After many a year of guitaring, I'm very much pondering getting a cheap-ish bass setup to help my general musician-ship - Main bassist I'm wanting to get close to in tone is Mr. Kilmister himself, so am wondering if there's any way I can get close on a budget.
Budget I'm looking for is £250 tops. Bass, amp, etc. - Not looking for anything major, but I've no knowledge of 4-strings whatsoever. Mank thanks in advance
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
lulz mudget.

check the faq, theres a section on starter basses

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
...the hell? Oh, jesus...
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
lol jon

do as this boy said

anywho lemmy plays a rickenbacker and anyway you slice it a rickenbacker is not a budget bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Posh, posh, posh. His tone comes from a Ric, yes, but his bleeding setup is so... counterintuitive that it just doesn't matter.

You need a bass.

A bass overdrive pedal.

An amp with a 3 band EQ.

Turn the bass to 0. Turn the treble to 0. Turn the mids full.

Step on the pedal and overdrive to taste.

Play with a pick near the bridge. Lemmy, from what I understand, solos his neck pickup - although his tone is so ricey that it probably won't matter.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Posh, posh, posh. His tone comes from a Ric, yes, but his bleeding setup is so... counterintuitive that it just doesn't matter.

You need a bass.

A bass overdrive pedal.

An amp with a 3 band EQ.

Turn the bass to 0. Turn the treble to 0. Turn the mids full.

Step on the pedal and overdrive to taste.

Play with a pick near the bridge. Lemmy, from what I understand, solos his neck pickup - although his tone is so ricey that it probably won't matter.

+4
Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not one of these dudes who just says things he thinks about EQ settings. He actually DOES cut all bass and treble and boost the mids. I'm not making that up. If I was going to make something up, I'd have you pour pancake sauce all over the speaker or something.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Oh, and just to clarify, I'm not one of these dudes who just says things he thinks about EQ settings. He actually DOES cut all bass and treble and boost the mids. I'm not making that up. If I was going to make something up, I'd have you pour pancake sauce all over the speaker or something.

Or have you use a bass amp

With that price, the quality doesn't matter as much as you would think. Look for stuff that high reliability (ie NO Behringer) and get a bass you like the feel of.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Or have you use a bass amp

He does! I swears! Marshall Super Bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by skater dan0
anyway you slice it a rickenbacker is not a budget bass

unless youre lemmy...
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by IndianRockStar
O RLY?

I actually did not know that. Has he always used one, or is this a new thing?

From what I understand, he's only had the one, and he's had it for a long time. Badged "Freightshaker", I believe.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I believe that Lemmy runs his Ricky stereo, so maybe there's more to it than boosting the mids and cutting the bass and treble completely.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
From what I read, he only uses the neck pickup on one amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Really? I thought he ran it stereo.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I have it in a bass magazine that's not with me right now... an old-ass issue of Bass Guitar from 2006. They give his amp controls and everything. Bass and treble off, mids full, presence and volume 3 o'clock.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I have it in a bass magazine that's not with me right now... an old-ass issue of Bass Guitar from 2006. They give his amp controls and everything. Bass and treble off, mids full, presence and volume 3 o'clock.

+1. I have that issue.