So Im thinking about a new guitar, I found a really good deal basicly but it has a
25.5" neck?

All the guitars I have played are 24-3/4" so Im wondering what would the difference by sound wise and physically*

*If there is a physical difference..
its just a bit akward to adjust to at first (not to hard for some, pain in the ass for others)
basically if you go from fender to gibson youll run into the same thing
There is no difference in sound as far as I can hear, the only real difference is gonna be the frets. They're gonna be a bit bigger
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
The neck is longer, and it will be a bit brighter, and the strings will have more tension, so therefore they will be a bit tougher to bend than strings of the same gauge on a 24.75"scale.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Sound wise I don't think it will change very much other than the fact that the guitar will have more wood, so it will sound SLIGHTLY thicker, but it's not that much wood so almost no sound difference (unless I'm mistaken)

Physically it's just going to be a tad bit longer, for me a longer scale feels nice, but for some it feels unnatural, so I suggest going to a local store and finding something with the same scale/number of frets and just seeing if the neck is uncomfortably long for you, if it is too long then the longer scales are something you're probably going to want to steer clear of. If it feels nice then it looks like you've already found your guitar huh?
if you are a shredder...and are used to a 24.75 it will throw you off bad...i play an ec 1000...24.75 with 24 frets...i also have an s520 which is 25.5 with 22 frets...so to me it was a big difference trying to play the ibanez...which i dont play now because im so used to the smaller scaled neck...if you arent into technical speed stuff...if you mostly do chords...slowers stuff in general...where the amount of notes you can hit in one seccond is not relavent to your playing style...it wont make that big of a difference getting used to it then
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
^Just because you're a shredder doesn't mean you can't adapt to the extra length. I know quite a few people who are considered "shredders" and play shred who frequently move from two different scales and it's not a problem for them, I wouldn't class myself as a "shredder" just yet, but it's never been a problem for me either.

Over all it's going to have to be what feels right for you. If you're used to the normal scale length and don't want to switch, don't. If you want a tad bit more tonal range or just a longer neck because your arm is cramped or your fingers are fat like mine (not a fat joke or anything, I just mean if you have wide fingers. Wide fingers + small frets = worthless guitar) then a longer scale will be beneficial.

Don't be afraid of change; but rather try to experience it. If not for the sake of finding something new to enjoy, for the sake of learning.
Thanks for the info guys!

Im gonna get it none the less. Maybe I'l like it even more!

This helped me a lot. Got this out of a guitar buyer guide:

Scale Length:
Scale length influences both the tonal quality of the notes produced and the tension of the string at a particular pitch. Scale length refers to the vibrating length of the string, which is determined by the distance between "nut" and the bridge "saddle." Fret placement (see Intonation) is a ratio based on scale length so longer scales have more distance between frets.

Most modern electric guitars employ one of two commonly used scale lengths: the "Gibson" scale, at 24-5/8" gives the Les Paul its round attack and thick bass, and the "Fender" scale at 25-1/2", which gives the Strat its clear, cutting quality. A third scale length, the 25" scale, as used by Paul Reed Smith among others produces a distinctive tone, and is not a compromise between "Gibson" and "Fender."
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz