I'm now looking for a smaller head, and the Soldano Astroverb seems like the ticket. "Everyone" seems to report that the Astroverb doesn't have any bass and is too "treble-ey." They all swear they've tried different cabs, even really great boutique-ey cabs, and still, no bottom end. One guy keeps saying it's too "ice picky." So, now I don't know about the Astro. YouTube clips sound great, however.

Never played an Astroverb. And, although I absolutely LOVE the sound of a Soldano SLO100, the 20-Watt Soldano Astroverb is repeatedly reported to be, "NOT A SMALL VERSION OF A SLO!"

Although, now, I'm comparing the Soldano Astroverb to used Mesa DCs, Mark IVs, etc., since they're all tending to be around the same price range, used. Plus I really like that graphic EQ the DCs and the Mark IVs come with.

I've played most of the Mesas in the store, and initially didn't like their loose low-end. But they have that growly tone that's reminiscent of a Soldano (or is it the other way around?). Any comments on any of the following amps welcomed: Soldano Astroverb, Mesa DC-series, Mesa Mark IV, etc.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 30, 2008,
I tried an Astroverb once, wasn't very impressed. I do love the SLO however.

By smaller head, do you mean power, or size? You weren't specific.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I strongly recommend trying out the Stiletto series of Mesa amp. You could think of it as the British equivalent of the Rectifier series. It comes across as a smoother and darker Marshall amp.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
well, i'm getting a DC-5 (love the sound of it), but i'm not really sure of Soldano artists. I know High on Fire uses them (granted, slaved into a Laney VH100 for added darkness) and HORSE the Band, but that's about it. When i get it, i could try nailing some tones of some Soldano Artists if you give me some (i'd offer to record some clips, but i don't have anything to record it with).
Thanks all. I was thinking "Astroverb" for its 20-Watts of tube-saturated power. Other low-Wattage amps are pricey (e.g., Mojave). If I like the sound of Soldano SLOs, which Mesa would you say is "closest?"

Also, what are some of the key differences in sound between the DC-series and Mark IV-series heads? Aren't they kinda the same amps? [edit: I guess not. EL84 vs. 6L6]
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
well, i'm getting a DC-5 (love the sound of it), but i'm not really sure of Soldano artists. I know High on Fire uses them (granted, slaved into a Laney VH100 for added darkness) and HORSE the Band, but that's about it. When i get it, i could try nailing some tones of some Soldano Artists if you give me some (i'd offer to record some clips, but i don't have anything to record it with).
Cool. Would love to hear some clips of it. Who plays Soldanos? I don't remember. Some real famous-ass guys, I know. Check out a SLO100 for yourself next time you're at a major-city Guitar Center.

Excuse the double-post, but I have a REALLY good reason . . .

GAME OVER! (Yes, again!)

And the winner is . . . a Mesa/Boogie DC-3 head!.

Well, the amps that I've always claimed that I DON'T LIKE, Mesa/Boogies, finally won my heart. I just bought a Mesa/Boogie DC-3, used. I paid far less than I would've for a Soldano Hot Rod 50+ or whatever. Yup, the guy that hates Mesas, finally succombed (I just really like that graphic EQ thingy). And yes, they sound pretty cool, too.

Congrats, dude, I'm sure you'll get some great sounds out of it.

Ha, I've gotten some amusement from the amount of gear you seem to get through. Makes me feel like a poor bastard.

Hope you enjoy it, bro.
Quote by snot_foster25
Congrats, dude, I'm sure you'll get some great sounds out of it.

Ha, I've gotten some amusement from the amount of gear you seem to get through. Makes me feel like a poor bastard.

Hope you enjoy it, bro.
Ha! Thanks! I hope so too, seeing that I've never even played a DC-3! Well, it's been a wild ride these last six months or so, trying out every amp I could find. I've actually come full-circle now, and I'm actually really, really happy with my 6505. I just got some new mic preamps, and my 6505 through a miked cab, sounds really, really amazing when recorded. I really think it's a decent substitute as a poor man's cross between a Framus Cobra and a Soldano SLO.

So now I'm looking for "different." From the clips I''ve heard, I actually prefer the Soldano Astroverb over the Mesa DC-3. But so many reviewers mentioned that the Astroverb lacked bass, I got scared off. I know Mesas are more "mid-ey," which is what I like. Hopefully, the DC-3 will still have that Mesa-ish sound, and looks to be more versatile.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by LEVEL4
Excuse the double-post, but I have a REALLY good reason . . .

GAME OVER! (Yes, again!)

And the winner is . . . Mesa/Boogie.

Well, the amps that I've always claimed that I DON'T LIKE, Mesa/Boogies, finally won my heart. I just bought a Mesa/Boogie DC-3, used. I paid far less than I would've for a Soldano Hot Rod 50+ or whatever. Yup, the guy that hates Mesas, finally succombed (I just really like that graphic EQ thingy). And yes, they sound pretty cool, too.

Congrats! I was gunnin for a DC-3 head awhile ago, but they sold it the day before i went to go pick it up. >_< Almost made me loose faith in Guitar Center (they said they'd call me if it was gunna be sold or if they got something else in, but that hasn't happened).

Glad you like it.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Congrats! Glad you like it.
Thanks! Sorry you missed out. But I don't even know if I like it! It was an Ebay purchase, and I won't get it for a week or so. Never even played one!

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 31, 2008,
haha, same thing with my up and coming dc-5. shoulda been shipped today. anxious as hell!

Haha, and you never played one? What cab you running it through? I played the DC-3 through an old JCM 800 lead cab, and it sounded great at low volumes, but they gc employee who was helping me laughed and said "turn it up!".

At max, the little f*cker drowned out the store, even the drum section, with a shatload of kids trying to pound away, and like 3 or 4 other guitarists playing at the same time. and it sounds killer cranked!!! The low end? Have you ever had a lacrosse ball hit you in the nads? Yea...that kinda punchy, tight bass. Brought a smile to my face. I had the treble on the graphic EQ maxed out at one point, with it like at 4 or 5 on the regular EQ, and was hitting notes at the 24th fret of the Caparison i was playing, and it never got harsh, even when bending. Great round sound. I didn't spend too long on the clean channel sadly, but from what i got to play with it, it was really nice. Could be bright and sparkly (i could get a Les Paul to snap like a strat), or really deep and woody.
Quote by LEVEL4
I've played most of the Mesas in the store, and initially didn't like their loose low-end. But they have that growly tone that's reminiscent of a Soldano (or is it the other way around?). Any comments on any of the following amps welcomed: Soldano Astroverb, Mesa DC-series, Mesa Mark IV, etc.

The only Mesa I've ever played that really had a loose low end is the Single/Dual/Triple Recto. I think you'll like the DC-3.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by RG_FANMAN
haha, same thing with my up and coming dc-5. shoulda been shipped today. anxious as hell!

Haha, and you never played one? What cab you running it through? I played the DC-3 through an old JCM 800 lead cab, and it sounded great at low volumes, but they gc employee who was helping me laughed and said "turn it up!".
Great! That's good to hear. Thanks for your comments! Everyone here always makes fun of my cheap Marshall cabs (MG412, MC212), but I think they sound totally fine, ESPECIALLY when miked. When double-miked with my SM57 dynamic + AT3035 large-diaphragm condensor, through my new PreSonus tube mic preamp, they sound really f*cking amazing. My DC-3 ships tomorrow. Can't f*cking wait either!!!

Quote by MatrixClaw
The only Mesa I've ever played that really had a loose low end is the Single/Dual/Triple Recto. I think you'll like the DC-3.
Thanks, Matrix! I was waiting for you to come around and chime in!

(MesaExplorer, where are you?)

Well, I certainly hope I like it! All I had to go on were a bunch of old HC reviews and some lame YouTube clips. I think it's still between a Mark IV or the DC-3 (even though the DC-3 is a done deal now). I could've gotten a used Mark IV for maybe $400-$500 more than I paid for the DC-3. The DC-3, I hope, will make for a nice contrast, with its EL84 power stage, compared with my 6505's 6L6 power stage. I plan to use the 6505 for rhythm, palm-mutes, and chugs (which is what I think these amps, in particular, really shine at), and the DC-3 for leads.

Does the Mark IV have more gain than the DC-3 in its lead channel? One HC reviewer said the DC-3's distortion was "growl-ier and more aggressive" than the Mark IV's. I was a little suspect of that comment, since I have a feeling that the Mark IVs have more gain then the DCs.

Any other comments you have, comparing the Mark IV to the DC-3? That would be most appreciated, because I can always turn around and sell the DC-3 for about what I paid, and then, get a Mark IV instead, someday.

I was a little suspect of that comment, since I have a feeling that the Mark IVs have more gain then the DCs.

The Mark IV has more gain than you'll ever need. What he means is that the voicing of the Mark IV is very tight and smooth. Much more so than Mesas more recent creations.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
The Mark IV has more gain than you'll ever need. What he means is that the voicing of the Mark IV is very tight and smooth. Much more so than Mesas more recent creations.
Yeah, I probably should have held out for a Mark IV. But this was a fairly painless entry into Mesa-land, money-wise. Mesa owners really seem to love their DCs, though. Some, actually, in favor over their Mark IVs, for those that owned both (but, I'm guessing, probably because of the cleans—they didn't specify why). Have you ever played a DC-3/DC-5?

Quote by LEVEL4
Yeah, I probably should have held out for a Mark IV. But this was a fairly painless entry into Mesa-land, money-wise. Mesa owners really seem to love their DCs, though. Some, actually, in favor over their Mark IVs, for those that owned both (but, I'm guessing, probably because of the cleans—they didn't specify why). Have you ever played a DC-3/DC-5?

I have not, but I'll be overhauling my setup come this fall, and I plan to test drive a few Mesas. If I can find one, I'll give it a try.
Cool. As always, some said the DC wasn't enough for metal, many said it had enough and more. This Myspace guy plays a DC-3. He's also using a BBE and a 32-band EQ, but it sounds amazing. [Warning: explicit language and anti-religious content.]

Myspace link using a Mesa/Boogie DC-3

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Apr 8, 2008,