Alright theres these chord shapes like this that you see everywhere

-3-
-5-
-5-
-5-
-3-
-x-

Thing is i cannot get them by barring my 3rd finger without ending up like this.

-5-
-5-
-5-
-5-
-3-
-x-
Or just muting the High E altogether.

Its like my finger feels and looks like its going to break doing it.

I always have to end up using my 3 fingers to do it but that messes up some of the embellishments you add to them.

I know John Frusciante has these chords everywhere in his songs and it makes it so awkward when i cant just barre these chords easily like he does.

So anyone got some kind of tips or something, cause it drives me crazy how i cant seem to do it.
Last edited by cj878 at Mar 30, 2008,
Personally, for something like that, I bar my index finger over the 3rd fret and then use my other 3 fingers to fret the 5th fret on the D G and B string like you do. Some people are good at baring stuff like that, but I am terrible at it so I look for ways around it.
yeah, sometimes for certain things, I find my fingers are too i dunno, fleshy? to incorporate such bars. Especially for chords, finding a fingering that works best for you is fine.

A lot of great guitarists have come up with very unique styles simply because they hold their chords differently.

Just as an added note, a lot of advanced voicings such as common in jazz will incorporate a 3-string bar with the middle or ring finger, so it is something that is worth getting your fingers acquainted to, but again...don't kill yourself and I would use all my fingers for that chord as well. hope it helps
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
The way I play chords like that, just mute the high E string.

Some people are able to, sort of, bend their ring finger back. I use this and my pinky to more-or-less mash onto the D G and B strings, while using my index to fret the A and my thumb hooked over to mute the E.

I found these A-shape barres much harder to get the hang of than the E-shape ones. For me it was just like one day I had a eureka moment, and realised that mashing my fingers like this worked every time. I guess you might want to look at lots of ways to play them. Also make sure you're trying them in different parts of the neck.
Just practice these fingerings slowly, take your time, just keep doing it and find a position that's comfortable for you, and most of the time, you won't hear the note coming from jthe high-e string.
hue