There is a picking technique in a lot of punk-rock songs I play and I can't do it.

You are basically picking up and down very fast while muting. Like in Dammit of blink 182

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CB7uv_VpRs at :20 seconds.

When I do it it doesn't sound mellow but very choppy like I was hitting the cords brutally .

Any tips ? And what's the name of that technique so I can look it up ?
hes hitting a power chord, but alternate picking the root note. Ill give and explain.

D-6--------------6
A-6--------------6
E-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

hes hitting the chord on a down stroke, then going down, up, down, up, down, up, then hitting the next chord on a down stroke.

its called alternate picking, its the next step in becoming a better guitarist. I remeber when i first learned, it opened up a whole new door.
the part you are talking about is not "up and down" picking, it is just "down picking". you palm mute with your picking hand and just play each note with a down pick. it is quite fast, so try to stay relaxed but make sure there is no other unwanted noise.

for songs that use the same technique, try "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath and "Communication Breakdown" by Led Zeppelin.

im sure there are others but i cant think of them.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
dammits not very fast...
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
it sounds like a bass guitar thats making that sound...not sure if we r talking about the same thing.
Anyways, when u palm mute and pick, say the low E string, then picking closer to the bridge will give u a more crunchy sound, and picking closer to the neck pick-up will give a more sharp sound. try it out.
As for picking up and down very fast.....its called alternate picking, practice is all it needs.
Quote by woodsballplayer
hes hitting a power chord, but alternate picking the root note. Ill give and explain.

D-6--------------6
A-6--------------6
E-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

hes hitting the chord on a down stroke, then going down, up, down, up, down, up, then hitting the next chord on a down stroke.

its called alternate picking, its the next step in becoming a better guitarist. I remeber when i first learned, it opened up a whole new door.

i wouldnt play it using alternate picking, because then the notes will be unequal in how they sound, i.e. choppy. maybe its just preference, but i think it sounds better using down strokes only.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by woodsballplayer

D-6--------------6
A-6--------------6
E-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Thanks, I'll try doing D-6--------------6 but with down picking very fast.
A-6--------------6
E-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Still thanks for the alternate picking name, that's what I wanted to look up !