Poll: Should We abolish them?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should We abolish them?
yes, abolish them
20 77%
no, keep them
6 23%
Voters: 26.
i just finished a massive report on electoral colleges and since we are the generation that this will most likely effect if it changes what do you guys think about it. I know there is a political thread but i cant put a poll in there, and i think this would be beneficial for more then just a few people to discuss anyways.
I actually don't think the EC is bad. Everyone always says that it causes the candidates to concentrate on the big states and ignore the smaller ones, but that's patently false. If we ran a straight popular vote, the candidates would ignore the low populace areas even more because they could take the entire election only winning highly populated areas. Because a state cannot have less than 3 votes, the electoral college gives unpopulated states like Wyoming and Alaska a higher percentage of the vote than their population calls for. This empowers small states and forces the candidates to go everywhere. Remember that our current President won both of his election without winning such electoral goldmines like California and New York. One part of the EC that can be problematic is the winner take all system of divvying out the votes, but states are totally free to change this if they want to. Colorado runs a proportional system and I'm pretty sure there are one or two other states that do also.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
this is true that both sides seem to have a fault in too much concentration on particular areas, there are reforms going around now though that would involve giving the electoral vote to the popular vote. I think that while electoral vote does usually reflect the popular vote, then how can it hurt to have a popular vote? I can see how this might cause election fraud and things though. It is quite a touchy situation.
The EC makes me feel like my vote doesn't count. It might be better if we got rid of it, but some things you can't leave up to the people. there will be all those idiots that vote for the idiots.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
candidates with only like 30 percent of the overall vote might win without EC. which isnt very cool.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
When it was invented i believe it was a good thing but now with the speed of information I believe that we could bypass the electoral and go strictly on the popular vote. Therefore Republicans in New York and Democrats in Texas can actually have their vote mean something. I can not find any ligitment reason to still have the electoral college.
I like the EC but I'm disgusted by the concept of Super-delegates. I don't get how that could possibly exist in a democratic society. That should be abolished.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
When it was invented i believe it was a good thing but now with the speed of information I believe that we could bypass the electoral and go strictly on the popular vote. Therefore Republicans in New York and Democrats in Texas can actually have their vote mean something. I can not find any ligitment reason to still have the electoral college.

+1
It had a legitimate reason for being created but now it is kind of screwing things up. The whole voting system needs an overhaul.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
well our society was originally formed to be more like a republic since every other democracy has failed before it. They say if we get rid of electoral college then our democracy may fail as those before it becuase it is our defining feature of in our democratic government.
It should not be abolished, but it should not be a winner take all system per state either. The whole purpose is to make everyone's vote have about the same strength. One electoral vote is supposed to represent around 600,000 citizens if i remember correctly. Pure popular vote is not a good idea because not every citizen can be trusted to make a rash decision.
Quote by Chikitty_China
I like the EC but I'm disgusted by the concept of Super-delegates. I don't get how that could possibly exist in a democratic society. That should be abolished.

Its so the so called "Party of the People" can override what the "People" dicide if they dont like what they dicided. Weather the dems want to belive it or not they are the direct decendents of federlist's like Alexander Hamilton who think people are too dumb to run their own country.
well the electoral college was originally made so that our country could maintain federalism.
Quote by Chikitty_China

Super delegates have nothing to do with elections or electoral law. It's all on democratic party policy.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by RedMoonMan
well the electoral college was originally made so that our country could maintain federalism.

Well you could debate forever what our country is now but its obvisoully working. But destroing the electoal college wont hurt government control at all.
we should just have a straight up vote. the electoral college gives voters in the swing states more power. everyone should have an equal vote.
Quote by RedMoonMan
well our society was originally formed to be more like a republic since every other democracy has failed before it. They say if we get rid of electoral college then our democracy may fail as those before it becuase it is our defining feature of in our democratic government.

Our country is a republic. Period. The electoral college does not diminish your vote. Your vote counts. Use it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
Well you could debate forever what our country is now but its obvisoully working. But destroing the electoal college wont hurt government control at all.

i dont think it will either, i think the only problem we will have to deal with is racial voting and fraud. It would also no long be bicameral.
The electoral college is also an integral part of our nations seperation of power between the three branches. Congress is elected in a popular vote. (Senators used to be appointed by state governors but that didn't work so well) Members of the Supreme court are appointed by the Pres. with senate approval. The president is elected by the electoral college members who are tasked by the voters of their state to cast their vote according to the popular vote. They are not bound to do this however. It is a part of the seperation between popularly elected congress and electorally elected presidents. It helps in preventing the president from holding sway over congressional elections.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.