Hi, my setup is pretty sweet now although im wondering if theres even more i could get out of my guitar; im thinking of getting a pedal but to be honest i didnt have the faintest idea about pedals.. any suggestions? Oh yeah ive been playing for just over 7 years, Thanks.
if u dont already have one u should think about a digitech whammy they're always fun to play with
MY GEAR:

Ibanez S470
Vintage: VRS100
Fender FM100R 100WATT
Marshall: MG30DFX 30WATT
Digitech: RP350
Boss: DS-1
Jim Dunlop: Original Crybaby
Crafter: FX-550EQ
Orange: Mini- Krush

Add My Profile
whats your style for one, and two what are you looking for overdrives? distortions, modulations.

whats your set up also
I dont know about your gear or playing style etc but I think a good start for me would be a distortion or OD to give you another distorted sound from what your amp can give. You could also buy a Wha Wha if you havn't go one already, they are real fun and great to use =)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by guitarkp
if u dont already have one u should think about a digitech whammy they're always fun to play with

+ 1

I can never live without one now.
Just walk into a music store and try some out. Check out various wah wah, flanger, chorus and phazer pedals. Or maybe get a muslti effects board? The quality of the effects is not as good as with single peals, but you get alot of effects for a low price - so you can experiment a lot without going broke.
By the way, what amps/guitars are you using?
wow very quick replies; anyways my style is anything really... to rock to blues or whatever i think i will get and OD and a crybaby (thats what i heard are good) thanks alot for the help guys! oh yeah my setup (doh!) i have an epi sg or a telecaster depends what mood im in. My amp is a Marshall VS100R and i can get a pretty awesome sound out of it if spend enough time on it. So you really think a pedal will be a step up?
Meh, you're probably better off getting a new amp. The Valvestate is not all that bad, but a nice little tube amp or maybe a Vox Valvetronix could do wonders for your sound. The Vox sounds excellent for blues and 70's rock, check it out:
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronix/
They are relatively cheap, too and have very good built in effects.
In case you REALLY want a pedal though, the Ibanez TS808 reissue is an excellent OD pedal. Go to www.ibanez.com to have a look at it. But I warn you, it is relatively expensive.
NONONO! If you are to buy a new amp, atleast buy a "real" amp- a tube amp. You will thank me later!

oh and btw, look on ebay or something both for amp and pedal!
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
Quote by backtothe70s
NONONO! If you are to buy a new amp, atleast buy a "real" amp- a tube amp. You will thank me later!

I second TheQualmans view as opposed to this.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
well i'm a big vox guy, so i agree. I love the valvetronix. but i think the old models are a lot better. the ones with blue cloth fronts. you can find them on ebay.
Quote by backtothe70s

C'mon, the Vavetronix is pretty good if you take into account it's price. And it has many different sounds to play around with. Granted you can get a lower end tube amp for the price of a bigger Valvetronix, but those usually do only one sound well.
And tube amps that are big enough for giging/rehearsing with a band cost a sh*tload of money.

Quote by purerock
well i'm a big vox guy, so i agree. I love the valvetronix. but i think the old models are a lot better. the ones with blue cloth fronts. you can find them on ebay.

+1 to that. But they are way more expensive than the new models (even when used), so you have to see if you want to pay all that much. Plus I don't trust anything I haven't personally tried out, so I don't trust ebay.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 30, 2008,
Just remember that the sound coming out there is from another(probably very good player) and that the sound file must probably have been edited.
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
hmmm... i do want a decent amp but i also want to be able to carry it around without a minicrane (pay no attention to the link i posted this could just be for personal playing)
the Fender Blues Junior really made my sound twice as good as it was before. A good tube amp really helps out with your tone, you might wanna consider getting an all tube combo
Quote by TheQuailman
C'mon, the Vavetronix is pretty good if you take into account it's price. And it has many different sounds to play around with. Granted you can get a lower end tube amp for the price of a bigger Valvetronix, but those usually do only one sound well.
And tube amps that are big enough for giging/rehearsing with a band cost a sh*tload of money.

I do know about the versatility you get with them, effects etc but they dont sound as good in the long run. The longer you have an amp and play other you get an ear for tone. therefor I think a tube amp will be better. And really, tube amps are loud. they are enough for rehearsing if you dont play on "I wanna be deth" kinda volumes and then on gigs you often mic the amp to PA
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
How loud do you need your amp to be? Louder means bigger means heavier, with tube amps being heavier than SS or hybrid amps (Valvetronix = hybrid). Basically, the 30 watt valvetronix is the biggest of them which is still 'carriable', to some extent.
hmm... about 15-20watt sounds good to me since the sound quality is so good. I also have been told from earlier bands that i use too much distortion or am too loud ... whats your opinion?
Quote by backtothe70s
I do know about the versatility you get with them, effects etc but they dont sound as good in the long run. The longer you have an amp and play other you get an ear for tone. therefor I think a tube amp will be better. And really, tube amps are loud. they are enough for rehearsing if you dont play on "I wanna be deth" kinda volumes and then on gigs you often mic the amp to PA

I catch your drift, but he'll need at least 15 watts of tube sound to be able to properly rehearse. These amps are pretty expensive already (at least twice as much as the valvetronix 30 watt amp, which is comparable when it comes to loudness).
Not to offend the ts, but he sounds somewhat inexperienced, so I think he'll have a hard time finding a proper amp anyway, yet alone a good tube amp (cause tube doesn't always equal good, especially in the lower price range).
I say he'll be fine with the Valvetronix until he's experienced enough to pick some professional gear.
Quote by Milkywaykid1
hmm... about 15-20watt sounds good to me since the sound quality is so good. I also have been told from earlier bands that i use too much distortion or am too loud ... whats your opinion?

If you want to rehearse, you will need at least the 30 watt valvetronix to be loud enough. The 50 watt version is better though because of the bigger speaker, it further increases the sound quality.

If you want to give tube amps a try, check out anything with at leat 15 watts.
Quote by Milkywaykid1

It is not only good, it is friggin' AMAZING.
You get the sweetest clean and crunch sounds from that thing. But you'l have to crank it really loud if you want much gain. Shouldn't be an issue though seeing you are a bluesman anyway. Beware, it is pretty heavy.
hurray! another Vox user may be soon brought into the fold!

welcome brother!
First it would probably be best to get a Tube amp, but if you are looking for pedals I suggest starting with a Wah and OD pedal. For an OD pedal I reccomend a MXR Distortion III or GT-OD, and for Boss I would reccomend a OD-3 (most versatile). The Ibanez TS808 is a good boost, but start off with the pedals I listed which seem to suit your style great.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Oh and you'll need an OD pedal to go with the Vox amp, and that vox amp is amazingg. The Vox cleans are great.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets