It's a fairly simple process. Don't confuse simple with easy, though.

1. Hear
2. Play
3. Remember.
Writing /Creatiing my own songs. I have limited musical knowledge and this seems the easiest to do.
its not so much about the ear then, you get a sound in your head, and you need to findit on the fretboard, if youre having trouble with that, just keep practicing. you will get it sooner or later. some of the best riffs or licks come from just noodling on the guitar, and not even trying to write anything at all.
Quote by DominoK
Writing /Creatiing my own songs. I have limited musical knowledge and this seems the easiest to do.

well the reason you want to use your ear to create music, is because its an aural art.... not because its easy in any way. As your knowledge of theory increases.... you will still want to use your ear.

how to do it?

to train the ear:

learn songs by ear
memorize them
play them, enjoy them, be inspired by them
build up a repertoire of songs.

to write music:

get creative.... explore a bit. See what you can come up with.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 30, 2008,
Quote by Nick_
It's a fairly simple process. Don't confuse simple with easy, though.

1. Hear
2. Play
3. Remember.

I seem to forget #3 on my own creations.
Are you talking about writing music in general?

I just fool around with random notes, or improv over a progression/drum/bass track until I find something I like.

If you tend to forget what you play, RECORD RECORD RECORD!!! I absolutely HATE losing a good riff due to my faltering memory.
Writing music isn't done by just wanking everywhere. When I write, I almost always think it up in my head and just work extensively with it in my head before I even get near a guitar or a pen and paper.