So.. my buddy insists on getting an electric drumset to start off, they cost around 1300 dollars. I say he gets a real set instead, are there any electric sets that even sound half decent, having a few years experience in music I say they sound like ass but he thinks they are ok so now I'm trying to see if there is such a thing as an electric set that sounds like real drums.
No, they'll never be the same. Also, they don't give you the "snap" or "pop" real drums give you. And with that much cash, he could get a killer real drum set.
^ tell that to TOOL. any song that has percussion that is not obviously a drum kit is electronic drums. also you can load your own sample banks that are velocity controlled, so it will sound as good as the samples you get for it.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
No, they'll never be the same. Also, they don't give you the "snap" or "pop" real drums give you. And with that much cash, he could get a killer real drum set.

There are advantages. Electric drums can be made almost completely SILENT. As well they are much easier to record. The newer technology keeps sounding more real. They have different variations on how open the hi-hat is based on the pressure with your foot. They even have mutable ones. Also they record much easier than acoustics, and are easier to transport.
Quote by z4twenny
^ tell that to TOOL. any song that has percussion that is not obviously a drum kit is electronic drums. also you can load your own sample banks that are velocity controlled, so it will sound as good as the samples you get for it.

he has only a few electronic things, the majority of his kit is a normal set.
^ i do know that most of wings for marie pts 1 and 2 are almost entirely (except again for the heavier part where its obviously drums) e-drums. at least live, watch some tool vids you'll see what i mean. he has a drumkit and some e-drum triggers for the "other" percussion, otherwise he'd have to carry a ton of percussive equipment out on stage. there are other bands as well (NIN) that use a vast amount of triggers.
he's just starting off aye? psst. drummers. always spending so much. The only reason I can think of that he could make use out of a cheap electronic set is if he's in a situation where he really can't make noise.

Other then that...he'll probably need to add more electronic pads, a good PA/speaker system if he wants to play in a band...but then again...if he's got the money honey...musiciansfriend has got your disease.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
he's just starting off aye? psst. drummers. always spending so much. The only reason I can think of that he could make use out of a cheap electronic set is if he's in a situation where he really can't make noise.

Other then that...he'll probably need to add more electronic pads, a good PA/speaker system if he wants to play in a band...but then again...if he's got the money honey...musiciansfriend has got your disease.

that's exactly why he wants one, so my solution is for him to move in with me for a while.
E-drums can sound bloody amazing. They can also sound ****e. It depends on (roughly in order)

-the quality of the samples that are being triggered
-the quality (ie how 'natural' and 'drummer-like') of the programming/performance.
-the quality of the triggers.

Within that, you're looking for velocity layering, location mapping (good triggers are mapped so that it can tell if you are playing at the edge or in the middle or wherever, triggering a different sample for each, representing the difference you would get by hitting a real drum in those same 'different' places), and a great sound module. Alternately, instead of a sound module, you could do it all in software, and buy a great drum sample library.

You're also looking at editing features that will 'humanize' the feel. Nothing is more of a dead giveaway than absolutely perfectly quantized drums! Learning to think like a drummer (which generally means learning how to actually play) helps a great deal too.

I would guess that for $1300, you should do fine.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.