I just bought Zakk Wylde Icon Series guitar strings by Dunlop. They are gauged 10-60. Heavy Stuff. My Ibanez is currently equipped with 9-42. How much of an adjustment would have to be made to accommodate these strings?Saddle/truss/action/nut wise?

Im thinkin of returning them and buying a Ernie Ball 9-46 next time I pay a trip to GC.
Well I did absolutely nothing and everything was fine. I think my bridge was raised a bit, due to whammy/string tension, but I'm probably thinking of another instance.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I see. My Ibanez has a fixed bridge tho. I remember one a whammy equipped Ibanez i had before I put 11-52 and the bridge raised
you should get a pro to set it up for you, just in case.

you should watch out for problems with intonation, fret buzzing and truss rod.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
you'll have to widen the nut slots, otherwise the massive lower E string is going to split the nut.
Signatures are for posers.

oh wait, that's a signature.

dammit.
Quote by Jaeger
you'll have to widen the nut slots, otherwise the massive lower E string is going to split the nut.

I dont want to have to do any adjustments that cant be reversed. Guess I'm returning the strings. Also, would I have to adjust my low E slot to switch from 42 to 46 cuz it doesnt seem like much of a difference
The neck is going to bend forward quite a bit, so a truss rod adjustment will be needed.
No adjustment should be needed when going from 9s to 10s, unless it's got a Floyd.
my advice- don't even put them on. they're junk. I bought a couple sets. put on one, it sounded terrible compared the usual ernie ball strings I use, and the Dunlops cost more! the other set is just laying in a box somewhere.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
I see. I havent opened the box yet. Im returning it. Im gonna buy some Ernie ball 9-46. My 9-42 have served me well
my advice- don't even put them on. they're junk. I bought a couple sets. put on one, it sounded terrible compared the usual ernie ball strings I use, and the Dunlops cost more! the other set is just laying in a box somewhere.

Are you serious? I heard they sounded TOTALLY SLAMMING. Their overdrive is supposed to be CRUSHNG...

Sorry, I had to.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Quote by kyrreca
No adjustment should be needed when going from 9s to 10s, unless it's got a Floyd.

He's not going from 9-42 to 10-46. The thick strings are thick as hell in the set, and will have a lot more tension.
Quote by ketiov
He's not going from 9-42 to 10-46. The thick strings are thick as hell in the set, and will have a lot more tension.

I wouldn't call .046 "thick as hell". It's a medium set. Whatever, it's easy to see if the guitar needs adjustment when the strings are on. No point in messing with the truss rod unless it's needed.
Quote by kyrreca
I wouldn't call .046 "thick as hell". It's a medium set. Whatever, it's easy to see if the guitar needs adjustment when the strings are on. No point in messing with the truss rod unless it's needed.

He isn't... he is calling the 10-60's thick as hell.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by soccerdude3465
He isn't... he is calling the 10-60's thick as hell.

Oh yeah, I saw that in the first post now.
you'll have to carve the string groove a bit wider on the nut to accommodate the .60 gauge string.

otherwise if its not seated properly, you may run into a slew of tuning stability problems, action problems, and a possibility of busting a nut. heh..

anyway, just keep in mind that when you widen the groove, you can't unwiden it. so make sure you really want .60 gauged stringson your guitar.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
you'll have to carve the string groove a bit wider on the nut to accommodate the .60 gauge string.

otherwise if its not seated properly, you may run into a slew of tuning stability problems, action problems, and a possibility of busting a nut. heh..

anyway, just keep in mind that when you widen the groove, you can't unwiden it. so make sure you really want .60 gauged stringson your guitar.

I returned them. I didnt want to end up busting a nut, prematurely. It's an amateur kind of thing to do.
Other than adding tension to the truss rod, I'd have added another spring to the trem to compensate for the added tension of the wound strings, and most new Ibanez guitars with the Edge III or Edge PRO floating trem have nut slots wide enough to acommodate up to a .70 gauge string, tuning posts are another story, I use the old GHS ZW 11-70 in my Jackson Soloist and they work fine. Had it been me (I am a GC Accessories/ Guitars associate in Chicago) I would have asked you before you even bought them what kind of guitar it was for and the steps necessary to get them on, or recommend another brand if you didnt want to go through the hassle, so you wouldnt have had to return them in the first place. But heavy gauges like that are only really useful if you play in Drop tunings( I normally play in C standard/ 2 steps down) so your wound strings arent so floppy. A brand I strongly recommend and use are DR tite fit 11-50 for standard tuning, or DR pure blues which are pure nickel and are easier to bend with because nickel is a softer metal than the usual nickel/steel strings. Sorry for the Rambling, just thought I'd throw some knowledge out there.
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit- Oscar Wilde
Quote by Shadr Rizzo
Other than adding tension to the truss rod, I'd have added another spring to the trem to compensate for the added tension of the wound strings, and most new Ibanez guitars with the Edge III or Edge PRO floating trem have nut slots wide enough to acommodate up to a .70 gauge string, tuning posts are another story, I use the old GHS ZW 11-70 in my Jackson Soloist and they work fine. Had it been me (I am a GC Accessories/ Guitars associate in Chicago) I would have asked you before you even bought them what kind of guitar it was for and the steps necessary to get them on, or recommend another brand if you didnt want to go through the hassle, so you wouldnt have had to return them in the first place. But heavy gauges like that are only really useful if you play in Drop tunings( I normally play in C standard/ 2 steps down) so your wound strings arent so floppy. A brand I strongly recommend and use are DR tite fit 11-50 for standard tuning, or DR pure blues which are pure nickel and are easier to bend with because nickel is a softer metal than the usual nickel/steel strings. Sorry for the Rambling, just thought I'd throw some knowledge out there.

Wow. Thank you for the advice. Can you tell me something though? What strings do you recommend for that perfect Joe Satriani tone. His tone is very warm and tubular (not like a tube amp but actually tube sounding).