Never played guitar before my acoustic arrived last Tuesday, and since then have played twice a day just trying to learn open chords and toughen up my fingers.

I'd like to start trying to learn a song, just a nice easy open chord strummer. I can happily play most of the open chords now, but am struggling with C.

I like The Beatles, Radiohead, Nirvana, Oasis, REM, Muse, that kind of stuff.

Any recommendations of one to start with?
if you like oasis learn wonderwall....might aswell hey
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Footzyrama
if you like oasis learn wonderwall....might aswell hey

Does everyone start with Wonderwall? Seems like it!

Seriously, is it particularly easy? What chords are used?
good riddance by green day is a really good beginner song, I can't think of any others right now
^Yes. Regarding your original question, try searching the forums. Theres literally a thread every few days asking for good beginner songs.
^--A capo? Definitely, theyre not that expensive and theyre a very handy tool.
Capos rule.

Don't know if you know Stephen Lynch, but "Then She Farted" is an open chord strummer. Most of his stuff is stumming, with some fingerpicking here and there. But Then She Farted is particularly easy.

Other than that... Bad Moon Rising by CCR, Like A Stone(chord version) by Audioslave may fit your interests. Of course Wonderwall. But I don't know many others that would fit your description. Look up your fav artists on here, and look for tabs that say "Chords" near them. They are chord versions of the song, alot of them are pretty cool. That's basically all I did for my first 8-9 months of playing.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Capos are relatively cheap, and can really broaden the song selection. I would definatly reccomend picking one up. As far as easy songs

Bad moon rising
Wish you where here
House of the rising sun
Wonderwall
Good riddance
Karma Police

Those are like the first ones i learned
I'm trying to learn Everybody Hurts at the moment. Not exactly a strummer, but fun none the less.
Tangerine by Led Zeppelin, Polly by Nirvana, Wish you were here by Pink Floyd if you're up for it, Lennon's Working Class Hero. That should get you occupied for a couple of days.
Wish You Were Here!!! That was the first song I learned
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan

Alvarez RD-8
Ibanez Jet King 2
Dude my first song was ATWA by SOAD or SLTS by Nirvana. You can make a cappo with a pen/pencil and 2 rubber bands, just make sure they're tight. I dont know what that would do to the neck of an acoustic, but it didn't damage my electric so...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OReHnRMV9_E
Quote by ki9090
Capos are relatively cheap, and can really broaden the song selection. I would definatly reccomend picking one up. As far as easy songs

Bad moon rising
Wish you where here
House of the rising sun
Wonderwall
Good riddance
Karma Police

Those are like the first ones i learned

Er... I went into a music shop to buy a capo today. You're right, they are reasonably cheap. The big mistake I made was to try out a couple of guitars to see how they compared to the cheap thing I bought last week off the internet.

Ended up spending £200 on a new guitar
I'd say try Horse with No Name by America, and you should try some single string songs too.

Lol the first thing I learned was Enter Sandman, you should do that to help your coordination. Come as you are, by nirvana is real easy too.

If you plan on buying an electric, try getting used to some electric songs now. Especially power chords, it'll save you a lot fo practice if you learn them on an acoustic first. SO try learning Jet's Be my girl and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica. good stuff to help your fingers and give them a break later.