Greetings. I have a questions for you modders out there. Last week I came into possession of a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL. Well, I did a dumb thing. I sold my current practice amp (Roland Cube 60) to my buddy without first hearing the Vox.
I assumed the XL version was similiar in sound to the previous model AD30VT (which I have used before) just with a more metal high gain sound which works for me. The tone on the XL sucks. I've verified it's working properly. So, I am stuck with it as a practice amp for a while. What I am wondering is- Can I swap out the stock 12" Vox speaker for say maybe an Celestion of some kind and get a better tone? Surely this amp can't sound THIS much worse than the original version can it? Will a new speaker help? Please say yes...Has anyone tried this mod on a Vox amp yet? Any help/comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys n gals.
You can swap out the speaker. Will it be much better? Probably not.

The Valvetronix sucks, especially when compared to the roland cube.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
yeah, I know. I'm actually kinda upset about what I've done. I miss my Cube. That amp ****ing rocked and had an awesome sounding clean channel. *sigh*
I have an AD50VT and it came stock with a celestion, so it should be fine.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
anybody have any experience with the Vox XL amp line that's positive?

not with the XL at least..

I still find the regular Vox VT series just fine for metal.. i play all sorts of heavy stuff like nile, morbid angel, vital remains..

if you pile on too much gain, everything you play will just kinda go mushy.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I wish I would have known the XL line was a fail. I searched google and couldn't even find an adequite review. Word to the wise - DO NOT purchase the Vox XL line amp(s). The tone is terrible. This amp is barely above an MG in sound quality/tone. What a letdown. I can't believe they even wasted a tube on this mess...
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Mar 30, 2008,