Page 1 of 3
Since I turned 18, I got a mail from the U.S government, saying I have to register for the selective service. Does that mean if there happens to be a draft, they'll make me join the military? Because looking at how the war in Iraq is going, how our democrats are divided, and how there will most likely be another 4-8 years of republican rule, there's a possibility of a draft coming. Anyone else registered?
Yeah, they made the Selective Service Act I think back during WWII because they needed soldiers (obviously).

It's the law, and yeah, you'll go in if there's a draft.
Pissed.
I don't know where you live if you think there'll be another 4 years of republican rule. They already lost the house, the senate, and they're about to lose the presidency.

You can NOT register, but then you'll also NOT be able to register as a voter.
I'm not sure...in germany you have to go to the military for 10 months or as a substitute, do community service...
you have to register, but there won't be a draft
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by frottage
there will be no draft. i will bet all of my male genitilia on it.

+1. They won't ever bring back the draft. Plus even if we do, my Dad said he would send me to Canada, I'd probably just go join the Coast Guard though.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
even if we got a republican president, and he wasn't basically a democrat anyway, there would be no draft.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
+1. They won't ever bring back the draft. Plus even if we do, my Dad said he would send me to Canada, I'd probably just go join the Coast Guard though.

i told my parents i'd move to canada, and they said they would disown me, no kidding
however, if we were fighting a war in defense of our country, i'd probably voluntarily enlist rather than wait for a draft.
Quote by frottage
there will be no draft. i will bet all of my male genitilia on it.

But then if there was a draft you wouldn't be man enough to go.....
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by frottage
even if we got a republican president, and he wasn't basically a democrat anyway, there would be no draft.

if we get a republican president it will be john mccain.
if we get a democratic president it will either be hilary clinton or barack obama, at this point we probably won't know until May 6th, or even until June.

there, you are now more in touch than you used to be.
Quote by urbandictionary.com
Frot

Used in the gay community as a term for an activity involving sexual gratification by rubbing that occurs between two men who do not wish, usually out of preference, to engage in anal intercourse. etymology: contraction of 'frottage'

So nice username too.
Last edited by pratt121 at Mar 30, 2008,
Quote by MedicreDemon
But then if there was a draft you wouldn't be man enough to go.....

exactly. so, in other words, i can never get drafted.
Quote by pratt121
if we get a republican president it will be john mccain.
if we get a democratic president it will either be hilary clinton or barack obama, at this point we probably won't know until May 6th, or even until June.

there, you are now more in touch than you used to be.

? i was just saying that McCain's basically a democrat.
Quote by frottage
? i was just saying that McCain's basically a democrat.

A democrat who supports the war and no child left behind?

One who's buying into Cheney's crap on Iran?\
Quote by urbandictionary.com
Frot

Used in the gay community as a term for an activity involving sexual gratification by rubbing that occurs between two men who do not wish, usually out of preference, to engage in anal intercourse. etymology: contraction of 'frottage'

So nice username too.
Quote by pratt121
A democrat who supports the war and no child left behind?

One who's buying into Cheney's crap on Iran?\

So nice username too.

in other words, dry humping. it's the name of my band.

i was just in columbus on friday.
thanks for reassurance, it's not fair to force people to fight in a war they don't believe in. So what other things are possible now that you are a registered to the selective service?
Everyone has to register, even if theres no draft. I guess it stops confusion or something if the draft was reinstated.
the backlash in this country would be ENORMOUS if a draft was instituted today, sadly the only ones actually going to war would be the poor, uneducated, and overly patriotic
I think it's pretty much required to do the selective service if you are a guy but the chances of a draft is pretty low.

hopefully this doesn' t turn into a political thread in which a bunch of idiots come in and state their political views that are based on nothing and use words they think they know and say a certain system of government is better and describe what they think it is and be completely wrong about what the system actually is.
Quote by loopypoopy
Since I turned 18, I got a mail from the U.S government, saying I have to register for the selective service. Does that mean if there happens to be a draft, they'll make me join the military? Because looking at how the war in Iraq is going, how our democrats are divided, and how there will most likely be another 4-8 years of republican rule, there's a possibility of a draft coming. Anyone else registered?

That is exactly what a draft is. I am surprised by how few people know this. You have to register for selective service, if it were optional, then there would be no point to a draft. I've registered already. There is not going to be a draft anyway.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I still refuse to sign it, honestly, I don't see the point, the way I'll see it I'm going off to Finland to study, and probably settling down over there, my parents support me all the way on this
Quote by solitaryshell90
I still refuse to sign it, honestly, I don't see the point, the way I'll see it I'm going off to Finland to study, and probably settling down over there, my parents support me all the way on this

You can go to jail if you don't, and from what I hear the punishments for this are pretty severe.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
So if there was a draft, they would just go down the list and make everyone join? I quite understand how they could find and force everyone to join, isn't it a waste of effort?
If there's going to be a draft, I'll just hop the border to Mexico, Canada is way too cliche.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by nt1440
the backlash in this country would be ENORMOUS if a draft was instituted today, sadly the only ones actually going to war would be the poor, uneducated, and overly patriotic

?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by pratt121
You can NOT register, but then you'll also NOT be able to register as a voter.
you also cant get a job, if that matters to you at all. i hear some people like money
I have no opinion on this matter.
Yes, it's a law that you have to register for selective service. If it gets down to it, which it may soon if we don't stop "spreading democracy", there will be a draft. I just turned 17, so I don't have long before I have to register and get shipped off to fight the rich man's war. w00t!
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
the way i see it, id rather have a nice time in jail than off to commit suicide in another country
Quote by loopypoopy
So if there was a draft, they would just go down the list and make everyone join? I quite understand how they could find and force everyone to join, isn't it a waste of effort?

They just imprison you if you don't join.
Like they did with Muhammad Ali
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by nt1440
the way i see it, id rather have a nice time in jail than off to commit suicide in another country

You consider sodomy a good time?
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by Bayonetwork
You consider sodomy a good time?

id make sure i was in a single cell

and either way ur being ****ed up the ass, one by a nice guy named bubba, one by uncle sam
Suck it up. You're a man in the government's eyes.

When this country needs you, answer the call. We don't live here for free, you know.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
From what I've heard, they kind of trump up the penalties for not registering to convince people to register. They could prosecute you, but most of the time, they can't be bothered to, they just put a little scare in you. That being said, it IS the law for males in the US aged 18-25 to register, and by refusing to do so, you ARE violating the law, and they could go after you if they wanted.

SS at this point in time is in place to make a draft easier to reinstate should it be necessary. It doesn't mean they're preparing for one. Also, conscription is adjusted for each person, you could claim conscientious objection (IE: You don't believe in the war because of moral or religious reasons, but, oddly enough, you can't declare CO on the basis of your own survival) or just suddenly discover that you're gay until the war's over. You can also declare that you're against the current war, and be assigned to desk jobs, conscription is forcing you to work for the military, not necessarily as a soldier.

Oh, and one more thing, they'd take you dead last. The order of conscription starts with the 24 and 25 year olds, the people who are about to "expire" in the military's eyes. They take 18 and 19 year olds last.

The draft won't be coming back anytime soon, no worries. Virtually NO ONE would support it, the backlash would be greater than during the Vietnam Conflict. I'm an 18 year old male, and I'm not too worried about it happening.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Quote by graybass_20x6

When this country needs you, answer the call. We don't live here for free, you know.

the country doesnt need us when there is no just cause

and i wouldnt take anyones life unless it was DIRECTLY threatening mine, i couldnt be a soldier
Quote by SG Man Forever
You can go to jail if you don't, and from what I hear the punishments for this are pretty severe.

Yeah, you have to sign up by the time your 25, I'm leaving next year, I'll be 19
I'm about to turn 19 this april and the government has not sent me anything asking me to sign up. I know I have to sing up or else they will come and take me. How do I sign up?
Quote by graybass_20x6

Unless you're gay of course.

"all men are created equal, except faggots"
... and the home of the brave *wipes tear from eye*
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 3