I was thinking of getting one. Something on the lower end of the cost spectrum.
Opinions and suggestions?
Keeping it real since '92
First off I'm not a bassist but I'll blurt out my opinions anyway. If you play music that specifically needs the application of an acoustic bass then yes you should look into it and wait to get at least a mid-priced one. If it's just cause you want to play without pluggin' in, I wouldn't recommend it. I know 3 bassists who bought it for the latter reason and they either sold it or they keep it in their closet.

But of the two people I know who play out with an acoustic bass have quite expensive ones - I'm guessing the acoustic bass tone is harder to achieve? Which...would make sense because even cheap uprights cost over a thousand bucks.

EDIT: oh yeah - I'm sure you'll get better responses in the bass forum.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Just make sure you play the one you're thinking about getting. I would highly recommend not ordering one. I've seen $200 one have an amazing low frequency response, but most are very weak. If you play the low notes, the volume just isn't there, they only do halfway ok with the boomier notes, but the real low notes, like a low G and below, just sound very shallow, you only hear the upper harmonics like twangy sounds, and the volume just isn't there. A good acoustic bass shouldn't taper off as you get lower, but you will find that this is very common.

The tone really isn't all that different from an electric with no signal processing, it's just bass. The difference is small. You don't get as many harmonics as you would expect if you like acoustic guitars, it's mostly just raw bass, especially if you just use your fingers like most people do when plucking them. Using a pick would sound better I'm sure.
If its fret less it should be fine. Its pretty much the same boat as a double bass sound wise.
I own a Monterey MB-05 (pic in profile). Its only a cheap one to muck around on, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone who is serious about bass playing but it was the best i played in its price range.
The bass forum will have the best advice to be honest.

I'd recommend the Tacoma Thunderchief - it's the only high-end acoustic bass worth looking at if my time in the bass forum has taught me anything.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Felkara
The bass forum will have the best advice to be honest.

I'd recommend the Tacoma Thunderchief - it's the only high-end acoustic bass worth looking at if my time in the bass forum has taught me anything.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it should go in acoustic or bass. It was 50-50
Keeping it real since '92