Page 1 of 2
Simple, what songs constain bass solos/licks/intros have you mistaken for another instrument?

Me personally..

Black Sabbath - Zero the Hero (Its like a keyboard but in an interview with Geezer on Talk Bass, he has said it is actually bass through a few pedals)

Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls, such a fine little intro to a song, I mistook it for a guitar when I firts heard it.

Your turn!

(Oh by the way, the lack of Cliff Burton the better )
Nearly the whole of Anastesia (Pulling Teeth) by Metallica. I later found out it was all bass.

Feel free to ignore, didn't read the whole OP. XD
cliff burton or not it took me a long time to find where his solo in orion was
i knew he had one i didnt know which one it was tho

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
The "synth" part in "Knights of Cydonia", parts of Stanley's work, especially with RTF sound keyboardish too, "Schism" from Tool, and the fretless solos in "Hey You" from Pink Floyd.

... looking back on it, I'm not the most intelligent, am I? :P
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
The bridge / solo in "I'll take you there" by the Staple Singers. I always thought that was a guitar until recently.
Quote by Narcotics
cliff burton or not it took me a long time to find where his solo in orion was
i knew he had one i didnt know which one it was tho

Same for me. It took me a while to find it.
Doesn't really fit the thread. But for the longest time I thought that the intro/post chorus riff to the "The Kids Aren't Alright" by the Offspring was bass.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by ChorusPedal88
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls, such a fine little intro to a song, I mistook it for a guitar when I firts heard it.

I saw some 14 year old Asian kid play FWTBT in a guitar store, with those bass lines on guitar. I don't know if his deer-in-the-headlights look was from my scolding him or from the fact that he probably didn't understand one word I said.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Pink Muse
The "synth" part in "Knights of Cydonia", parts of Stanley's work, especially with RTF sound keyboardish too, "Schism" from Tool, and the fretless solos in "Hey You" from Pink Floyd.

For some reason, most people don't know that the synth part is actually bass. This ignorance runs so deep that that part of the song in the game Band Hero is not played by the bass.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I think it's because of the heavy distortion. It's somewhat common in Muse's discography (albeit moreso in the later albums), but that's a really popular song, so many non-Muse fans wouldn't have really known that. Kinda.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by kranoscorp
For some reason, most people don't know that the synth part is actually bass. This ignorance runs so deep that that part of the song in the game Band Hero is not played by the bass.

the guitar hero version is unnacurate mostly because KoC lacks a strong guitar presence in portions of the song, so they re-did it. Even some of the vocal lines are played in guitar hero =P
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
the guitar hero version is unnacurate

Quote by CBurtonIsKing
the guitar hero version

Quote by CBurtonIsKing
guitar hero

Mystery solved.

A lot of Guitar Hero songs are horribly inaccurate.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
Mystery solved.

A lot of Guitar Hero songs are horribly inaccurate.

Well, duh.

To go with the thread I'm going with YYZ. There's so much improvisation and octaves that I didn't think it was bass until I started playing.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by hippiebass
The intro to Glass Prison by Dream Theater

+1
Quote by whatadrag
Tool-Vicarious

and several other tool songs.

wannit to say this...
In Tool songs it's often hard to tell if it's a bass or guitar...

Also some Praxis songs
Quote by Pink Muse

Although Chris doesnt tap it live, choosing to play that other root note line. Then again, itd be very hard to sing and tap at the same time.

Similarily, i thought the tap solo in Dream Theater's Metropolis was synth, purely 'cause of it's speed, and i was unfamiliar with John Myung's abilities
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Um im pretty sure you guys are totally wrong about the Knights of Cydonia synth line, and are doing a bit too much wishful thinking. It's a synth line that Matt plays, never have I seen or heard of Chris doing tapping on any sort of Muse bassline.

However a Muse line that i didnt realize was bass, was one of the intro harmonies for Map of the Probematique, which i initially thought was Matt playing on the bottom strings in the upper register. Until listening to the song live.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Last edited by Killibinizik at Apr 1, 2008,
my bands song called "Corgan". Everyone comes up to me and says such a cool bass intro!, im like its not a bass
www.myspace.com/thepressmen if u wanna hear it

Edit: but yea a song tht i thought was another instrument would prob. be the bass solo in Metropolis Pt 1 by Dream theater

i first heard it forever ago and now im like in love with DT
Quote by BFAbassist306
my bands song called "Corgan". Everyone comes up to me and says such a cool bass intro!, im like its not a bass
My Lame-attempt-at-subtle-band-promoting-o-meter is reading off the charts right now.

My friend, anyone who thinks that guitar intro is a bass is either simply not familiar with musical instruments at all or is a complete moron. My roommate was just informed by me the other day that the intro to Around the World is, indeed, on bass, and not on guitar.

This thread has been posted on a forum full of passionate bassists. Nobody is going to agree that that sounds like a bass. Because we're not morons.

I'm glad you have a band. Promote it elsewhere.

EDIT: Sorry for... sounding like a freaking Nazi. I don't know what it is with me right now. But I stand by what I say.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Last edited by WhyLater at Apr 2, 2008,
Panic Attack - Dream Theater

John's bit at the beginning sounded like an acoustic guitar to me at first.
Quote by BFAbassist306

Edit: but yea a song tht i thought was another instrument would prob. be the bass solo in Metropolis Pt 1 by Dream theater

i first heard it forever ago and now im like in love with DT

O.0" What was that? You sounded like you were scratching on 2 guitars @_@

Anyway, half of dream theatre's basslines on first listen, to me sounded like guitars.

D:
Quote by Killibinizik
Never have I seen or heard of Chris doing tapping on any sort of Muse bassline.

Before the arrival of Morgan Nicholls, Chris tapped the octave parts in the Intro and first verse of Butterflies and Hurricanes. You can see him do it here
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Same with Ace of Spades. And For Whom the Bell Tolls.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
the beginning of the patient - tool
didn't know what it was but i definitely didn't think it was bass
I always though the intro to "Around the World" was a guitar, cuz I bought Californication as soon as it came out... in 1999... when I was 11 years old... and pretty much didn't even know what a bass was yet.

EDIT: "Around the World" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I suppose that might not be as obvious to others as it is to me.
Book of Thel - Bruce Dickinson

I thought it was a guitar that played the intro, until I saw it live.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
the first time I heard "clubfoot" by kasabian I thought the bass part was guitar. I'm pretty sure it's bass guitar to this day?
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Blackbird - Jaco
Back in the Saddle - Aerosmith
It's sad how many Stanley Clarke/Return to Forever songs I could name haha.
0:11-0:16 of The Cure's Killing an Arab.

It sounds like another guitar, but it's actually just a bass on the G & D strings.
I figured it out when i looked for the tabs for it and it said, "Bass Part for Guitar".
O O

___
The double hammer-on intro riff to Heroes by Shinedown. I wasn't sure if it was a guitar or bass until I saw a live video of the song.
Page 1 of 2