Samick Royale
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Slash Wah Pedal
Bass Set-up:
Samick Fairlane 4-String Bass
Line 6 Low-Down
i think that he used stock pickups, and possible Seymour Duncans
but his tone mostly comes from his Marshall Plexi
Rhoads use a Dimarzio Distortion Plus in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF in the neck on his polk-a-dot v

This was in the Rhoads Guitar Legend magazine
dang i woulda assumed he used SDs....but power to Randy.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
He used the stock pickups in his Les Paul, A Dimarzio Distortion in the bridge position and a Dimarzio PAF in the neck position of the Polka Dot V, and for his first Jackson I'm pretty sure it was the Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB and SH-2 Jazz, like the guy above me said. I'm not 100% sure on what pickups he had in his 2nd designed Jackson, but I think it was the same Seymour Duncan set-up.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Dimarzio Distortion Plus in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF in the Sandoval, JB and Jazz in the Concorde/Rhoads guitar and T-Top P.A.F. pickups in the '74 Les Paul.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Shiptoni
Rhoads use a Dimarzio Distortion Plus in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF in the neck on his polk-a-dot v

This was in the Rhoads Guitar Legend magazine

I just got that magazine.
Really cool.
Yeah, I remember it saying that he used those.
Not sure what he used in that LP or his Jackson V, though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
nice! i just happen to use the same SD combo as he did! that's cool. i don't know randy's gear history hardly other than a few of the models and pedals and amps he used, but i'm pretty sure he didn't use active pups right?

and if Randy Rhoads doesn't have to use active pups to get as heavy as he did...then neither does anyone else.

i just think it's funny that people assume you gotta have teh AcTiVEss to do brOOtaLZ music when this guy did it w/ Plexis and Hot rodded set.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I saw RR with several guitars in that magazine, and none had actives for what I could see.
RR used .10 and .11 strings I thought the mag said, so maybe his tone had a little extra thickness to it due to those. His Plexis did the most to his tone though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by slash_rocks2005
nice! i just happen to use the same SD combo as he did! that's cool. i don't know randy's gear history hardly other than a few of the models and pedals and amps he used, but i'm pretty sure he didn't use active pups right?

and if Randy Rhoads doesn't have to use active pups to get as heavy as he did...then neither does anyone else.

i just think it's funny that people assume you gotta have teh AcTiVEss to do brOOtaLZ music when this guy did it w/ Plexis and Hot rodded set.

the fact that he double or triple tracked all of his guitar parts has a big impact on how heavy his sound was.

But I agree that you can get really heavy without active pups.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i guess when ur the only guitarist in the band you gotta resort to things like that. only time i think double tracking is appropriate...unless the band doesn't care that fans will be a lil dissapointed w/ a "less intense" sound at live performances...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i guess when ur the only guitarist in the band you gotta resort to things like that. only time i think double tracking is appropriate...unless the band doesn't care that fans will be a lil dissapointed w/ a "less intense" sound at live performances...

well when he double tracked he just played the same thing (yes even the solos, that's gotta be a bitch to get them to be almost exactly the same) you can use an ADT pedal to get a similar sound live.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by slash_rocks2005

Not to pick on you or anything but Randy's sound wasn't all that heavy. People don't buy actives to get 'br00t4lz' distortion. They buy them for the voicing and how they handle gain. I dare you to use old PAF style pickups with a loud, high gain amp.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
personally i think high output passives are better way to go. versatility is great. but if ur dedicated to ONE genre then that's ur cup of tea.

listening to stuff like Diary of a Madman and Mr. Crowley....i'd have to say that i still think Rhoads is pretty heavy.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
personally i think high output passives are better way to go. versatility is great. but if ur dedicated to ONE genre then that's ur cup of tea.

listening to stuff like Diary of a Madman and Mr. Crowley....i'd have to say that i still think Rhoads is pretty heavy.

Maybe it's heavy compared to what you're used to listening too but it's not really heavy at all.

Actually, I find mid output pickups better. Much better clarity and it doesn't muddy up at higher gain levels compared to the high output ones.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i understand that there's all these gain-monster death metal bands out there that use tons of distortion but my use of the word heavy is just how i describe the mood of the music.

you would think high output pups would handle higher gain better than mid output ones though wouldn't ya. although G N R are notorious for having a higher amount of gain and slash was pretty much dedicated to the Alnico IIs-mid output rite?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i understand that there's all these gain-monster death metal bands out there that use tons of distortion but my use of the word heavy is just how i describe the mood of the music.

you would think high output pups would handle higher gain better than mid output ones though wouldn't ya. although G N R are notorious for having a higher amount of gain and slash was pretty much dedicated to the Alnico IIs-mid output rite?

Yeah, but again, GNR isn't really 'heavy' though. For instance, Lamb of God uses the SD '59 pickups which are mid output.

I'd really consider 'heavy' gainy either. I consider it more along the lines of percussive and present.

Randy had to overdub quite a bit to get his tone like that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
1. Thanks to all for helping me out.
2. I wouldn't say that GnR has a consistent heavy sound. Slash cranked it up on occasion, but I'd def call them "hard rock" intead of "metal."
3. I started up a pretty cool thread. Kudos to me!
Guitar Set-up:
Silvertone Rokit w/ Bill Lawrence Wylde Pickups
Silvertone Citation w/ SRV Pickguard
Samick Avion
Samick Royale
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Slash Wah Pedal
Bass Set-up:
Line 6 Low-Down
Quote by Thebiz

Nice find! Thanks!

BTW, when did Randy ever use a wah?
Guitar Set-up:
Samick Avion
Samick Royale
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Slash Wah Pedal
Bass Set-up:
Line 6 Low-Down
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
the fact that he double or triple tracked all of his guitar parts has a big impact on how heavy his sound was.

But I agree that you can get really heavy without active pups.

Actually, his live tone is pretty spot on with his studio tone. Check out Ozzy's "Tribute" album.

Quote by Ice Cold J
2. I wouldn't say that GnR has a consistent heavy sound. Slash cranked it up on occasion, but I'd def call them "hard rock" intead of "metal."

Well, if you compare it to modern metal, then yeah.
I don't think it's right to do that, though. During their era, they were metal, and that's that.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Actually, his live tone is pretty spot on with his studio tone. Check out Ozzy's "Tribute" album.

Well, if you compare it to modern metal, then yeah.
I don't think it's right to do that, though. During their era, they were metal, and that's that.

During their era, metal was either pretty boys in spandex or thrashers.
I'll still call them rock, cause they were more diverse than most metal bands of the time, but I can see how people can call them metal, too.
Guitar Set-up:
Samick Avion
Samick Royale
Line 6 Spider III
Dunlop Slash Wah Pedal
Bass Set-up:
Line 6 Low-Down
I've always thought Randy used two Duncan JBs, as that's been the standard in a number RR models for quite some time. Obviously his V and his LP had DiMarzio's. Interestingly, I have a picture of him using a stock Strat in the studio; could have something to do with his buzzy studio tone, plus it pictures a MXR D+ being run right into the mixing board.

For what it's worth, I am not sure what the early 90's Rhoads Limited and the Jackson/Charvel forum JCF-01 (recreation of the formerly missing third RR) has, but I want to say the original third RR had Jackson J80 pickups for some reason.
I saw Randy im Feb 81 before he died.I was 14,he was my God,he sounded amazing and I was in Heaven!
lol @ calling 80's music heavy

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not to pick on you or anything but Randy's sound wasn't all that heavy. People don't buy actives to get 'br00t4lz' distortion. They buy them for the voicing and how they handle gain. I dare you to use old PAF style pickups with a loud, high gain amp.

not to pick on you but REALLY. hmmmm...... I've used plenty of PAF style pickups over the years and high gain amps works fine. they give you a cleaner signal to work with and distort yet retain clarity. dude I'm kinda surprised usually you know what you are talking about. oh and if I had a dime for every kid who wanted actives to get the brOOtz I'd be rich. very rarely do hear a damn thing about voicing just how hot they are.
Quote by Tremolo Bum
lol @ calling 80's music heavy

really so thrash metal isn't heavy? at the time it certainly was and bands like Celtic Frost still hold up pretty well in the heavy dept. ignorant statement. geez what is it with young metal guys.
Music began when they first heard it.
Quote by monwobobbo
really so thrash metal isn't heavy? at the time it certainly was and bands like Celtic Frost still hold up pretty well in the heavy dept. ignorant statement. geez what is it with young metal guys.
okay I'm going to drop my opinion to get off topic however and I'll probably get chastised but I'm used to it. What kids don't realize I believe these days is that most of these so-called metal bands out there now are just copying each other. Black Sabbath, deep purple, Eddie Van Halen, Ozzy with Randy Rhoads we're all unique to themselves. When you turn down the radio back then and blizzard of Ozz just came out or van Halen 2 or any of the others you could tell immediately who you were listening to even if you had never heard the song before. Now I won't say that there isn't skilled guitarist in these new metal bands but they're not doing anything new it's all been done before. And those who originated that type of playing pretty much took the guitar to a lvel which can only be copied or taken from but not improved. These kids nowadays are so over processed that you can't really tell one from the other as far as Im concerned. so what you have is some kids Butler not for one another but don't recognize or know anything about the roots of that style and invention.and I do have experience with early twenties kids who listen to modern metal and when I play the originator as I listed above they just can't grass or get into it. On like I did when I was very young and Hendrix header already come and gone Zeppelin had broken up Black Sabbath had broken up deep purple had broken up recently yet I had all their albums and wanted nothing less but to learn what they had to offer.