I have an Ampeg 210HE bass cab that is not being used right now. It is 8 ohms and has 200 watts rms/400 watts program. It needs a speaker replaced, but other than that it is in excellent condition.
I've seen a few bands using Ampeg cabs for guitars recently and the idea struck me. I wasn't sure what their exact set-up was, if it made a difference or not, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask UG; Do you think that with a good head I could this bass cab for a guitar? If so, any suggestions for a head?
Last edited by PCbassist at Mar 30, 2008,
I'm pretty sure that with cabs and heads, all you have to make sure of is that the Ohmage matches and that the speakers are rated for the wattage your head is + approx. 10%.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I'm pretty sure that with cabs and heads, all you have to make sure of is that the Ohmage matches and that the speakers are rated for the wattage your head is + approx. 10%.

So I'd need a head rated for at least 175 watts at 8 ohms?
Actually, I don't think that'd work, I'm not sure but if it's a bass cab, The speakers were probably built for the lower frequency sounds. And from what I know, Playing guitar through a bass amp and vise-versa can ruin the speakers. If they weren't built for the frequencys you play you can break them.
Quote by PCbassist
So I'd need a head rated for at least 175 watts at 8 ohms?

No, the speakers just have to be rated at greater than the wattage of your amp + 10%.

for example you could get a 60w Peavey 5150, but the speakers would have to be rated at >66 Watts.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
No, the speakers just have to be rated at greater than the wattage of your amp + 10%.

for example you could get a 60w Peavey 5150, but the speakers would have to be rated at >66 Watts.

If you read my post, I specified it's 200 watts rms handling. I was asking if an amp putting out 175-ish watts be what I am looking for?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
What do you mean? The speakers are rated for 200 watts? If so theres no problem.

Yeah. Thanks for the help!
Quote by PCbassist
If you read my post, I specified it's 200 watts rms handling. I was asking if an amp putting out 175-ish watts be what I am looking for?

The other way around, you can use any amp head from 1W -> 190W with that cab.
Quote by iamtompublic

+1

This explains what I was trying to explain better.
Quote by iamtompublic

I think that's the same way, that's just specifying that I could use as little as 1 watt to power it without damaging anything. but thank you!
You can run a guitar through a bass cab but not a bass through a guitar cab. It should have a clear tone but it would be a little boomy.
Personally, it depends on the bass cab. Some have a broad and clear enough freq. response to sound good with guitars, others don't. I prefer my bass amp for amplifiny my electric acoustic, for example, but you really need to expiriment and see.