My band is tracking songs and i need to figure out the best way to get a nice tone from my amp. I talked to one of my bandmates and he thinks its best to plug the amp into the mixer. We tried this the other day and it sounded ok but the lower notes were kinda fizzy and nasty sounding.

Do you guys think i should try and adjust my amps eq to elimate this or would it be better to mic the cab? BTW we're using a tascam 8 track recorder if thats of any importance.

Thanks in advance
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
I would mic the cab. The direct out on most guitar heads is kinda funny unless it's the new Marshall JVM series stuff with the speaker emulated balanced DI. Putting a mic on the cab will show your sound through a speaker and should sound alot better than trying to run from the head direct to the mixer.
well we record in his garage and when i told him to mic the cab he said that it'll pick up the noise of the cars driving by. He's never tried it but he thinks it will.
Quote by csn00b
A dynamic mic inside a closed garage will more than likely not pick up any cars driving by, unless its a car powered by a jet engine.
Quote by MrPillow
A dynamic mic inside a closed garage will more than likely not pick up any cars driving by, unless its a car powered by a jet engine.

hahaha. Alright thanks for the help guys. Tommorow when i get there i'll play around with it and see if it sounds better.
Quote by csn00b
yus! definitely mic that cab. do all sorts of experimentation.. straight on the cone, off axis, on the edge of the speaker, close up, or maybe a few inches away..

small room, big room.. so many choices!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Listen to the speakers at low volume...figure out which one is the best. Then mike that one. There are DI boxes specifically for amp heads (Behringer GI 100, JDX Radial) if you don't want guesswork...and the latter can enhance your tone if combined with a mike and their phaser.