Is it better to hold a d chord with my first finger on the e string and my 2nd finger on the g, or the other way around with first on the g and second on the e? They both feel fairly comfortable but I was wondering if you guys think one way is better than the other
Wait what.

D is first finger on the G second fret second finger is High e second fret, third finger is on B 3rd fret

Thats probably the simplest way. Then just add your pinky to 3rd fret high e for Dsus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
my bad i meant the g and e strings, not the note being played
That way would make more since if you think about it.
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
i have first finger on the g second on the b and third on the e
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
Quote by MxPxPanic
Wait what.

D is first finger on the G second fret second finger is High e second fret, third finger is on B 3rd fret

Thats probably the simplest way. Then just add your pinky to 3rd fret high e for Dsus

this way kinda puts ur wrist in an awkward position

i prefer 1st on E, 2nd on G, and 3rd on B
this way matches the lenghts of your fingers: 1st shortest, 2nd longest, 3rd is in between.

however, i think the reason why MxPxPanic prefers that way is because he holds the guitar low and away from him.
or at least thats the way i find his way the most comfortable.

but if you play with the neck close to you, my way is probably better

try it.
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Just do the D/f# chord hold and you should be ok.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by imnopunkrocker9

you'd better be kidding cuz its such a pain in the ass for the 3rd to get in there...

well, TS, just hold it the way that its the most comfortable.
remember, there is no right or wrong.
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Actually there is a right and wrong way to finger certain chords. The right way's have been like that for a long time for good reasons. The masters of the past knew what they were doing and laid the foundation for everything we have today. One good reason for performing chord shapes in the correct way is the chord progression. The fingerings required are that way to best allow you to shift from one chord to the next smoothly and fluidly. When you start screwing with that foundation, you mess with the physics of guitaring. In the beginning, it's always best to learn correctly and build a solid foundation of set in stone fundamentals. Later on, when proficient, you can change it up to suit your own playing style. Everyone does this at some point.
Quote by imnopunkrocker9

lol I hope you're kidding, otherwise I thnk you may be playing the D chord wrong. There is no possible way you have your first finger and third finger on the second fret and your second finger on the third fret.
Last Album Purchased:

Portishead - roseland nyc live
Quote by MxPxPanic
Wait what.

yeha thats how I do it as well
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

I've always played the D chord on only the highest four strings. I thought you weren't supposed to play a note lower than the root note, the A string being that note.
Last Album Purchased:

Quote by eversio11
I've always played the D chord on only the highest four strings. I thought you weren't supposed to play a note lower than the root note, the A string being that note.

same here... o_O
never noticed that
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
I either hold it with my index finger barred across the bottom three strings, or use my index on the G string, middle on the B string and ring finger on the e string, usually it depends on how quickly I need to switch into it, whats coming next, things like that.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
See where he's got his thumb in that pic? He's muting the low E string. Now if he were to move it up a tad and fret the low E at the 2nd fret, he could strum all 6 strings and get a nice full sounding chord out of D. I think it's a slash chord, D/F# maybe? I call it a D with an F# in the bass. Pink Floyd anyone?
Quote by LeftyDave
See where he's got his thumb in that pic? He's muting the low E string. Now if he were to move it up a tad and fret the low E at the 2nd fret, he could strum all 6 strings and get a nice full sounding chord out of D. I think it's a slash chord, D/F# maybe? I call it a D with an F# in the bass. Pink Floyd anyone?

Yes, he could, but we're not talking about slash chords, we're talking about open position chords.
Last Album Purchased:

Quote by eversio11
Yes, he could, but we're not talking about slash chords, we're talking about open position chords.

That is an open position chord.

I do it the way that picture up there showed.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
That is an open position chord.

I do it the way that picture up there showed.

What? Did you not read the previous 5 posts?

The question remains, is that a proper way to play an open position D chord if you're hitting the A note on the open A string, which is lower than the D note played on the open D string?
Last Album Purchased:

Quote by eversio11
What? Did you not read the previous 5 posts?

The question remains, is that a proper way to play an open position D chord if you're hitting the A note on the open A string, which is lower than the D note played on the open D string?

It doesn't make that big of a difference. The note A is part of a D major triad (D-F#-A) so it's just an inversion of the D major chord. It sounds nearly identical.

And D/F# is still an open position chord.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
It doesn't make that big of a difference. The note A is part of a D major triad (D-F#-A) so it's just an inversion of the D major chord. It sounds nearly identical.

Right, which would make it an inverted chord. Mystery solved.
Last Album Purchased:

You're correct. Playing it including the open A tring makes it a D/A chord.

fret the low E at the 2nd fret, he could strum all 6 strings and get a nice full sounding chord out of D. I think it's a slash chord, D/F# maybe?

Correct, that would make it a D/F#

I play a D chord the same way that the picture that Lord-O-Donuts posted illustrates and I believe that is the best way to play it.