HI I'm looking into getting a new guitar because my old strat only has 21-frets because it's the Mexican kind. I play mostly stuff like Metallica and other metal stuff. I'm looking into possibly buying a Gibson Explorer but many people say there are better ones, so what are your recommendations?
For metal, look into ESP, Jackson and Schecter.

What is your price range?

Also, Metallica uses EMG's, so you might want to look into guitars with those, which ESP and Schecter have a lot.
If you want a good guitar get a schecter. Just don't get something from the damien series.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
what he said ^

also look at Dean. the ML shape is pretty sick
Quote by campbell92
Do you actually dance after each post you make?

...that would be so badass.

!!PanterA!!

Memeber #7 of the Altar Of Slayer!!
Quote by Alexander_BR
For metal, look into ESP, Jackson and Schecter.

What is your price range?

Also, Metallica uses EMG's, so you might want to look into guitars with those, which ESP and Schecter have a lot.

I actually don't have a price range but the most I'd be willing would be $1500-ish but cheaper is not always best if the guitar is always bad. Jacksons look good along with the rest, so Gibson isn't the way to go or they not good for what I'm looking for? If I did get an Explorer I'd replace the pickups that come with it with EMG 81-85.
Quote by which ones pink
What's your price range? What country do you live in? What amp do you have?

I live in Canada but there are music stores around here that will match the cheaper American prices. I have a Fender Frontman amp but thats all I know about it.
New amp?

and have you taken a look at Epiphone line up of guitars?
You can switch those out with EMG's
and they use cheaper wood than Gisbon so they have a darker tone
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']New amp?

and have you taken a look at Epiphone line up of guitars?
You can switch those out with EMG's
and they use cheaper wood than Gisbon so they have a darker tone
The Amp is fine, I have a Pod XT to change tone and stuff anyways. If anyone did not read the most important reason I need a new guitar is that I play lead so solo's are important to play right? Most go to at least 22, mine is only 21 so thats what I mainly looking for. Second are EMG pickups which I heard are great but can someone explain the importance of expensive pickups like that.
Hm, solo's.
Ibanez S520 or the S Prestige series would be good
They're perfect for leads
Jackson definitey, RR3 would be great.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Ibanez RG1570, Ibanez S520EX, Ibanez RGR1570, Ibanez RGT320Z, ESP/LTD Alexi Laiho 600, Jackson KE3 Kelly, Jackson DK2M, Jackson RR3.
The amp is gonna be much more useful than a new guitar will yet, look at Peavey tube amps and Mesa Recto's. If you're set on a new guitar for 1500, look at the RG 1570, or any Jackson in the MG or pro series.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by kool98769

Yes! Though i'd get something cheaper and use the left over money for a new amp.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Stick w/the More expensive amp, and get an Epi Futura FX.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i have a ibanez sz720 and recommend it to anyone its a beautiful guitar <3!!
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here