I'm not sure what the point of buying a $200 pedal board is when I can just daisy-chain my 3 pedals using a single outlet. I have a onespot daisy chain thing that I got for 12 dollars, and that i plug into some other onespot thing which goes into the outlet (i know, my technical vocabulary is shameful).

So I'm wondering... why does anybody buy expensive pedal boards if you can power all of your pedals for like 30 bucks?
It's not just about the power. A pedal board means easy portability, and plus the power CONDITIONER on a pedal board reduces noise in the pedals by giving them the exact voltage they need, which therefore means less colouration to your tone. And pedal boards look damn cool.
i have no idea either. You can get a power block thing, or one of those daisy chains, for so little that buying a simple pedal case would be cheaper and you'd have pretty much the same thing.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
A pedal board is good for organizing pedals, and a power supply is a good way to power them. If you have a several pedals with a high mA draw, a daisy chained wall-wart won't be able to provide enough current.

Also, it's nice to have all your pedals ready to go with patch cables and power supply without spending 15 minutes setting them up before a gig. If you don't use many pedals it won't be necessary though.
If you are gigging a lot pedal boards are very useful for a number of reasons. You don;t have to set up your pedals every time u play a gig, they are well stored and protected when transporting, they are easy to carry around plus as mentioned above good boards have power conditioners to properly power your pedals. You also attach ur pedals to the board so they don't get moved around on stage. This stuff is only really useful if you are touring or gigging alot. If its just for bedroom use, or you keep your pedals in a practice space, I guess it's not worth it.

And they look professional and cool....ha
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
i have a digitech rp 250 and i have it from christmas 2006...now i still not know everything i can do...
p.s: i bought it for 250 euros (180 $) and now there are a lot of newer models..
Quote by benjaminby
Its a cheaper for beginners to get started with multiple effects.

That's multi-fx pedals. This thread is about pedal boards.
they look pro =D
and are useful if youre gonna carry your pedals a lot and still want a better or more specific tone than what multieffect pedals offer
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by bartdevil_metal
It's not just about the power. A pedal board means easy portability, and plus the power CONDITIONER on a pedal board reduces noise in the pedals by giving them the exact voltage they need, which therefore means less colouration to your tone. And pedal boards look damn cool.

Seriously? How noticeable is the effect of a power conditioner? Like, on a noise scale of 1-10, 1 being a humbucking guitar on the clean setting, and 10 being a single coil guitar through a distortion pedal, how much hum or "colouration" might pedals add without a proper power conditioner?
Because lugging an epic plank of wood around makes teh nubz think you are teh br00talz. It's like having a halfstack but you don't get ridiculed on UG for it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Because lugging an epic plank of wood around makes teh nubz think you are teh br00talz. It's like having a halfstack but you don't get ridiculed on UG for it.

be careful when using the daisy chain cables. It will power your cables but if your pedals draw too much power than it will kill your power transformer.

That happened to me. One day I came home and my pedal wouldn't turn on. I smelled the transformer and it smelled like smoke and the plastic on my power strip was all melted.
I only had two pedals (boss tuner and digitech metal master) chained together but I guess the digitech is digital or something and draws a lot of power.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by yoursweatersux
I'm not sure what the point of buying a $200 pedal board is when I can just daisy-chain my 3 pedals using a single outlet. I have a onespot daisy chain thing that I got for 12 dollars, and that i plug into some other onespot thing which goes into the outlet (i know, my technical vocabulary is shameful).

So I'm wondering... why does anybody buy expensive pedal boards if you can power all of your pedals for like 30 bucks?

if you have a lot of peadls and need to move them all a lot, thats when you need a PB...if you just play at home forget about it.
powered boards are not great, thats why many use power packs that mount on the board.

If you need a board look here:
http://www.rondomusic.com/pedalcases.html

I got one of their larger boards and although the velcro was useless and the case is a little thin it works well for my once or twice a year gigs and every day studio use.

Actually I need to downsize one of these days...this things way too large for what I have...
Quote by moody07747
Actually I need to downsize one of these days...this things way too large for what I have...

That's backwards thinking. You need more pedals to fill up your board.
Well the point of having a pedalboard is for the easy use at gigs and if you have a lot of pedals its just much easier to have everything organized instead of everything being on the floor.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by timi_hendrix

You are obv. retarted.

Well, for 3 pedals, you dont need a board.

If you cant think of good reasons to have a pedal board you are probably a friend of Timi Hendrix. I dont lug around my board so 11 year old retards think I bring the brootalz. Keeps them organized, and compact. Also, the daisy chain that connects them all stays in place all the time, and dont have to worry about jolts frying a pedal, etc.

Can you kids please start better threads? I am almost done with the retardism that is Ultimate Guitar.
Quote by kyrreca
A pedal board is good for organizing pedals, and a power supply is a good way to power them. If you have a several pedals with a high mA draw, a daisy chained wall-wart won't be able to provide enough current.

Also, it's nice to have all your pedals ready to go with patch cables and power supply without spending 15 minutes setting them up before a gig. If you don't use many pedals it won't be necessary though.

This is basically it.

Organisation, easier powering, simplicity of use, but also, protection of your pedals.

With a pedal board (assuming your pedals are secured to it in some way) there's reduced chance that they'll get knocked around if you're using them in a live setting, or damaged during transport. It just looks after your gear.

Sure, maybe some people with think you're all pro with your fancy board, but they definately have good practical purpose.
Quote by kyrreca
That's backwards thinking. You need more pedals to fill up your board.

I use software plugins for most of my work and have a Yamaha Magicstomp which I love the sound so I feel im covered fairly well as is...I could use a nice amp or two though...
Quote by richgray5
You are obv. retarted.

You are obv. incapable of humour. I'd say something about shovels and faces but it looks like you've got yourself banned already. Good job.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Bowling For1
i have a digitech rp 250 and i have it from christmas 2006...now i still not know everything i can do...
p.s: i bought it for 250 euros (180 $) and now there are a lot of newer models..

250 euro ain't 180 bucks. it's at least about 350 dollar I think
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)