Marshall Dual super lead, 40 watts through 1 12 inch speaker
is this thing gig worthy? if not , is there an extension cab you'd reccomend?
30-50 Tube watts is all you will ever need from small to moderately large gigs.

Yes, it will be plenty...and if not for some strange reason just mic it.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I've never actually used one, but from what I hear, I think it should. Just ask someone in the 'What Amp' thread if no one else answers

R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
dont do it.
The DSL is muddy, and if you're thinking of THE marshall tone (im assuming you are since you've looked into marshall tubes) this is NOT the amp for ya.
Basically its a Nu-Metal amp. (worthless)
Its a nice amp, no doubt, but not even close to worth its hefty price tag.
If you want a marshall tone, go for the traynor YCV 50 blue.
I oringinally had a marshall dsl 401. I didn't really like it, and it proved to be unreliable, so i got rid of it and got my traynor, and i couldn't be happier.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
The DSL 401 is certainly gig worthy for bar and small/med size venues. Really anything louder and you will mic/ or PA the sound anyway to sound decent. I agree with Kool (posted above) that the Traynor is a great budget valve amp that can deliver the Marshall sound, but since your in England you might as well get the real deal as Marshall's have decent prices - compared to US.

The DSL can sound muddy, but play with EQ Gain Volume and the 401 is a mean sound machine. Also, (like people with Traynors do) you can always change out valves and/or speakers to dial in your sound. I recommend a real Marshall for folks in England or used in US.

As far as new goes - the Traynor is a sweet amp for the price at around 600ish with the Marshall going above a grand - in the US anyway.

Good luck and don't worry about gigging. Oh, and the DSL 401 has terriffic Speaker emulation DI out for recording.

I have paced a small fan behind my DSL 401 and have no overheat problems in 8 years. I realize Marshall should have done this simple thing, but the fan cost about 5 bucks so no big deal.

Peace
Last edited by damnedone at Mar 31, 2008,
i have a DSL401 that i use for gigging and it sounds great to be honest!
i replaced the speaker with a vintage 30, which makes a massive improvement, and i also use a marshall 1936 2x12 extension cabinet
Quote by kool98769
dont do it.
The DSL is muddy, and if you're thinking of THE marshall tone (im assuming you are since you've looked into marshall tubes) this is NOT the amp for ya.
Basically its a Nu-Metal amp. (worthless)
Its a nice amp, no doubt, but not even close to worth its hefty price tag.
If you want a marshall tone, go for the traynor YCV 50 blue.
I oringinally had a marshall dsl 401. I didn't really like it, and it proved to be unreliable, so i got rid of it and got my traynor, and i couldn't be happier.

Fail. Go look at the Marshall table.

There's a lot of bandwagon hopping recently on the DSL401, but I'll tell you the truth. What it excels in is being versatile. It can do a wide variety of sounds without needing additional pedals as other amps often do. That's why I love mine.

Sound/tone is also opinion, and it is many peoples opinion that the stock speaker is crap. Well, I think it's pretty good when cranked but if you don't like it you can always switch it for another speaker. I'm told a Vintage 30 Celestron suits it very well, and sorts out muddiness. Personally I think it stays fairly clear of muddiness as long as you keep the pre-amp volume at 5 or below, remember natural overdrive comes from the master volume not pre-amp.

Try one out though, see what you think, and don't get put off by bandwagon hopping idiots as the DSL401 is a brilliant amp

EDIT: Ah yep, others have mentioned swapping the speaker and whatnot. And about the overheating problems mentioned, this is only present in pre 2003 models I do believe, Marshall did indeed sort it out. So if you buy second hand check it's manufactor date. I know mine is post 2003 and has never had any heat issues.
Last edited by sofubar at Mar 31, 2008,
The DSL is alright, but a Laney VC30 will do what you want better and it's cheaper
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
For what you are doing get a Peavy Classic 30 or a Laney VC30 instead. They will sound much better for what you are playing.
Also have a look at Sound City amps.

The new mark 6 range is fantastically versatile. I my DSL a couple of month ago to get the SC50h. I havn't looked back since.

+1 to the VC30 suggestions too.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Perhaps a used JCM 900?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
JCM2000 DSL401 Review
Features: 8.8
Sound: 9.8
Reliability: 9.6
Impression: 10

Overall rate: 9.6
Users rating: 8.5
Comments: 35

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/jcm2000_dsl401/index.html

Laney VC30-112 Review
Features: 8.7
Sound: 8
Reliability: 6
Impression: 8.3

Overall rate: 7.8
Users rating: 8.9
Comments: 5

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/laney/vc30-112/index.html

Quote by Yngwi3
The DSL is alright, but a Laney VC30 will do what you want better and it's cheaper
Quote by sofubar
Fail. Go look at the Marshall table.

There's a lot of bandwagon hopping recently on the DSL401, but I'll tell you the truth. What it excels in is being versatile. It can do a wide variety of sounds without needing additional pedals as other amps often do. That's why I love mine.

Sound/tone is also opinion, and it is many peoples opinion that the stock speaker is crap. Well, I think it's pretty good when cranked but if you don't like it you can always switch it for another speaker. I'm told a Vintage 30 Celestron suits it very well, and sorts out muddiness. Personally I think it stays fairly clear of muddiness as long as you keep the pre-amp volume at 5 or below, remember natural overdrive comes from the master volume not pre-amp.

Try one out though, see what you think, and don't get put off by bandwagon hopping idiots as the DSL401 is a brilliant amp

EDIT: Ah yep, others have mentioned swapping the speaker and whatnot. And about the overheating problems mentioned, this is only present in pre 2003 models I do believe, Marshall did indeed sort it out. So if you buy second hand check it's manufactor date. I know mine is post 2003 and has never had any heat issues.

you do realize that the DSL 401 and MG have the EXACT SAME SPEAKER, right?
I'm not hopping on the bandwagon, i auctually HAD THE AMP.
What dont you understand about that...
I HAD THE AMP.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by damnedone
JCM2000 DSL401 Review
Features: 8.8
Sound: 9.8
Reliability: 9.6
Impression: 10

Overall rate: 9.6
Users rating: 8.5
Comments: 35

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/jcm2000_dsl401/index.html

Laney VC30-112 Review
Features: 8.7
Sound: 8
Reliability: 6
Impression: 8.3

Overall rate: 7.8
Users rating: 8.9
Comments: 5

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/laney/vc30-112/index.html

Man I wish I listened to you earlier.

MG100DFX Review
Features: 8.5
Sound: 8.7
Reliability: 8.3
Impression: 8.8
Overall rating:
Users rating:
Comments:

http://ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/mg100dfx/index.html

SO my next amp.

...Please. Get a clue.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by kool98769

you do realize that the DSL 401 and MG have the EXACT SAME SPEAKER, right?
I'm not hopping on the bandwagon, i auctually HAD THE AMP.
What dont you understand about that...
I HAD THE AMP.

Indeed, but some of us don't just shrug our shoulders sell the amp and buy a different one. We replace the stock speaker to find out how different it sounds.

And you are clearly a tone deaf person as you claim it sounded 'nu metal' and it was good for nothing more than 'nu metal' I must say I've never heard it called that before. Why? Because it sounds nothing like that! It's really not that gainy at all! 80's metal is about as heavy as it gets (which IMO is the decent metal). Now I repeat, go check the Marshall table. You will find one of the DSL's few red spots is nu metal...