I've been reading this Pentatonic to Modes UG article and want to be sure i'm understanding things right...

I'm actually using the Am Pentatonic Blues scales a lot and if i want to give it an Aeolian mode flavour here and there is it simply OK to start adding the couple of notes into the 'magic shape' mentioned in the article?

If i play the Am Pentatonic Blues scales as normal can i just add those notes whenever i like or is there some rule that needs to be followed?

Thanks for any advice.
Minor Pentatonic is the Aeolian mode with the 2nd and the 6th taken out.

If you're playing Minor Pentatonic then you're playing in Aeolian.
Quote by colohue
If you're playing Minor Pentatonic then you're playing in Aeolian.
Probably, not not always. The C Minor Pentatonic could be played in place of C Dorian or C Phrygian as well.

If you want to use A Aeolian, make sure the situation calls for F and B notes. Don't use it over a progression containing D chords or Bb chords, or anything that indicates something Dorian or Phrygian.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Probably, not not always. The C Minor Pentatonic could be played in place of C Dorian or C Phrygian as well.

If you want to use A Aeolian, make sure the situation calls for F and B notes. Don't use it over a progression containing D chords or Bb chords, or anything that indicates something Dorian or Phrygian.

Dorian and Phrygian being the second and third modes, which are both also minor correct?
The minor pentatonic is just the minor scale minus two notes (the 2nd and the 6th), so just use those other two notes. Also, the blues scale isn't actually a pentatonic because it has 6 notes, not 5.

Forget about "Aeolian" for the time being, it may use the same notes but you're not playing modal music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Okay, here's me thinking i understood something about modes ... so if i want to add some extra 'flavour' (along the lines of what's suggested in that article) to the Am blues scale how would i do it?
Just add the two notes of the minor scale that you haven't been playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com