And also, if not, what amp? I was going to get an 18 watt Ceriatone Plexi. I want a Marshall-esque amp, preferably a Plexi or JCM 800. I need good cleans, and OD tones for blues/hard rock. Think Hendrix and Slash, for what I'm after. I'll have about 500, maybe a little more, and I'll buy used. BTW, don't recomend an amp if 18 is enough, just tell me that it is.

EDIT:And also, whats the dif. between JCM 800 2203 and 2204's? Which is usually better?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Last edited by mydogpoops at Mar 30, 2008,
You'd be surprised at how loud 18 watts of tube could be. It should be enough and then some, but even if its not most venues have a PA they'll mic you up to anyway.
To be honest, the Ceriatone would be perfect for that. If you were playing a big venue you could only get quiet cleans or a cleaner tone from lighter picking, as them amps are single channel.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
For small venues, yes. I just don't know how crisp your cleans will be, especially if yo don't want any breakup. I'm not sure on the Ceriatone amp line, but if you turn the cleans up too much, you might get unwanted breakup.
If your drummer doesnt pound the sh!t out of the drums, then you should be okay.
It depends what you mean by playing live ... in a bar, it should be enough... in wacken open air ... you have a hard time to make the 5th row of people hearing you. I don't have a very good idea of how loud is 18 watts tube amp, but if you play small venues, it should be enough.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
It will if you have the right speaker. A greenback will be too quiet, whereas a louder speaker (Anything by Weber, any Blue clone, G12, Vin30) should be fine.
Well I'm the first one to tell you this but the 18W has close to no headroom. But! It has great cleans when you roll down the volume. So it's perfect for the OD sounds you want and sounds great wehn you roll off the volume on your guitar.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ok, but is 36 watts too much? The OD tones are the most important thing here, I just want decent cleans. I don't want to have to crank it to get good tones for band practice, or for jams.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
Ok, but is 36 watts too much? The OD tones are the most important thing here, I just want decent cleans. I don't want to have to crank it to get good tones for band practice, or for jams.

Nope 36 watts will give you a lot more clean headroom.
But will I want to be able to crank the amp for the amazing OD tones, will it be too loud?
Quote by darkstar2466

Not significantly louder man. To double the sound of 16 watts of tube, you'd need 160 watts.