So, I've started a new band, and I've been elected to be the lead singer (screamer). I have an ok-sounding scream, but I really want to play some technical stuff. So could you guys reccomend some ways to practice playing and screaming at the same time? Or songs to learn that would help. Thanks.

EDIT: we play stuff like children of bodom, death, and some black metally stuff.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Please don't call it a scream... I get images of second-rate mallcore when I hear that.

Metronome is your friend. You'll have to learn how to synch up what you're playing with what you're saying, as the timings are generally different. Approach it mathematically, ie 'I make this movement on this beat, and I put a syllable on this one...' It helps if you can play what you have to play without staring at the fretboard.
Practice both parts seperately. Make sure you know them inside and out.
Then gradually try to bring the two together. You don't have to sing/scream words at first, just sort of scat (y'know, 'shoop boo be doop').
There's no real easy way to play and sing together, you just have to work at it vv
I find it easier to get the guitar part so fluent you can play it almost without thinking, then start things like trying to hold a conversation with someone whilst playing a song. That helps with thinking about other things and talking and still getting the guitar part right, although it is difficult starting out.
Watch some necrophagist muhammed is a perfect example, ultra technical **** and he can still growl very well
Quote by StealthyHayze
Watch some necrophagist muhammed is a perfect example, ultra technical **** and he can still growl very well

...the hell is that going to help him learn, pray?
Quote by COBHC728
So, I've started a new band, and I've been elected to be the lead singer (screamer). I have an ok-sounding scream, but I really want to play some technical stuff. So could you guys reccomend some ways to practice playing and screaming at the same time? Or songs to learn that would help. Thanks.

EDIT: we play stuff like children of bodom, death, and some black metally stuff.

are u the lead guitarist. cuz its highly recomended that if u sing and play u should be rythm
Quote by devit
are u the lead guitarist. cuz its highly recomended that if u sing and play u should be rythm

yeah I am lead guitar. But it's not like any successful bands haven't had a lead guitarist/ lead singer... Death, Children of Bodom, Necrophagist. I know it can be done, I just need some advice on how to get it started. I've got crystal mountain down pretty well with both guitar and vox, but I need some other songs to get started on...
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9