i've been wanting a 7 string for a while and after thinking a little...i confused myself with different thoughts.

first i wanted to get a baritone, because i would still get that 6 string feel just without the **** string tension i get from tuning down so low. but i didnt like the idea of larger frets, so i then i was like, seven string!

but after watching numerous videos and listening to Nile, im having second thoughts about getting the 7 string i want.

the only thing that irks me is the string tension and the fret buzz i get with my paul. i dont know how Nile does it but they pull it off with their Dean V's...

i was thinking...
maybe its just my guitar, maybe because its such a low quality guitar, that means lower possibilities and less things i can do with it. im always on the lookout on new techniques and things i can do to make my sound more unique, and thats why i've fallen in love with that band, and other bands who do the same.

so heres my question, should i buy a 7-string or get a better, higher quality 6 string?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
go to the music store and play a seven string - if you're okay with it, I highly recommend it. If you're creative enough, there is a bunch you can do other then just metal. My primary guitar is a 7string. And since my beater 6string broke and I sold my Gibson, it is actually as of now my only guitar.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
i played one, i played the Ibanez RG7321 a while back, and i thought it was really cool.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
get an 8 string.

You say what you are looking 4 is uniqueness. If you wanted a conservative sound i say 6 string, those are my favorite. I have a 36 fret 7 string. Its awesome. But An 8 string would mean more possibilities. With the seven string I do a bunch of 8 finger tapping, where i tap chords with either hand, and legato solo with the other one.
Quote by woodsballplayer
you can do better than the RG.

i never said i was going to get it, i just said i played it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by nyandres
get an 8 string.

You say what you are looking 4 is uniqueness. If you wanted a conservative sound i say 6 string, those are my favorite. I have a 36 fret 7 string. Its awesome. But An 8 string would mean more possibilities. With the seven string I do a bunch of 8 finger tapping, where i tap chords with either hand, and legato solo with the other one.

A 36 fret 7 string?!?! OMG, PICS NOW!!!
Quote by edusty2010
A 36 fret 7 string?!?! OMG, PICS NOW!!!

dude i was thinking the same thing.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Google, Gary Kramer Turbulence R

I been posted some videos on youtube, but never with it. I guess I should post one

For those of you interested keep in mind the upper frets are a bitch to fret. I used them with tapping only. I have a hard time playing them normally. Overall, its the most comfortable, and fastest guitar I have ever played. And sustains like crazy.
I prefer the ibanez to the competiotion as far as 8 string guitars. The RG is FAR more comfortable than the ESP. The ESP is sexier though. The 8 string RG is kinda ugly.
umm if ur getting fret buzz

use heavier strings
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by ugmung
i played one, i played the Ibanez RG7321 a while back, and i thought it was really cool.
Consider the S7420(I think that's the name) it should have the same neck.

But again...if you're comfortable with the feel of a 7 and it doesn't turn you off, 7string=fun. But do consider one thing. When playing in bands, the bassist will need a 5string to keep up with you.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
If you're worried about string tension buy thicker strings.

A 7 string is going to give you an extra string, that's it. Doesn't give you more tension, or help with buzzing. That said, I prefer 7 string guitars because I like the neck's better and being able to play more notes in one position on the neck.
Last edited by Post?Organic at Mar 31, 2008,
There is the 36 fret beauty with 7 strings. Awesome guitar.

I updated the image, it was too dark
Last edited by nyandres at Mar 30, 2008,
You guys ASKED FOR PICS. Look at it, in my above post. You can clearly see its got 36 frets, a floyd rose, and of course the 7 strings. Its got one pickup, but is awesome as hell.
Quote by nyandres
There is the 36 fret beauty with 7 strings. Awesome guitar.

I updated the image, it was too dark

If a hippi had a weapon, it would look like that.
i searched for videos on youtube and came up with nothing
any links?
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Well I have not made any videos with it, but before I bought it i checked this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Depzic5tB9Y

That version however is a 6 string and its got 2 pickups, so it probably has more versatility. The version i got is awesome, but you guys may be bothered having only one pickup
Quote by NGMF-Sam
umm if ur getting fret buzz

use heavier strings

i have 12's. and i still get massive fret buzz.
i want a 7-string because it wont give me **** string tension.
or am i wrong?
no ones answering my original question!
lol
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
or am i wrong?
lol

Well I can tell you this. Adding an extra string to a guitar doesn't magically make buzz go away. The 7th string is just a added string.

I'm guessing you're guitar is setup really bad/has a messed up unlevel fret or something. What are you tuning to? Because using 12's should give you a pretty reasonable tension unless you're tuning down to A or something...
Try thicker strings possibly? I know for standard on my 7 I'm using a set of 10-52 with an added .65 as the low string. If you do something similar and just leave off the high string (.10) then that should fix your tension problems at least.

What a baritone would allow you to do is use a bit thinner string, but still get the same tension... With really thick strings (like .70+) as the low string there's definitely a noticeable difference in how it sounds.
If you're tuning to B or A yes. It's still fairly high tension compared to what most people play (Definitely more then like a set of 9-46 in standard). 70 might be a bit much, I recently switched to .65 on the low string because the .70 sounded so much different then the rest of the strings. If you like a bit looser tension (but not stupid loose) you drop it down to a set of 9-46 with an added .60 or something. That worked good in standard as well. Though it would suck if you tune down to A lol.

But it may be worth a try before you give up on your current guitar. Actually what kind of guitar is it anyways?
I'm my old band my two guitarists had there 6 strings to B or A. One was a Washburn(not dean) Dime, and another and Ibanez Iceman with stoptail(like your LP). The Ibanez got f-ed up. The Washburn after a good tech setup the floyd had far less problems. I would have thought it it to be the other way around. So everything from neck scale, bridge, to fret size have something to do with your problems.

Perhaps the tun-o-matic bridge has something to do with Nile's Deans. Not to mention after all these years and Dean backing, they've probably got the setup/hardware down.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
well i need a new guitar anyway, i have a LP-100, its a $200 guitar and im looking at recording some stuff as soon as i get a new guitar.

i've always wanted a dean though, like forever ago when i started playing...ok more like 1 and a half years ago, thats not important but i just felt like throwing it out there. lol.

so should i just get a higher quality 6 string, with thicker strings and adjust the neck and such?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Well that part is pretty much up to you haha. I prefer a 7 because you still have the high string. But yeah. Totally depends on what you're more comfortable with.
damnit, you suck.
lol.
thats why i started this thread...
:/
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Here's what I would do if you're going to buy a guitar anyway. Go try a seven, if you like it, then go for a seven. Because there's nothing you can do on a six that you can't do on a seven. Doesn't work the other way around though. Try baritone sevens if you can as well, and if you like that I would suggest that as well, longer scale length helps with the low B and means you don't have to have a massive 7th string to get any tension.
well...
i like the feel of a six...
but...
****! im confusing myself again.

the only reason why i wanted a seven string is that i thought i was getting my massive fret buzz from my bad string tension, now that you're telling me that it can be solved on a six... theres no need for me to get a seven...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
or am i wrong?
lol

Which guitar are you trying to detune and how far are you detuning?

Try getting a guitar with a larger scale length like 25.5" If that confuses you, here is what scale length is.

Scale Length:
Scale length influences both the tonal quality of the notes produced and the tension of the string at a particular pitch. Scale length refers to the vibrating length of the string, which is determined by the distance between "nut" and the bridge "saddle." Fret placement (see Intonation) is a ratio based on scale length so longer scales have more distance between frets.

Most modern electric guitars employ one of two commonly used scale lengths: the "Gibson" scale, at 24-5/8" gives the Les Paul its round attack and thick bass, and the "Fender" scale at 25-1/2", which gives the Strat its clear, cutting quality. A third scale length, the 25" scale, as used by Paul Reed Smith among others produces a distinctive tone, and is not a compromise between "Gibson" and "Fender."

A set of 13s would help just a little bit too. If your tuning in A, then just give it up and buy a bass heheehehe. That's what i've been told.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
wow, i learned something today.
i knew the basic idea of what scale length was, but not all the details. thanks.
i decided on getting a six string with 13's and if i have any problems ill adjust the truss rod, if i still have problems ill have it looked at by a professional or ill just do that before i **** with the truss rod.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
wow, i learned something today.
i knew the basic idea of what scale length was, but not all the details. thanks.
i decided on getting a six string with 13's and if i have any problems ill adjust the truss rod, if i still have problems ill have it looked at by a professional or ill just do that before i **** with the truss rod.

I would highly advise having a professional show you how to do it if you are doing your first setup. You can really mess a guitar up, trust me I know. Call around and find a Luthier or guitar tech that can help ya out there.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
If you want Metal go with the 7 string. There's nothing like a shredded, palm muted, and drop A tuned 7 string. It'll make the 6 string sound down quaint in comparsion.
Quote by mfinnan101
If you want Metal go with the 7 string. There's nothing like a shredded, palm muted, and drop A tuned 7 string. It'll make the 6 string sound down quaint in comparsion.

Umm, no it will sound pretty much exactly the same. With an extra string....