Quote by joyal09
should i learn notes on the fretboard such as the ones in this chart?

http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/note-names/index.php

is it good to know, or a complete waste of time

its useful to know, and it wouldn't be a complete waste of time, if you are a beginner though, I would suggest you just work on your playing and technique for now.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
First, to learn something is never a waste of time.

With this said, IMO you'll learn that naturally over time.

For most of us, playing guitar is a hobby. Don't try to turn into some "school-homework-like" job... you have plenty of those in your daily obligations.

I'm not saying you should only practice when you feel like it... A daily practice plan will make wonders
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
Quote by joyal09
oh trust me i like to learn new things, its fun for me. yesterday i sat down for 2 hours and learned and memorized scales. i like to do it, because at the end of the day, im so happy, that i know one more important thing about guitar

How did you memorize the scales? You should learn the theory behind the scales as opposed to just learning boxes and finger positions, it'll be much more helpful.
This is incredibly important to learn and most guitarists neglect it. Knowing the notes will help you understand theory much easier when it comes up. Basically if you want to make your own songs knowing the notes will make your life much easier.
Quote by :-D
How did you memorize the scales? You should learn the theory behind the scales as opposed to just learning boxes and finger positions, it'll be much more helpful.

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/page2.php

i just played these for a few hours after readin up about them and watching videos on how to do it
Quote by joyal09
by having a bunch of notes that sound good with each other, i think. i havent really gotten into theory yet, im waiting till i go on my cruise to read up about it.

That's not exactly it, so yes, make sure you learn some theory - you should completely understand the major scale at least.
yeah learn all that...at first glance at tables liek that looks scary cause its like oh man, I have to memories all those # symbols where they all are and s**t like that but theres a formula to it
Learning the fretboard was the best thing I ever did.

I know a few intruments so now I can learn a song on guitar then transcribe it in my mind anywhere and play it on something like a piano.