rectos? I doubt they work. You need small signal diodes. In my pedal, I'm putting in a 1N914 and a 1N34A. One is germanium and one is sillicon. It should give me an '80s metal/industrial sound (according to kurtlives91).
They look to be setup for asymmetrical clipping. LEDs will give you the most output, but not much distortion. If the diodes are backwards your pedal wont work.

Try something like a 1N914 or a similar silicon.

The layout is unverified.
1N4001 General Rectifier
[1n4001]
50V 1.0amp rectifier
Thats what the diodes are. the pedal works, and has good output, but not a lot of distortion. I have some 1N4148 Diodes and some In34a diodes, mayby I should switch them out?
but why is the gain pot acting like a volume pot? problem with the layout?
One more question, if I have the diodes backwards will the pedal not work at all, or just not clip?
Quote by SVStee
One more question, if I have the diodes backwards will the pedal not work at all, or just not clip?

No matter which way you orientate them, you'll get clipping.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."