Page 1 of 3
Ok hey guys I currently own an Ibanez Iceman ICT700, sounds awesome through my Ibanez Chorus Pedal and Line 6 Spyder 3 15 watt amp,I can even bulls on parade scratch with no killswitch. Anyways, need a guitar that is a GIBSON that sounds good for Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer based stuff. I need it by Gibson because my uncle can get me gibson guitars free. Anyway I was thinking an X-Plorer pro, an SG Standard with natural burst finish like Adrian uses in Different World by Maide. I just need a good sounding guitar that will fit what I do.Thanks.
1. get a new amp
2. why does it need to be gibson

edit: nvm didnt read that part
id say the x-plorer then
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
what makes you think the sg is better that others cause adrian uses it in differnet wordl? i've seen them play that song twice and (though it's not a favourate of mine) it didn;t sund that awesome
I think the best for youre use is the X-plorer if its necessary needs to be Gibson.
Or maybe the Epi explorer gothic...

But why does it have to be Gibson , theyre are so much other brands out there.

Sorry , I understand why gibson
Last edited by PearlFoo at Mar 30, 2008,
gibson's aren't really meant for metal. but if its free probably an explorer.

but honestly, if you're really serious about your metal playing, don't go with gibson
Quote by PearlFoo
I think the best for youre use is the X-plorer if its necessary needs to be Gibson.
Or maybe the Epi explorer gothic...

But why does it have to be Gibson , theyre are so much other brands out there.

do you perposely not read, or simply can't?
tell him to get you an explorer, and while you're at it tell him to get me a robot guitar, or just any other form of les paul if you prefer
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Does no one read the damn posts?

+10000000000 to that shred X

Quote by aeliustehman
Yes free he knows the people that own the company

Lucky son of a bitch.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
a flying V is for makin the metal !!!!!
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Opethfan1
a flying V is for makin the metal !!!!!

But they're ugly and a pain in the ass to play. (OPINION PEOPLE)
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
ohh, i know. look up the new explorers. i cant remember their name, its like prophesy or something, but they have emgs and 24 frets. i think they might be epiphones, though.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Quote by CaRveItiNbass
ohh, i know. look up the new explorers. i cant remember their name, its like prophesy or something, but they have emgs and 24 frets. i think they might be epiphones, though.

Those are Epiphones. They seem pretty nice, but I wouldn't bother if I was getting a free Gibson.
i'd get a les paul and stick some EMG's in it if you want metal.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
^Agree'd. Get a super high-end LP then dump EMG's in it, that would be awesome for metal and LP's just have tone out the ass. A ton of artists actually use this combo and even though a Gibson or LP isn't really made for metal they sound great. I know one of the Trivium guys used LP's exclusively awhile back, and I *think* the lead for BFMV uses LP's in the studio.

Honestly that's what I would do. I really do love LP's, but I'm really looking for something with a FR trem, so unless someone starts making them standard an LP isn't going to happen for awhile for me
Any Gibson equipped with full sized humbuckers can handle metal. So if I were you, I'd try and get them to custom make you one, any body style you want (that they do) with the specs you want (like some heavy pickups like EMG's or something along those lines).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I've pretty much decided with getting a Les Paul standard with ebony finish and EMG pickups. Thanks for the input guys much appreciated.
Quote by edusty2010
^Agree'd. Get a super high-end LP then dump EMG's in it, that would be awesome for metal and LP's just have tone out the ass. A ton of artists actually use this combo and even though a Gibson or LP isn't really made for metal they sound great. I know one of the Trivium guys used LP's exclusively awhile back, and I *think* the lead for BFMV uses LP's in the studio.

Honestly that's what I would do. I really do love LP's, but I'm really looking for something with a FR trem, so unless someone starts making them standard an LP isn't going to happen for awhile for me

Pretty sure Kirk of Metallica used that for recording 'St Anger' , he's seen with it in the video of Some Kind of Monster, and I know it was a Gibson LP because I can see Gibson written on the headstock when I randomly paused once lol.
ok, here we go

if your uncle can get them free, he can prolly get a custom guitar extremely cheeply

so ask if they will make this in gibson form for you:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-FUTURA-CustomEX-with-Fixed-Bridge-Electric-Guitar?sku=515615

OR

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Custom-GX-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515619

also, you can always exchange the pickups with emgs or seymor duncans if you wanna be that much more metal

and if they cant do the whole customizeing thing, get this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Commemorative-50th-Anniversary-Explorer-Electric-Guitar-Brimstone?sku=516474

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Commemorative-50th-Anniversary-Flying-V-Electric-Guitar-Brimstone?sku=516437
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Quote by one vision
Get that new Shred X crap.

I would get that, but I'd rather get an LP with EMG pickups because of the huge tone and the clean tone and distorted tone would both be awesome AND it's basically the Shred X just with good distortion and good tone plus clean sound.
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
OMG that shred guitar has a kahler bridge. Gorgeous. Go for a les paul though. Its not made out of wood... is made out of tone.
Quote by edusty2010

Yea Matt Heafy used a LP with EMG's in it . 81 / 85 if i remember correctly
Quote by aeliustehman
Pretty sure Kirk of Metallica used that for recording 'St Anger' , he's seen with it in the video of Some Kind of Monster, and I know it was a Gibson LP because I can see Gibson written on the headstock when I randomly paused once lol.

Ah yes I believe he did. Also of course, Zack Wylde uses a LP with EMG's and Marshall amps, and he's a great metal player.

I wouldn't suggest a lot of the new "special edition" 08 models with golden frets, because those 24k gold frets will last all of 7 seconds. They're for looking at, not playing. The shred series look pretty nice, but I know there are mixed feelings with Kahler trems. I'm personally not a big fan but I don't hate them, I just like FR's more.

I haven't said this yet but congrats on getting a free high-quality guitar man, that's awesome.
Quote by aeliustehman
I would get that, but I'd rather get an LP with EMG pickups because of the huge tone and the clean tone and distorted tone would both be awesome AND it's basically the Shred X just with good distortion and good tone plus clean sound.

Though the Shred X got a kahler tremolo!
Quote by aeliustehman
Yes free he knows the people that own the company

Bullplop! I say he's a fence.
OK GUYS

My Verdict:

Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish with EMG pickups. Looks sweet. Sounds sweet.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
I'd go for something a bit better than a standard if they don't care what you ask for, maybe a Classic or a Supreme? I think one of those comes in black, and like I said before Matt Heffy (sp?) used *I think* a supreme (white finish/gold hardware) with a set of black 81/85's honestly it looked amazing, and I can't imagine it sounding bad at all.

But his was a $2,000 dollar guitar, so if you don't want to ask for something incredibly expensive I wouldn't ask for that, but if they're the actual owners of the company I highly doubt that they'd care if you asked for a guitar made out of solid gold toilet paper, they could afford making one.
Quote by edusty2010
I'd go for something a bit better than a standard if they don't care what you ask for, maybe a Classic or a Supreme? I think one of those comes in black, and like I said before Matt Heffy (sp?) used *I think* a supreme (white finish/gold hardware) with a set of black 81/85's honestly it looked amazing, and I can't imagine it sounding bad at all.

But his was a $2,000 dollar guitar, so if you don't want to ask for something incredibly expensive I wouldn't ask for that, but if they're the actual owners of the company I highly doubt that they'd care if you asked for a guitar made out of solid gold toilet paper, they could afford making one.

The Standard is actually more expensive then the classic...I have no idea which one is actually better..the Supreme only comes in one finish..not ebony. I'll read up some reviews on here about classic or standard...
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Page 1 of 3