It's a completely different design.
The bassman just has a cathode resistor on the preamp tubes. That gain stage is just what it says it is, a gain stage. It's going to have more gain and a different frequency response, which may or may not be a good thing. A rough approximation would be to turn on the fat switch on your blues junior; the fat switch off is close to the bassman's cathode follower, on is similar to that gain stage.
Why specifically did you want to know about these cathode followers? I wouldn't go messing with stuff like this if you don't understand the basic concept.
1) Learning experience
2) Want something unique over a dual channel amp.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Google is your friend!

Enter "SRPP amplifier" ... first hit was: http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2002/RIAA_Preamps_Part_2/page4.html
Great info there, and in the links within the article.

Much better than that pretentious little twerp's site in your link.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Jestersage
1) Learning experience
2) Want something unique over a dual channel amp.

Cool. I just wanted to make sure you weren't going to start tearing your amp apart.
What kind of design are you looking for? A SRPP would not be a good choice for a one-channel amp IMO because it's not as touch-sensitive as a second gain stage usually is, which is very important if you only have one channel. Of course, if you're staying away from multiple channels due to cost or complexity, this kind of cathode follower could serve as your second channel, though I would still recommend parallel preamps, which are not terribly complicated and can be switched and blended to give you a bunch of different sounds.
Quote by Roc8995

What kind of design are you looking for? A SRPP would not be a good choice for a one-channel amp IMO because it's not as touch-sensitive as a second gain stage usually is, which is very important if you only have one channel. Of course, if you're staying away from multiple channels due to cost or complexity, this kind of cathode follower could serve as your second channel, though I would still recommend parallel preamps, which are not terribly complicated and can be switched and blended to give you a bunch of different sounds.

I am still keeping my options open, of course. Originally it was just going to be a serial gain stage, but after reading the mod on BillM's page, as well as bassman's and many Marshall JCM schematic, I thought about using cathode follower to make it unique (over two channel amp) . Of course, if I decided to go all out, then perhaps another preamp is a much better choice.

P.S. Would you recommend the gain stage be pre (1+3) or post EQ (2+2)?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Mar 31, 2008,