Over 100 watts, I'd say. 120 perhaps? My 100W SS amp used to struggle at small gigs, my 50 watt valve amp could liquidise the Borrowers.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
around 100-150. Watt's dont determine how loud it is though. you can get two 50 watt tube amps that have different volume levels.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
50 x 2.5 = 125

a tube amp is 2.5 times louder than a solid state amp of the same wattage if i remember correctly.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
^About that.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Which 50W are we speaking? Our Laney TT50 with all volumes set to half way is as loud as my Rocker 30 with volume on 3. While my Plexi on 5 overpowered my whole band.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I know that my peavey classic 50 is louder than my friend's Marshall MG halfstack.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Waterboy799
50 x 2.5 = 125

a tube amp is 2.5 times louder than a solid state amp of the same wattage if i remember correctly.

Doesn't mean it's equal to 125 watts of Solid-State.

Remember, watts don't work the same as numbers. 100 Watts is twice as loud as 10 if I remember correctly
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
So is an AC30 75 watts? (since its 30 x 2.5 = 75... checks calculator... yeah... sure)
I HAVE A BAND NAMED FALLING CONFESSIONS
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

"When there's a freakin' will, there is always a freakin' way!"
Quote by Doodleface
Doesn't mean it's equal to 125 watts of Solid-State.

Remember, watts don't work the same as numbers. 100 Watts is twice as loud as 10 if I remember correctly

i guess

i'm no amp expert i just run off what i read on these forums
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
50w tube is = hearing damage, if i remember correctly.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Prodigy999
So is an AC30 75 watts? (since its 30 x 2.5 = 75... checks calculator... yeah... sure)

No it's 30 watts. Everyone is referring to tube and solid state watts as different units...they're not. Watts are watts, tube amps only SOUND louder to our ears and there are plenty of other factors (speaker efficiency for one) to take into account.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Yeah, wattage isn't the only thing that determines the volume of an amp, and like someone said before, different amps that are rated for the same wattage can be different volumes.

People seem to generally stick with this whole 2.5 thing for perceived volume, and I mean, it's not terribly far off the mark, but in reality, it doesn't matter all that much.

50 watts of tube power from pretty much anything is going to give you more volume than you need.
Frankly, there's not much difference in volume between 50W and 100W tube amps. The difference is in clean headroom. The VC50 will provide more than enough of that for almost any gigging situation, and get dirtier (and sound great doing it) as you crank it. Meanwhile, a SS amp of twice the wattage will only sound decent up to a little past halfway on the volume, and then start clipping in an unattractive SS way.

Quote by Prodigy999

The AC30 is notoriously loud (and actually puts out 33W fully engaged). It's probably louder than some 50W tube amps.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
does it matter? tube amps are fcuking loud and much better that SS amps, bottom line.
Quote by rageandlove04
Watts are watts, tube amps only SOUND louder to our ears and there are plenty of other factors (speaker efficiency for one) to take into account.

that's what people don't realise.

If you were to measure a solid state 50w amp and a tube 50w amp with the same speakers etc you'd get around the same amount of decibels. but if you asked a random personto say which one's louder they'd say the tube amp. And that's because tube amps break up instantly and the brain mistakes the distortion for volume.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by slatsmania

The AC30 is notoriously loud (and actually puts out 33W fully engaged). It's probably louder than some 50W tube amps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's quite common with English amps. I know that the Rockerverb 50 puts out about 90w cranked on the dirty channel. Something rediculous anyways.

But anyways, there's no direct number to multiply the valve wattage by to get the relevant solid state wattage. I understand that the perceived volume is affected by the power tubes among other things, so anywhere between 2-3 times louder is a good estimate.

Either way, 50w valve amps are rediculously loud.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
There is no magical conversion from one to the other. Oftentimes, 50W tube on one amp won't even be equal to 50W tube on another amp.

It's just really loud.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
If your being ass'y about it it's equal to 50W SS as Watts isn't a measure of volume...

But yeah, tubes only SOUND louder. And probably around a 100W SS to answer your question.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
that's what people don't realise.

If you were to measure a solid state 50w amp and a tube 50w amp with the same speakers etc you'd get around the same amount of decibels. but if you asked a random personto say which one's louder they'd say the tube amp. And that's because tube amps break up instantly and the brain mistakes the distortion for volume.

true upto the dirt being mistaken for volume

its cuz transistors cant amplify certain components of the wave or whatever, and tube amps amplify more frequencies and they sound louder to our ears, but not to say a computerised sound monitor or something

EDIT: i think
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
true upto the dirt being mistaken for volume

its cuz transistors cant amplify certain components of the wave or whatever, and tube amps amplify more frequencies and they sound louder to our ears, but not to say a computerised sound monitor or something

EDIT: i think

meh, an article I read (it was real scientific like, it even had references and stuff with graphs and charts and suchlike) said that because tube amps break up almost instantly, the ear hears it as a clean tone but louder (as in greater than the actual volume increase). Who am I to argue with someone who has a website?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.

Most of what's been said already is correct.

What it is, is that valve amps amplify and produce lots of odd and even order harmonics which SS amps dont, this is called harmonic distortion (like that article you read, maybe^) and is more prevalent at louder volumes. It also explains why some amps seem louder - EL84s add more HD than 6L6s, for example, so a 30w EL84 amp will seem slightly louder for its wattage than a 6L6 amp of a similar wattage. This harmonic distortion explains the loudness, which remains, dB wise, the same as an SS amp, but makes the tone fuller and much sweeter. Also explains why big tube amps very quiet sound a bit crap, as they dont produce much harmonic warmth.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

Most of what's been said already is correct.

What it is, is that valve amps amplify and produce lots of odd and even order harmonics which SS amps dont, this is called harmonic distortion (like that article you read, maybe^) and is more prevalent at louder volumes. It also explains why some amps seem louder - EL84s add more HD than 6L6s, for example, so a 30w EL84 amp will seem slightly louder for its wattage than a 6L6 amp of a similar wattage. This harmonic distortion explains the loudness, which remains, dB wise, the same as an SS amp, but makes the tone fuller and much sweeter. Also explains why big tube amps very quiet sound a bit crap, as they dont produce much harmonic warmth.

That's probably what the article was saying and I've seen 'tubes...distortion...makes it seem louder' and run off like a madman who thinks he's found the cure for measles, not realising that a) there's already an innoculation for measles that's quite effective and b) his interpretations of the results are that far off that his cure will actually just serve to mutate the illness to AIDs level deadliness.

I have a tendency to do that (not literally... I don't have access to those types of facilities).

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
That's probably what the article was saying and I've seen 'tubes...distortion...makes it seem louder' and run off like a madman who thinks he's found the cure for measles, not realising that a) there's already an innoculation for measles that's quite effective and b) his interpretations of the results are that far off that his cure will actually just serve to mutate the illness to AIDs level deadliness.

I have a tendency to do that (not literally... I don't have access to those types of facilities).

hmmmm, that is the sticky wicket
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I've seen this discussion 1000 times on UGand it's pointless, there's no use in trying to interpret how the human ear measures dB's. For all intents and purposes, what we hear is what it is. You close your eyes and I kick you in the balls, then I tell you it wasn't me, it was someone else, then it doesn't really matter because you just got kicked in the balls. If you hear something and it measured at 25 jigglypoofs, then you hear something that sounds louder but it's only 20 jigglypoofs, which one is louder?
Quote by Gutch220
You close your eyes and I kick you in the balls, then I tell you it wasn't me, it was someone else, then it doesn't really matter because you just got kicked in the balls. If you hear something and it measured at 25 jigglypoofs, then you hear something that sounds louder but it's only 20 jigglypoofs, which one is louder?

Excellent
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by slatsmania
Frankly, there's not much difference in volume between 50W and 100W tube amps. The difference is in clean headroom. The VC50 will provide more than enough of that for almost any gigging situation, and get dirtier (and sound great doing it) as you crank it. Meanwhile, a SS amp of twice the wattage will only sound decent up to a little past halfway on the volume, and then start clipping in an unattractive SS way.

An SS rectified AC30 puts out 33w clean, a Tube one 31w clean.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Gutch220
I've seen this discussion 1000 times on UGand it's pointless, there's no use in trying to interpret how the human ear measures dB's. For all intents and purposes, what we hear is what it is. You close your eyes and I kick you in the balls, then I tell you it wasn't me, it was someone else, then it doesn't really matter because you just got kicked in the balls. If you hear something and it measured at 25 jigglypoofs, then you hear something that sounds louder but it's only 20 jigglypoofs, which one is louder?

Best way i've ever seen that put
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
A ballpark estimate would be to equal a 100W Tube amp, is a 300W solid state amp. Look at all these solid state heads(Marshall Mode Four=350W, Fender Metalhead=300W, etc.) most ore in the range of 300 watts to compete with the Tube amps. Look at Dimebag Darrells signature amps, His Randall Warhead(3rd gen) was a 300Whead of ultimate destruction, then look at his Krank Krankenstein Tube head, it's 100W.
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit- Oscar Wilde
Quote by Sendrith
50w tube is = hearing damage, if i remember correctly

So So true!
O O

___