I'm looking at getting a nice practice amp to replace my SS piece of crap.

The Epi Valve Junior always seemed like a nice amp to me, but I hear Thomann sells these Harley Bentons which are essentially the same thing but cheaper. How are they quality wise? Does anyone have any experience with them? Could it do metal if I put a EHX Metal Muff in front of it? Would it be loud enough to go along with a drummer with a 2x12 cab?

I hope I'm not asking too much.. but thanks in advance
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
ive asked myself the same question quite often now.
Looking for a new sig!
Par the quality of the speaker, theyre essentially the same amp.

It will do metal to a satisfactory level, but its still pretty vintagely voiced. So I wouldnt rely on it.
Quote by beckyjc
Par the quality of the speaker, theyre essentially the same amp.

It will do metal to a satisfactory level, but its still pretty vintagely voiced. So I wouldnt rely on it.

It's more the gain than the voicing that I'm worried about. I was hoping a nice pedal, like the Metal Muff (which is supposedly oozing gain) would boost it into metal territory.

Does anyone have an Epi VJ with a gainy OD pedal? It should be pretty much the same thing.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Of course, the metal muff will deffinately get you enough gain.

You can get enough gain out of anything providing you put enough into it.

Also, you could probably get it over a drummer, theyre pretty loud amps. Ive gotten 10 watt SS amps over a drummer, providing of course you raise it from the ground and are only practicing, wouldnt rely on it for gig situations.
Harley Benton 212 Vintage cabs are just the same as any other Vintage 30 filled amp. Only difference might be the boards and solderings. But not easily optimized.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Alot of the tone from the cab comes from the material the cab is made with. Plywood doesnt sound so great. However, decent cabs on a budget id think..
Quote by beckyjc
Alot of the tone from the cab comes from the material the cab is made with. Plywood doesnt sound so great. However, decent cabs on a budget id think..

Wood doesn't actually matter that much with guitar cabs i don't think. It's more the speaker than anything...
Cranked VJ with OD pedal will get you to hard rock territory.

Stick a metal muff in from of it and you will have all the gain you could wish for, but as others have rightly pointed out the amp is quite vintage sounding so you may not be happy with the tone if you are playing lots of metal.

One thing I fond is missing when playing metal on a VJ is the lack of 'chug' when palm muting.
The Harley Beton GA5 is pretty much the same as the Valve Junior, as previously mentioned the speaker is perhaps a little bit poorer quality, breaks up alot. But they are very good sounding amps. I would recommend the 'Alnicomagnet' (ebay seller) delux brownface mod for this amp because then it sounds the absolute shiz.

However you would have to stick a OD infront for anything more than perhaps classic rock/light rock

And then as previously stated a metal muff or some other high gain pedal would get it into the metal range!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Alright, thanks guys. I guess it won't be perfect for metal, but ya can't get everything, huh? Especially on a tight budget..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9